Gransnet forums

Chat

Justice in Florida

(9 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 24-Jul-13 13:14:37

It's good to see that the US justice system gets it right sometimes.

Jailed for fraud

In the USA they are very hard on 'white-collar' crime .... maybe we could learn a lesson or two. Here, this British trio would have got six months in an open prison.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Jul-13 15:04:44

If that. I know of scallies who have been sent down for shoplifting a few hundred pounds worth of stuff from a major store who will pass the cost on to all customers whereas a 'businessman' I knew was given a suspended sentence for defrauding friends, neighbours and even his GP out of just over £3million altogether. Some lost their life savings.

I'm not saying either is right but sometimes it seems that the more you steal the less punishment you get.

Pete Wed 24-Jul-13 15:31:00

...or maybe the colour of your shirt collar.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Jul-13 17:28:01

That's very true Pete.

My favourite 'injustice' was the scally who got sent to prison for 6 months for twoc'ing....mind you it was the Chief Constable's car grin

glammanana Wed 24-Jul-13 17:32:33

In one of the papers yesterday a woman and two men all English where charged again in The Canaries for fraud,the type where you buy a timeshare when you "win" a prize on a scratch card two years ago they got off on a technicality with people loosing a total of 3/4 million in total,but they where super greedy and got caught again this time to the tune of another 3m. I hope they throw the book at them this time and hope the story is given mega media exposure just to stop people being taken in by these fraudsters.

Pete Sat 27-Jul-13 09:38:59

Good to see the pervert broadcaster have his 'sentence' doubled, still too lenient, but a step in the right direction.

sunseeker Sat 27-Jul-13 09:49:01

Ariel Castro has been sentenced to life imprisonment PLUS 1,000 years. Don't think he will be out on the streets again!

Pete Sat 27-Jul-13 11:57:40

That sounds a bit harsh sunseeker life + 999 years would have done !

JessM Sat 27-Jul-13 12:36:42

hmm Suppose this is to differentiate him from all the US citzens that get imprisoned for relatively minor things. Need a long scale when you start with 3 x possession of a tiny bit of cannabis.
Pleased to see that poor woman was allowed to leave Dubai this week - the one who reported she had been raped and found herself charged with adultery and drinking. Wondering why people are so keen to go there on holiday.