Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think of the US?

(69 Posts)
Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 15:28:00

I might be opening a can of worms here but I am so curious about your opinion of the US...after being on Gransnet for awhile it seems quite negative.Could some of be blamed on believing what you read? Dont hold back your response on account of me!

henetha Tue 16-Jul-13 14:49:42

I think America, like most countries, is full of the good, the bad, and the indifferent. Generally, we can't make sweeping generalisations about other countries, I think.
But, having been to America a couple of times, once touring the north east corner in a camper van, and another time to the south-west corner, I have to say that most Americans who I met were amongst the friendliest and most welcoming people ever. I loved their openess, and frankly basked in how most of them seem to love us Brits.
The big cities, like New York and Washington, are fascinating but a bit scary, and it was small-town America which I enjoyed best. But I did fall in love with San Francisco which is just wonderful.
I don't agree with everything which happens in America, nor their politics.
Their health system appalls me, as does their views on things like abortion.
That guns are so easily obtainable I find, frankly, astounding!
But, nevertheless, I love America and Americans. I consider it is a country
which has enriched our lives.
When I can afford it I shall be over there again, eager to learn more.

Enviousamerican Tue 16-Jul-13 13:54:09

Kittylester,I've always felt comfortable and welcomed..just more so now!

kittylester Tue 16-Jul-13 13:46:22

I hope we've never made you feel uncomfortable envious smile

Butty Tue 16-Jul-13 13:14:02

That's good to hear, Envious smile

Enviousamerican Tue 16-Jul-13 12:38:37

Iam64 what a nice memory!I enjoyed reading all the postings...must say Im pleased they are so positive.I was expecting much worse! Makes me a lot more comfortable being on Gransnet. smile

GillieB Mon 15-Jul-13 19:53:19

I am another pro-American - we have visited very many times (next trip is in September), and my DH worked for an American company. I just love their "we can do it" attitude and the fact that if someone makes good, everyone is pleased for them, instead of the petty carping we get in this country if someone dares to rise above "their station".

In September we will be staying for a couple of days with two Americans we met on a cruise last year - a spontaneous invitation from lovely people and that's what we have always found: most of the people we have met have been so friendly.

I am always happy to discuss politics with people and I do find their attitude to gun laws strange, but really until the majority of people want to restrict access it will stay the same as it is - that's democracy.

feetlebaum Mon 15-Jul-13 11:52:55

Our politicians here in the UK are, at worst, incompetent. But in parts of the US there are people voting the most extraordinary people into legislative power - absolute wingnuts! They make our lot look the soul of probity and expertise. It would be funny if it didn't cause misery to so many.

I am in no way anti-American - although the nationalism and belligerent patriotism is creepy - having friends scattered there, and having visited some parts and been warmly welcomed.

Tegan Mon 15-Jul-13 10:51:13

They reviewed The Son by Philipp Meyer on Late Night Review. Sounds like an interesting view on America and one that I'd quite like to read when I have time. It spans such a long time I assume it's a very long book.

Brendawymms Mon 15-Jul-13 09:53:58

Forgot to add that his books are very hard to buy in America!!!!!

Brendawymms Mon 15-Jul-13 09:53:24

On one of my trips to the states I was reading 'The Traveller' by John Twelve Hawkes. He is a man that lives off the grid in America. His books are fiction but about all the technology available currently and how governments can track and control its citizens. By the time we reached San Francisco I was convinced I was being followed!!!!!

Iam64 Mon 15-Jul-13 09:33:19

Envious - thanks for starting an interesting thread. I'd just posted on the thread about Zimmerman and felt maybe I should start a discussion on our views on the USA. I felt a bit guilty for having a go at a whole country on the other thread, especially as I haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. We lived near an American air force base when I was about 8. Two officers from the base lived on our road, and I became firm friends with their daughters. There homes seemed exotic and so wealthy to us english children. The Americans had huge fridges, filled with fabulous food and coco cola. The father's drove convertible pink cadillacs, and at Christmas we were all invited in for drinks. This was a first for most of us children, and our parents were excited as well. My abiding memory is of the Christmas Tree, which was decorated to within an inch of its life, and when a button was pressed, the tree turned majestically in circles, whilst Silent Night sang out from the tree itself (well, that's what I believed and still do...) This would have been 1957- 9 time, and of course not long after the 2nd world war. My father had been a marine, and on reflection, must have had a lot in common with the father's of my American playmates. This anecdote is a back drop really to the continued influence and involvement of the US in my life. I now have close friends from the US, who have lived in the UK over 30 years but visit family in the states regularly. It's great to discuss politics etc with them. Members of my family have lived and worked in the US and loved lots of it, but have struggled with the level of patriotism and isolationism. My reading of novels/thrillers set in various parts of the states confirms how very different this huge country can be. The comparison to Europe is a good one - so many different cultures but a similar core.

Nonny Sun 14-Jul-13 21:34:59

We lived in Tennessee for two and a half years in the mid 1970's and loved it. People were very kind and hospitable. They made us so welcome. Some were religious others weren't. We aren't but they were wonderful to us. We were struck with amazement when visiting friends families- they said grace before a meal.
We have been back for holidays with our children to revisit places we had loved but have also visited other parts. I loved San Diego the ocean there was so blue.
Americans are rightly proud of their country and very patriotic. However the land of the free hasn't/isn't perfect and their treatment of minority groups such as the Chinese coming to their land was terrible.
The way people there can work hard and make good, without the terrible class snobbery of our own dear country still does have, is a good thing.
Politicians in both the US and the UK are the ones who involve us in wars which the more sensible people in both countries don't want. We lived in the U S just after Vietnam and Watergate when some people were quite liberal and the country was examining itself. Will it come to that again?

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 21:31:44

San Francisco is a fascinating place. The piers, Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz are unique, and instantly recognisable from all the films we watch. It feels familiar as soon as you arrive there. I hope I go back there before long.

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 21:21:55

My son lives there...anyone would be lucky to come from there.Beautiful place.People from there are considered to be free spirits and dance to the beat of their own drum...what could be nicer?

janeainsworth Sun 14-Jul-13 21:21:47

I'm another fan.
My first visit was to San Francisco and Oregon in 1983 with a 6 year old, a 3 year old and a 6-month old. Oh and mr A came too wink
We were amazed by the wonderful scenery but more so by the genuine friendliness if the Americans we met. It was the best family holiday ever.
As DS is now married to an American and living near DC and we have 2 American DGCs, our visits have become much more frequent and even more pleasurable.
Yes there are some aspects of American life that seem foreign to our way of thinking (resistance to changing gun law etc) but I feel the good outweighs the bad. I admire the pride most Americans have in their country and the fact that they really mean it when they say 'You all have a nice day.'

Deedaa Sun 14-Jul-13 21:15:58

My son in law is American - well actually he comes from San Francisco, which I gather means even other Americans think he's pretty odd! He's also the half brother of one of The Grateful Dead which might not make him your average American. One of his brothers shot himself after an argument with his wife and he has a nephew whose surname is Gordon, so he was (naturally) christened Flash. But all in all he seems fairly normal, if rather right wing with some odd ideas about the welfare state.

Ariadne Sun 14-Jul-13 20:22:53

I do thnk, envious that, since some of out travelling has included visiting American friends, and staying with them, or attending international conferences hosted by Americans, I am probably not the ideal person to answer your posts, in that my experiences have been personal. But I stick by what I have said. USA and South Africa top my list right now. And France. smile

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 19:55:10

Butty,very perceptive! smile

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:54:22

Laugh !!!!!!!!!!

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:53:43

I think that remark may be construed as "Nit picking "

Hell what do I know ?

to g/nan BTW

Greatnan Sun 14-Jul-13 19:44:50

Nonu - what makes you think anybody is trying to put you off the USA?

Butty Sun 14-Jul-13 19:44:01

Sounds sort of familiar wink

Butty Sun 14-Jul-13 19:42:44

Oh, and forgot 'isolationist'.

Butty Sun 14-Jul-13 19:41:49

Envious
Over the years, I've visited most of the East Coast; Georgia through to Maine.
It is such a complex and big continent, so I'll pare down my thoughts.

Dysfunctional politics, very friendly people, beautiful scenery, innovative and culturally diverse.

Always, always enjoyable - but that's probably because I have quite a few members of my family living there. smile

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 19:31:13

I get really upset at the view other countries have of England [I say England and not Britain as I feel that they have national identities of their own on the world stage]. I think that, as a people, we are incredibly socially aware and tolerant, and yet the rest of the world seems to hate us [the exceptions being America and Crete]. But I suppose I am basing this on the Eurovision Song Contest blush. The plan is to visit America next year anyway, so I'll be able to judge for myself, although it will be one of those 'if it's Friday it must be Las Vagas' sort of coach trips.