Gransnet forums

Chat

Remembrance

(60 Posts)
Galen Sat 09-Nov-13 22:54:40

Should we?
My judge asked me today, as we are sitting together on Monday. Should we observe the two minute silence?
I said yes!
In fact, I would actually like to say the the ' they shall not grow old, as we are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, or the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we WILL remember them'
What do you folks think.?

glammanana Sun 10-Nov-13 12:27:02

With you all the way Galen. the little girl shown at The Festival of Remberence reminds me of the children who ran to meet their daddies who came home after their tour of duty and of the children whose daddies didn't come home to them and until something like this happens within your family or to someone who you know it is probably hard to understand.

Anniebach Sun 10-Nov-13 11:40:06

We should respect the two minutes silence.

I didn't like the festival of rememberence last night . Do we need to see a child greeting her father or hear a heavenly choir as the bereaved walked across the floor to emotionally move us? Can we not weep for the lives lost without the dramatic visual drama.

Atqui Sun 10-Nov-13 11:31:33

Go for it Galen

annodomini Sun 10-Nov-13 11:21:31

A very moving poem, GA. Thank you for that. I am still sitting watching the ceremony from the Cenotaph, reminded of the times I marched along the prom at Ardrossan, carrying the Union flag for the Girl Guides, and wearing a couple of jumpers under my uniform, to combat the wind off the Firth of Clyde.

henetha Sun 10-Nov-13 11:14:38

We should never forget. Absolutely never. We owe our freedom to our armed forces.

Grandmanorm Sun 10-Nov-13 11:13:30

Yes Galen absolutely. I am siting watching The Remembrance service and crying.

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:57:19

As we prepare for the 2 minutes' silence:

' they shall not grow old, as we are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, or the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we WILL remember them'

grannyactivist Sun 10-Nov-13 09:53:51

Sunset Vigil

The news is spread far and wide
Another comrade has sadly died
A sunset vigil upon the sand
As a soldier leaves this foreign land

We stand alone, and yet as one
In the fading light of a setting sun
We’ve all gathered to say goodbye
To our fallen comrade who’s set to fly

The eulogy’s read about their life
Sometimes with words from pals or wife
We all know when the CO’s done
What kind of soldier they’d become

The padre then calls us all to pray
The bugler has Last Post to play
The cannon roars and belches flame
We will recall, with pride, their name

A minute’s silence stood in place
As tears roll down the hardest face
deafening silence fills the air
With each of us in personal prayer

Reveille sounds and the parade is done
The hero remembered, forgotten by none
They leave to start the journey back
In a coffin draped in the Union Jack

Sgt Andy McFarlane, 2009.

Aka Sun 10-Nov-13 09:31:25

No question Galen it must be observed.

I wil have a 2-year old GD and. 3-year old GS here on Monday. I doubt I'll get them to just sit in silence, but instead I'll make it storytime when I show them a poppy and explain why we wear it. That will be my way of remembering and I'll ask their granddad to play the last post on his tuba.

gratefulgran54 Sun 10-Nov-13 09:30:40

Like you sunseeker I have always stopped at 11am on the 11th Nov, wherever I am.

I have come across some very rude, ignorant people in the past who have not appreciated me doing this (while working in a shop for example), but I totally agree with you that it is the least we can do, after so many have given so much for us to be here today.

It is all about respect which is sadly lacking in many these days I find.

I WILL remember them!!

And definitely do it Galen

smile

grannyactivist Sun 10-Nov-13 09:27:26

Today, at 11am I will be at a graveside 'poppy party' with my immediate family..........remembering with tears a young man (and several of his comrades) who will never grow old. sad

Iam64 Sun 10-Nov-13 09:23:52

Yes Galen, of course the 2 minute silence should be observed.

sunseeker Sun 10-Nov-13 09:10:28

Yes, Galen go for it. I always stop at the 11th hour, 11th day, 11th month, not just on Remembrance Sunday. Two minutes out of a day is nothing compared with what so many have given up. Not glorifying war just remembering those of all nations.

Today's morning service is starting early at my church so we can all be seated by 11.00

Galen Sun 10-Nov-13 08:53:55

Will do!

Gally Sun 10-Nov-13 08:24:32

'Yes" Galen do it and the words too! We can do so little for what is past. 2 minutes just remembering is nothing. I found the Silence last night from the Service of Remembrance very moving. Not so much as a cough or a sniff and when the poppies started to fall, signifying the millions of dead, that just about finished me. sad

dragonfly63 Sun 10-Nov-13 08:08:43

I was in tears during most of it - we all need to remember those that have gone before their time and those that are risking their lives now in whatever form. Don't blame the servie personnel for the stupidity of political decisions.

LizG Sun 10-Nov-13 08:02:02

The little Poppy Girl running to her daddy finished me.

Kiora Sun 10-Nov-13 07:28:11

It's the veterans of WW2 that I find the most poignant. There they are shoulders back, heads up, eyes front, marching determinedly not for themselves but for their comrades. It makes me cry every year. I think of of my son too. He finds the day difficult as he to remembers his 'mates' and their family's who bare the incredible painful loss. We will remember them but will we ever learn...

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 10-Nov-13 07:10:43

Good morning

GNHQ will be observing the silence on the boards, and - to paraphrase gracesmum - thinking of all the victims of war.

janthea Sun 10-Nov-13 06:57:30

I will be at work and it is announced over the speakers. Everyone in the office falls silent.

Ariadne Sun 10-Nov-13 06:23:57

I am up, Hanoona and I will think of you so far away.

Hannoona Sun 10-Nov-13 03:02:50

Yes.

Im off to the local Christian cemetery today for our small ceremony. There are members of the SAS buried there as a result of the DHOFAR war.

Our two minute silence will take place at 7am Uk time.

harrigran Sun 10-Nov-13 01:29:22

Absolutely, we observe it wherever we are.

Galen Sat 09-Nov-13 23:56:57

Yip! But the claimant in front of us won't have any choice!
It is a DLA appeal tribunal and I think the disability qualified member will feel the same.
In my previous job, I had to deal with war pensioners, and also sat as an ex officio member of the war pension regional committees.
I do know about war disabled persons!

ninathenana Sat 09-Nov-13 23:46:31

Very emotive words indeed. Good luck getting them out.

Annoys me to see people in shopping centres ignoring the request for them to stand still for 2 minutes silence. I think it's down right rude !