Gransnet forums

Chat

Should women's mags be given an overhaul now?

(30 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:15:51

After the debate about lads' mags, I heard part of a debate this morning about the way women's mags have evolved from having household and fashion tips, craft ideas and short stories to today's contents which comprise gossip stories about celebs, how to get a good fake tan, horror stories about women being attacked in abusive relationships, and unrealistic, photoshopped images of women that instil unachievable expectations in young girls.

I rarely buy women's mags now. When I was working, I bought the odd Take a Break or Chat because stories about offenders I knew were in the double page spreads (usually completely untrue or wildly distorted). It's the semi-scientific, gardening or Private Eye type that I'll occasionally pick up now, but I have fond memories of women's mags that I bought with the weekly shop when I was a young mum. Should all women's mags be given a spark of new life?

whenim64 Tue 30-Jul-13 12:25:44

Thanks, Hunt I have to confess that I read whatever I can for free online. blush

grannyactivist Tue 30-Jul-13 13:24:46

I've never bought a regular magazine and haven't purchased one now for at least twenty years. When I went to the hairdresser I used to skip through the glossy magazines, but haven't even done that for years because it was all trashy stuff about people I'd never heard of. I must say that the prices of glossy magazines are staggeringly high and I would rather use the money to buy a new book for my Kindle.

MargaretX Wed 31-Jul-13 10:01:03

I have The Lady delivered to Germany once a week, where it is shared by three households. We like the gardening the book reviews, radio and TV reviews. The writing is perfect. straight to the point, no slang.
Of course there is a tendency to feature the royal family or Judy Dench on the cover but at least they are all well dressed. I could without the airbrushed photos of Colin Firth, but the LadyGram puzzle is addictive and as long as they produce that everyweek I shall buy it.

whenim64 Wed 31-Jul-13 10:06:38

Margaret you can cut out the airbrushed photos of Colin Firth and post them to me! grin