Gransnet forums

Chat

Weather

(100 Posts)
Brendawymms Fri 25-Oct-13 19:20:36

For those in the south you may remember the weather for October 1987 when it was very warm and very wet during the month until the night of the 16th when we had the "hurricane" and great areas were damaged and without electricity for some time. The weather at the moment reminds me of then and with the gale, with 80mph gusts due Sunday night early Monday I worry. It was also about midnight to 4am it struck last time. What do other GN'ers think?

Brendawymms Sat 26-Oct-13 19:14:06

Bought some paraffin today £9.15 for FOUR ltrs. Amazingly expensive. All ready for the worst, candles assembled and lamps ready so we will not need them now. wink

merlotgran Sat 26-Oct-13 19:21:42

The trouble with being prepared is putting it all away again if it's not needed. Still, better than stumbling around in the dark with DH shouting, 'Doesn't this bloody house have a torch?'

He always blames the house. hmm

JessM Sat 26-Oct-13 19:32:15

Gosh they are obviously quite worried down south. Pretty darn windy on the N Wales coast this afternoon - it has been a few years since we have had serious autumnal gales. A few brave souls out in yachts and dinghy sailing. At least one dinghy getting towed back to sailing school.
We had a lovely mostly sheltered walk down a land decked with ivy flowers - very strong scent of honey from them, despite the wind.
I remember going onto Swansea beach once with the dog when there was a rather extreme storm in the 1990s - you could not walk into the wind. When I saw the slates starting to peel off the marina roof like a deck of cards I thought it wise to retreat indoors!
It will hit trees hard if they still have leaves on them. One thing I will predict - this year we will not be having a display of autumn colour in November (if you haven't had it already, forget it) because this storm will strip the leaves.

Galen Sat 26-Oct-13 19:36:45

Will look for my candles and torches tomorrow!

Galen Sat 26-Oct-13 19:37:06

Oh! Need some matches!

Brendawymms Sat 26-Oct-13 20:50:07

I was in the charity shop this pm for my regular shift and the anticipated weather was all anyone was talking about. Along with reminiscing about 87 of course I have not known people to be so worried. I sincerely hope it's all a big anticlimax.

Galen Sat 26-Oct-13 20:54:35

I was in Southampton on a course for the 87 one! I was terrified.

Tegan Sat 26-Oct-13 20:55:09

It's rather windy here in the East Midlands now shock. May sleep downstairs tonight....

Charleygirl Sat 26-Oct-13 22:56:13

It is quite windy here tonight. I must dismantle my rotary drier tomorrow as I do not fancy it sailing through my patio doors. I must also try to stuff the garden chairs in the shed.

My car is in its allocated space under a tree with overhanging branches. I may move it directly outside my house. If there is no electricity etc. I will return to bed and stay there.

I think that I will set up a litter tray for my cat because she will not go out tonight so no way will she be going out in 80mph winds.

I do hope that the weathermen have got it all wrong.

hebrideanlady Sat 26-Oct-13 23:22:34

I do hope the winds are not as bad as forecasted my daughters live in the East Midlands. We get horrendous gales here and it is very frightening

glassortwo Sat 26-Oct-13 23:29:05

I thinking of you all down there, my DS slept through the 87 gales in London, got up the next morning wondering what had happened. Hope you all manage to sleep through it and dont suffer any damage.

Charleygirl Sat 26-Oct-13 23:35:55

"glassortwo* I was in exactly the same position as your daughter, I also slept through the gales and could not understand why there was such devastation on the roads when I attempted to drive to work the next day.

grannyactivist Sun 27-Oct-13 01:09:12

We've already had some strong winds and rain, but I have to confess I do find it exhilarating. I love walking along the esplanade and dodging the waves when they come crashing over - occasionally getting caught out and arriving home in soggy state with a smile on my face. Don't like to drive in very stormy weather though - far too scary.

PRINTMISS Sun 27-Oct-13 08:11:27

Like you grannyactivist I like to walk along the seafront when the waves are riding high, I have so many photographs of 'white-horses' and about five minutes of video time! The other half thinks I am mad, and just sits in the car while I am out and about. Takes all sorts of course.

Brendawymms Sun 27-Oct-13 08:18:12

Still many hours till storm due but it's very windy. Lots of apples on the grass this morning.
In the 87 storm the house was actually vibrating and I was very scared. DH just told me to go to sleep as he had to go to work early. The children were delighted in the morning because their school was badly damaged.
I know it's great to watch waves but be careful all!

BAnanas Sun 27-Oct-13 08:25:35

PRINTMISS, I agree, I also like gazing at white horses on a rough sea.

sunseeker Sun 27-Oct-13 08:36:17

This will be the first big storm since I have been on my own and I have to say I am very nervous. My logical side is telling me there is nothing I can do so to just sit tight and hope for the best but my more imaginative side isn't listening! I have already put the lighter patio furniture in the garage but I can't move the heavy cast iron stuff so am hoping it will be OK (I have dragged it into the most sheltered spot).

Candles are ready and will make up fire just in case I can't switch heating on Monday - will also make sure lap top is fully charged so I can come on Gransnet and see how everyone has got on. Good Luck everybody.

Brendawymms Sun 27-Oct-13 08:55:40

Only if the internet is working sunseeker!

Galen Sun 27-Oct-13 09:26:18

ThAts one good thing about iPad! 3G
Sil has just asked on Facebook 'how do you reset a toddlers clock?'

J52 Sun 27-Oct-13 10:08:52

In 1987 I was teaching in a London school. During the hurricane the wooden garage housing the outside toys blew away. Insurance wouldn't pay up because we couldn't find the bits!!
It's been very windy for 3 days here in SW Scotland,so goodness knows what it will be like if it gets worse. X

hebrideanlady Sun 27-Oct-13 10:13:01

Storms are very frightening, The locals here told me to always put earplugs in, it does seem to help a little bit if the wind doesn't sound as loud, Good luck to all of you smile

Tegan Sun 27-Oct-13 11:21:46

sunseeker; you're not on your own cause we're all here [unless the power goes off, that is!]. I leave my pooter on most of the time and will probably keep in on overnight to get updates.

kittylester Sun 27-Oct-13 11:38:49

The wind is definitely picking up in our bit of the East Mids Tegan.

Do you think the weather is a good enough excuse not to go on tomorrow's 'Mental Health' Course 15 miles away? thlgrin

harrigran Sun 27-Oct-13 11:48:54

If the power is off so will the router for the broadband.
I am leaving for Cumbria shortly and hope everything will be fine.
Take care of yourselves, I will be offline for a week.

janepearce6 Sun 27-Oct-13 12:00:48

Yes, taken the two candlesticks in my eBay shop out in case - otherwise nothing - what will come will come - fortunately living in a flat, others have the responsibility in the aftermath!