Gransnet forums

Chat

Answer on a general knowledge quiz.

(69 Posts)
Greatnan Wed 14-Aug-13 18:57:30

Q. Where is Belize - in Central America, Africa or Asia.
A. I have been to Central America, so I know it is not there. I will say Asia.
Host: Where have you been in Central America?
A. Ohio and Washington.

The presenter had some difficulty in keeping a straight face.

Eloethan Wed 28-Aug-13 22:02:01

These are very funny. I love the pork pie instead of 20 Senior Service.

JessM Thu 29-Aug-13 07:42:02

just caught up... bananas I was amazed once when asking my boss how his 2 weeks in Majorca had gone to discover he had stayed inside the hotel, lying by the pool etc for the entire 2 weeks and never ventured out.

A friend of mine went to teacher training school when she was in her 30s. The college was on top of a big hill. Sitting outside one sunny lunchtime with some younger students they saw a solitary duck waddle past.
Student: How did that get here?
My friend: Flew, I suppose.
Student: What? You mean ducks can fly?

I once observed a secondary teacher giving a lesson about the poem The Pied Piper. It became painfully obvious that she did not have a clue that "ermine" was a kind of fur.

Greatnan Thu 29-Aug-13 07:57:54

I asked a friend who was going to Benidorm if she had ever been to Spain before and she replied 'I don't know, we fly.' She also never left the hotel grounds.
The only time I stay in my hotel is when I go to Nuweiba on the Red Sea, for a snorkelling holiday, as there is nothing to see outside but sand!

My brother was a merchant seaman. Once, he came back with a mate after several weeks going backwards and forwards to the USA. When they got back to Manchester, his friend invited him to go with him to stay with his mother in Blackpool - 'for the sea air'.

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Aug-13 12:29:47

Two members of my reading group were on holiday together last year. Gazing out over a cove one evening, one (a teacher in her late 30s) remarked that it was such a shame there wasn't a beach there. She had never realised before that the tide went in and out.

I loved the way she told us this story herself. I'm sure we've all missed some bits of common knowledge somewhere along the line. My family all turned and gawped last Christmas when it became obvious that I had no idea that Andrea Bocelli is blind.

KatyK Thu 29-Aug-13 12:39:41

I've only just realised that ducks can fly blush

annodomini Thu 29-Aug-13 13:10:50

I sent a Christmas card of one of Cheshire's 'black and white' houses to a relation in Sweden. She responded that she never knew there was so much history in Cheshire. And she's one of my more intelligent relatives...

petra Thu 29-Aug-13 14:24:41

This will only mean something to anyone who knows the Army & Navy roundabout in Chelmsford.
I was working there when they built the bypass. I was working with a man who had worked and lived in Chelmsford all his life.
When the bypass was finished this man came to me one day and asked: How do I get out of Chelmsford now they have built the bypass.

JessM Thu 29-Aug-13 15:41:31

I have no idea who Andrea Bocelli is, let alone the capacity of her various sense organs!

JessM Thu 29-Aug-13 15:42:22

DH just told me that she is a he. grin

absent Thu 29-Aug-13 19:59:06

I'd never heard of him either JessM but it turns out that I have heard him.

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Aug-13 21:15:23

Ditto Absent. I really must make an effort to concentrate on learning these famous names.

simtib Thu 29-Aug-13 21:38:54

petra It's the roads out near B&Q and the A12 interchange that I always have to think about as they cross over each other.

Galen Thu 29-Aug-13 21:41:04

Not quite general knowledge but, I had to share this.
'Since my tax credits have been stopped, my penus has turned purple' confused

NfkDumpling Fri 30-Aug-13 09:06:35

Wonderful! I wonder if it's a common phenomenon.

JessM Fri 30-Aug-13 17:38:39

Was there a causal link galen hmm

Galen Fri 30-Aug-13 17:52:48

Actually he'd had a right inguinal hernia repaired so it was bruising. It really made us all laugh though!
I'd heard claimants cite a lot of problems due to removal of benefits, but this one was new to me!

susieb755 Tue 03-Sep-13 22:47:36

I have chuckled at these - my DD - I never quite know where we got her from, given the other boys have real interest in world affairs etc, has come up with some classics over the years

age 14 at a level crossing - i never knew trains had wheels '
age 15
'what? Elton Johns gay??!! ,
'Did Jimi Hendrix play for Chelsea' '
Is Bali where Lemon Barley ( bali) water comes from?
Really? I thought zebras were made up like unicorns
Did you know that Mrs Gills Pie is really called Gillespie?

Honestly I swear her daughter age 2 has more general knowledge that she does !

Eloethan Wed 04-Sep-13 09:05:14

A friend of my mum's - now sadly passed away - was talking about Dame Edna Everidge and said what a shame it was that she had so many problems with her husband!