Gransnet forums

Chat

Pay TV for Royal Family.

(36 Posts)
HUNTERF Mon 22-Jul-13 16:40:53

Instead of announcing things like the Royal birth on general television why not create a Royal pay TV channel and anybody who is interested can pay to watch this channel and anybody who is not interested dies not pay.

Frank

merlotgran Mon 22-Jul-13 16:45:13

Anyone who is not interested doesn't have to watch anyway, Frank

Notso Mon 22-Jul-13 16:45:51

What a brilliant idea Frank!

We could also have pay TV for Soaps/News/Comedy/Drama/Music/Children/Reality/blah/blah
Just pay for the things you want to watch!

Has to be a whole lot easier than just not switching on the things you're not interested in.

Ana Mon 22-Jul-13 16:50:32

Notso! grin

kittylester Mon 22-Jul-13 16:55:04

I know, we could call the annual charge the TV licence!

HUNTERF Mon 22-Jul-13 16:55:11

Notso

Yes I agree with what you are saying.

merlotgran

Televising the Royal family should not be done at the expense of any antiroyalist and I am sure there are plenty of antiroyalists who are TV licence holders.

Frank

Anne58 Mon 22-Jul-13 16:58:21

Frank if you start down that route, you could then argue that no church services should be broadcast at the expense of someone who doesn't happen to be C of E.

Cookery programmes featuring meat should not be shown at the expense of vegetarians, etc etc

Anne58 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:01:19

gardening programmes should not be subsidised by those with only a window box, childcare programmes, motoring programmes blah blah....

Anne58 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:03:11

And of course nobody who is totally lacking a sense of humour should have any part of their licence fee used to produce comedy programmes

j08 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:10:45

Oh! Why should we scrap historical and well loved customs just for the sake of a few mean minded idiots in this country. angry

merlotgran Mon 22-Jul-13 17:22:13

Frank I object to my licence fee being used to televise golf. I'm sure there are plenty of anti-golfers who are TV licence holders.

j08 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:27:55

I hadn't read the OP properly. I thought you were talking about the putting it up on a noticeboard outside Buck house.

Still an odd idea. It's national news.

Movedalot Mon 22-Jul-13 17:48:07

Can I add football and snooker to the list of things to pay for please?

Anne58 Mon 22-Jul-13 17:49:28

Oooh yes, football must go on the list!

glammanana Mon 22-Jul-13 17:58:34

Oh and whilst we are adding programmes can we add Money programmes and any thing to do with keep fit oh I nearly forgot Pensions advice we get enough on here for free.hmm

glammanana Mon 22-Jul-13 18:03:23

There are always going to anti-royalists but I think the majority of the Country will benefit from the feelgood facture the birth of this child will bring,all the profit for factories and workers producing goods to celebrate the birth and the tills ringing in the Public Houses giving the Landlord a welcome boost to their income which has fallen dractically over the last years.

bluebell Mon 22-Jul-13 18:18:45

The Guardian website has a republican button you can press and the no stories about 'it' will come up! Brilliant - wish the red button on the TV did the same. And the idea that 'it' will revitalise the economy? Oh go away - grumps off - serves me right for looking at this thread, I knew this would happen but I'm sat in a hotel room afraid to put on the TV...

Ana Mon 22-Jul-13 18:20:24

Trust the Guardian to come up with that idea...grin

glammanana Mon 22-Jul-13 18:27:22

I am well aware it will not revitalise the economy but every little helps if it keeps people in some jobs making these goods,my flag is planted in a pot in my garden and there it will stay until the celebrations have finished.

vampirequeen Mon 22-Jul-13 18:34:33

How long do we have to celebrate for?

merlotgran Mon 22-Jul-13 18:35:03

Golly Gosh shock All those people gathering outside Buckingham Palace and nobody is holding a gun to their heads. crown

Ana Mon 22-Jul-13 18:41:16

Ooh! We have a crown!!!

annodomini Mon 22-Jul-13 18:46:38

I am not specially anti the present lot of royals - they didn't ask to be born into these positions, although none of them has walked away from a life of privilege. It's the system that has created them that I object to, but nevertheless, I fear the presidential system. Do we want a Dubya in our country? How about a President Farrage? hmm

HUNTERF Mon 22-Jul-13 19:00:50

Well I am annoyed I have just put my TV on and wasted electric viewing crowds outside the hospital.
I turned it off quick.

Frank

j08 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:04:33

Oh, the crown is very sweet. GNHQ are getting excited. Bless. smile