Gransnet forums

Chat

Long pregnancies

(7 Posts)
pinkprincess Thu 08-Aug-13 00:50:41

Both of mine were late, DS1 by 23 days, DS2 by 10 days.
DS2 was due on my birthday but the little charmer must of decided he did not want to share birthdays with his mother that's probably the reason he hung on inside.

FlicketyB Wed 07-Aug-13 14:17:33

I was born three weeks late - and after much persuasion. DS was 2 weeks late similarly - the medical authorities wouldn't let me wait any longer.

After much confusion about dates I was able to persuade my GP to allow me to travel to the other side of the county for a scan on the very new scanning machine when expecting DD - and she arrived on the date the scan suggested, which was nearly a fortnight later than my latest date from the GP

Sook Wed 07-Aug-13 12:57:54

According to my MiL, DH (her second child) was six weeks late and the heaviest of all her sons. (1952)

A friend of mine had her daughter four weeks later than her given date, again another large baby. (1973)

Obviously this doesn't happen nowadays because of all the up to date technology available. DH was a 'blue' baby a result of his mother being Rhesus negative and he is Rhesus O positive. Again this doesn't happen now because Rhesus neg mums are vaccinated after the birth or they were in the 1980s.

JessM Wed 07-Aug-13 12:41:37

Based on this - human pregnancies vary in length a lot more than was previously thought?
My sister and I were both born at 38 weeks, as were both my sons.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130806203327.htm

kittylester Wed 07-Aug-13 12:23:22

DD2 told us she was pregnant in January - the baby is due in October. It has been a very long pregnancy. grin

ninathenana Wed 07-Aug-13 11:46:41

I shall make a point of reading that. DH has always maintained that MIL was given a due date of February, his birthday is April.
Unfortunately MIL isn't around to confirm the fact.

petra Wed 07-Aug-13 10:46:22

There is an article in the Mail today on this subject. Maybe now people won't look at me a bit sideways when this subject comes up and I tell them my story.
My given date with DD was 22nd December; she was born on the 4th February! There was nothing untoward through my pregnancy as in the size of my baby. Everything was just as it should have been. When I asked the Doctor when she was going to be born; he was honest and said he had no idea.