Gransnet forums

Chat

Remembrance

(59 Posts)
Galen Sat 09-Nov-13 22:54:40

Should we?
My judge asked me today, as we are sitting together on Monday. Should we observe the two minute silence?
I said yes!
In fact, I would actually like to say the the ' they shall not grow old, as we are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, or the years condemn.At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we WILL remember them'
What do you folks think.?

yogagran Sat 09-Nov-13 23:00:45

I've just been watching the Festival of Remembrance from the Albert Hall. It was such a moving, poignant ceremony. Yes, we should definitely observe the two minutes silence, it is good that we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we could be a free nation

gracesmum Sat 09-Nov-13 23:04:36

Go for it Galen I shall be driving up the M1/M6 on our way to celebrate DHSs 2nd birthday but I will be thinking of all those victims of war on both sides of each conflict.

merlotgran Sat 09-Nov-13 23:06:07

Yes, galen Without doubt.

Tegan Sat 09-Nov-13 23:07:29

I've just been watching the programme about the war horses [sob]. Will be watching my grandson parade with the Beavers tomorrow. And I'll shed a tear for all those that have lost their lives in any war, whatever their nationality.

grannyactivist Sat 09-Nov-13 23:10:17

We've just watched the Festival of Remembrance together - my (Afghan) boys were quite moved by it. I explained about the two minutes silence and they thought it was a very good idea to stop and remember. I do love my boys.........whoever would have thought that something so good could have come from such sadness. smile

merlotgran Sat 09-Nov-13 23:11:01

yogagran, I always feel drained after the Festival of Remembrance. I can usually hold it together until Sunset but that always finishes me off. I don't normally like choral singing plonked on top of a military classic but it really worked this time.

The children were lovely...the Poppy Girls and the chorister. How brave they are to sing in such awesome surroundings where the emotion is so evident.

grannyactivist Sat 09-Nov-13 23:11:22

So, to answer your question Galen - yes, do.

Galen Sat 09-Nov-13 23:23:53

Right!
Hope the judge ( who asked me , should we? To which I repliedYES. Agrees to the words. That is, if I, can get through them without tears.

When you go home, remember this,
For your tomorrows, WE GAVE OUR TODAY!

RIP

ninathenana Sat 09-Nov-13 23:46:31

Very emotive words indeed. Good luck getting them out.

Annoys me to see people in shopping centres ignoring the request for them to stand still for 2 minutes silence. I think it's down right rude !

Galen Sat 09-Nov-13 23:56:57

Yip! But the claimant in front of us won't have any choice!
It is a DLA appeal tribunal and I think the disability qualified member will feel the same.
In my previous job, I had to deal with war pensioners, and also sat as an ex officio member of the war pension regional committees.
I do know about war disabled persons!

harrigran Sun 10-Nov-13 01:29:22

Absolutely, we observe it wherever we are.

Hannoona Sun 10-Nov-13 03:02:50

Yes.

Im off to the local Christian cemetery today for our small ceremony. There are members of the SAS buried there as a result of the DHOFAR war.

Our two minute silence will take place at 7am Uk time.

Ariadne Sun 10-Nov-13 06:23:57

I am up, Hanoona and I will think of you so far away.

janthea Sun 10-Nov-13 06:57:30

I will be at work and it is announced over the speakers. Everyone in the office falls silent.

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 10-Nov-13 07:10:43

Good morning

GNHQ will be observing the silence on the boards, and - to paraphrase gracesmum - thinking of all the victims of war.

Kiora Sun 10-Nov-13 07:28:11

It's the veterans of WW2 that I find the most poignant. There they are shoulders back, heads up, eyes front, marching determinedly not for themselves but for their comrades. It makes me cry every year. I think of of my son too. He finds the day difficult as he to remembers his 'mates' and their family's who bare the incredible painful loss. We will remember them but will we ever learn...

LizG Sun 10-Nov-13 08:02:02

The little Poppy Girl running to her daddy finished me.

dragonfly63 Sun 10-Nov-13 08:08:43

I was in tears during most of it - we all need to remember those that have gone before their time and those that are risking their lives now in whatever form. Don't blame the servie personnel for the stupidity of political decisions.

Gally Sun 10-Nov-13 08:24:32

'Yes" Galen do it and the words too! We can do so little for what is past. 2 minutes just remembering is nothing. I found the Silence last night from the Service of Remembrance very moving. Not so much as a cough or a sniff and when the poppies started to fall, signifying the millions of dead, that just about finished me. sad

Galen Sun 10-Nov-13 08:53:55

Will do!

sunseeker Sun 10-Nov-13 09:10:28

Yes, Galen go for it. I always stop at the 11th hour, 11th day, 11th month, not just on Remembrance Sunday. Two minutes out of a day is nothing compared with what so many have given up. Not glorifying war just remembering those of all nations.

Today's morning service is starting early at my church so we can all be seated by 11.00

Iam64 Sun 10-Nov-13 09:23:52

Yes Galen, of course the 2 minute silence should be observed.

grannyactivist Sun 10-Nov-13 09:27:26

Today, at 11am I will be at a graveside 'poppy party' with my immediate family..........remembering with tears a young man (and several of his comrades) who will never grow old. sad

gratefulgran54 Sun 10-Nov-13 09:30:40

Like you sunseeker I have always stopped at 11am on the 11th Nov, wherever I am.

I have come across some very rude, ignorant people in the past who have not appreciated me doing this (while working in a shop for example), but I totally agree with you that it is the least we can do, after so many have given so much for us to be here today.

It is all about respect which is sadly lacking in many these days I find.

I WILL remember them!!

And definitely do it Galen

smile