Gransnet forums

Chat

Employing idiots?

(67 Posts)
Movedalot Wed 14-Aug-13 13:31:38

Just listening to the latest unemployment figures and wondering why there are still so many stupid people in work!

Yesterday I asked for a holiday quote "asap after 10th October".

Email response this morning quoting flying on 9th October.

I responded that I had asked to go after 10th

Travel agent replied that the flight operator said their was no flight on 10, it was on 9th.

I reminded her that I had said any time after 10th

She said but the flight is on 9th

I said I can't go until after 10th

She asked if I would be prepared to go the following week.

Is it only me who has to deal with such people? I seem to get so many of them! How hard it is not to say something unpleasant in response!

Aka Thu 15-Aug-13 07:42:45

It's not so much the correcting the grammar, I think that was for clarification. It was the 'when at you going to learn how to speak English?' which I found rude.

sunseeker Thu 15-Aug-13 09:12:40

To get back to the original post - I gave my accountant everything he needs to complete my tax return, after 6 weeks he emails me to say he needs another document. I know I put that document with the everything I sent him (everything in separate clearly marked folders), so emailed back asking him to double check. Later received email to say he had "tracked it down" shock. This happens every year.

I am now considering whether I need to do a self assessment tax return in future as my income has considerably reduced.

deserving Thu 15-Aug-13 09:18:16

The thread was about employing idiots, not a word I would have chosen,Oh I don't know though.
Nothing to do with being xenophobic, but about the "idiots" we have voted in, (employed) that will allow another mass immigration into our, already, overpopulated country.Refrain from arguing,ignore my post as has been suggested (The typical approach to the forthcoming problem).Don't attempt to vilify me in the usual "ladylike" manner, smile.Just abide a while and see if I am correct.
The immigrants did not create this situation, they just exploit it.Blame the idiots we employ. (Is that better? Seems like the thread to me)

Reddevil3 Thu 15-Aug-13 09:37:12

Aka I am never rude unintentionally.

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Aug-13 10:39:52

Good morning everybody

On the subject of employing idiots, I could tell you the story of my microwave delivery. That would take hours though, so I'm just going to remind you about our Talk Guidelines.

hummingbird Thu 15-Aug-13 10:49:18

Nicely done, Charlotte! grin

CelticRose Thu 15-Aug-13 10:53:02

Has anyone had to call BT for IT help? Just asking. Just throwing a little more raw onion into the pot. {grin}

CelticRose Thu 15-Aug-13 10:53:25

grin even.

CelticRose Thu 15-Aug-13 10:57:35

Gracesmum Don't forget the Normans and the Vikings - or the Romans even. grin (Just practicing my upper and lower cases really.)

petallus Thu 15-Aug-13 11:02:22

It said on the radio that these days it is okay to split an infinitive.

petallus Thu 15-Aug-13 11:02:56

My point being, times change and older folk often don't change with them.

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Aug-13 11:10:20

I am going to tell you about the microwave delivery anyway.... grin

It was meant to arrive between 8 and 1 so I took the morning off work. I was at home, downstairs, alone, all the time. Around 12 I checked the online tracker to see that it had been delivered and signed for an hour ago by "Elise".

Phoned the company.

"Are you CERTAIN there's no-one in your house called Elise?"

Let's not even get into that one... admittedly, none of us are quite sure what's lurking at the back of the understairs cupboard, but I'm pretty sure we'd have noticed an Elise leaping out of it to sign for the new microwave. hmm

Company go off to call the delivery company and get them to interrogate the driver. I was all in favour of naked 1000-watt bulbs and thumbscrews but apparently HR would have objected sad.

Finally, after two days' worth of chasing, it transpired that the microwave, our lovely new microwave, had been delivered to (and accepted by) a house with a similar address 10 minutes down the road.

"We're very sorry. We'll collect it today."

"And then if it's still safe in its box you'll bring it round here?"

"Well no, I'm sorry, you'll have to be refunded and re-order...."

[sigh] wine

The second one, at least, turned up safely.

Movedalot Thu 15-Aug-13 11:11:20

I'll wander off the thread with you petal and tell you that I think I have changed more since retirement than any time in the previous 30 years! grin all down to attitude.

Anne58 Thu 15-Aug-13 11:12:13

Charlotte rather similar to my coffee machine saga!

CelticRose Thu 15-Aug-13 11:15:37

Petallus Just spent 3 weeks on entrance exam for FE. Course is nothing at all to do with the need for Eng (Lang) or (Lit) but I have had to send essay after essay plus other written English and verbal tests. I got to that point where I didn't know my Future Perfect to Future Continuous and left elbow from the right. Wonder if the examiner knows Double Dutch.

petallus Thu 15-Aug-13 11:21:44

I'm learning Spanish and have trouble getting to grips with the grammar sections because i don't actually know what terms like past participle mean in English.

CelticRose Thu 15-Aug-13 11:25:34

Right there with you Petal. Time to hit the wine bottle. Am in a right mucking fuddle.

grandimars Thu 15-Aug-13 11:39:38

Charlotte I have had two similar incidents with a delivery company (I wonder if it's the same lot) and on each occasion they have asked me if I have a white front door. Well, yes, I have - but so do the other 90 odd flats in this development! One time it was left outside another property, the second time they claimed to have tried twice to deliver, even though I was at home on both occasions at the time registered on their computer system. I complained to Amazon and suggested they don't use that company any more.

Gally Thu 15-Aug-13 11:44:35

I ordered a garden shed last week. Please deliver after the 21st says I. They rang back and said ' it will be delivered this Thursday the 15th is that ok?' duh. I don't think they are idiots, they just don't listen, they don't take in the given information and they certainly don't think laterally.

Movedalot Thu 15-Aug-13 12:29:35

We have large double wrought iron gates which we never close, beyond them is a drive with a very clear view. We had an email message to say that they couldn't deliver as there was no access! Funny how an enormous removal van managed it when we moved in. DH went out and put huge notices everywhere outside when they were due to deliver next time, neighbours must have wondered what was going on! Actually, probably not, they know we are weird grin

BAnanas Thu 15-Aug-13 16:53:58

Anyone remember Dolcis? Went in there many years ago when my boys were little to try to buy some Converse ankle boots one of them wanted. There wasn't anyone on the shop floor except a girl stacking handbags on shelves, went over to her and asked if she was serving to which she responded "does it look like it?" Also in the same shop on another occasion, enquiring about a child's shoe which they didn't appear to have in stock, an employee kindly explained "that it had been so popular that they had no option but to discontinue it!" "doooooh!" as Homer Simpson might say, didn't think it worked like that! It always made complete sense to me when they went into receivership!

A similar experience many years ago in old established store of yesteryear in Richmond. Having moved house we went in there to order some blinds for several windows. It was about 4.40, shop closed about 5.30. Approached assistant in the curtain/blind department with our requirements, and she told us sighing "this is going to take a while, I don't really want to be doing an order of this size at this time of the day". We did point out that we had nearly an hour before the store was due to close, assistant sighed again and said "oh I suppose so". We apologised for inconveniencing her muttering something along the lines of "as they are a shop we mistakenly thought that it was their objective to make money from customers who wanted to buy things, but not to worry we would go elsewhere" A couple of years later whilst strolling through the high street, we were approached by a woman with a petition, she was collecting signatures pretty much on the basis that this store had been in the town for ages and now it was closing as a large supermarket had out bidded for it's site and as it had been in that town for so long it would be a tragic loss. I said "based on my experiences we wouldn't want to sign her petition as it's longevity wasn't a good enough reason for it's existence!

Greatnan Thu 15-Aug-13 17:32:14

Shoe shop staff seem to be a great source of anecdote. I have often been told they have a size 6 when I have asked for a 7. I am tempted to ask if they are suggesting I cut off my toe. I liked the look of some boots in the window of a well known shoe store in Chester and asked to try them on. I was told they weren't stocking them yet because they wanted to see how much interest there was in them. I asked how many disappointed customers it would take to convince them.
I once asked in M & S for a certain make of bra in 38C and was told they had none in stock because it was the most popular size. When I asked why they didn't just buy more, the assistant seemed unable to grasp the concept of supply and demand.

shelby75 Thu 15-Aug-13 17:37:07

A GP once asked me about any operations etc when registering at a new practice and she asked me, "Are you sure you've had a C-section? I can't see it in your notes"

Movedalot Thu 15-Aug-13 17:50:42

Why do M & S put the small bras at the top of the fixture and the big ones at the bottom? I've asked but not got a sensible reply. Same in the supermarkets with the tights. Surely it is more than likely that the small sizes will be for the shorter person and the bigger sizes for the larger? I'm used to looking around for some tall bloke to reach things down for me but you don't usually see them in the bra section of M & S. grin

Movedalot Thu 15-Aug-13 17:52:10

Not so long ago I had a scan of my abdomen and forgot to tell the Consultant that my gall bladder had been removed. He must have seen the scar, its huge, but asked me in all seriousness if it had been removed because he couldn't see it.