Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite Christmas song?

(48 Posts)
shysal Tue 24-Dec-13 08:45:48

For the last few days I have had 'Let it Snow' going round and round in my head, but I don't particularly like it. I would choose 'Stay another day' by East 17, or Wham's 'Last Christmas' which I haven't heard at all this year. They always bring a tear to the eye.
What are your favourites?

Nelliemoser Tue 24-Dec-13 16:17:44

For songs "Santa Baby". The "Christmas Song" That is Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

With Carols it the Harold Darke version of In the Bleak Midwinter as usually done as a choir number.

Some more unusual stuff "Bethlehem Down" a very lovely tune.

I like the Slade "Merry Christmas Everybody" as well .

I cant abide "Driving home for christmas" too cheesy by half!

Agus Tue 24-Dec-13 18:29:50

'O Holy Night'. Especially a solo version

Feel happy one - I think it's called, I Don't Want a Lot for Christmas

I also remember Scarlet Ribbons from childhood. Lovely memory.

kittylester Tue 24-Dec-13 18:35:50

Listen and weep

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5611V_V_2mE

Nelliemoser Tue 24-Dec-13 20:31:51

Let's play "Post our Christmas Songs." wink

Nat King Cole The Christmas song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kQ1PCP6B0

Carol Bethlehem Down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z3Tz5AIsa0

Eartha Kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_NuAIysrTU

Sook Tue 24-Dec-13 20:55:41

kitty I listened and wept as I mentioned in my previous post my dad used to sing this to me. Yesterday was the 29th anniversary of his death and I have missed him every day since. However he lives on in both of my sons, every now and then he pops up in a glance or a mannerism.

Thank you for the link.

Grandmanorm Tue 24-Dec-13 22:54:45

Oh Holy Night, because I first heard it at the midnight service, in St. Andrew's cathedral in Singapore on Christmas Eve in 1966. I was 6 months pregnant with our second child and the tears poured down my cheeks as we were so far away from home. It still makes me cry.
Apparently it is the number one favourite carol this year, according to Songs of Praise.

Scooter58 Tue 24-Dec-13 23:28:22

Seems Scarlet Ribbons was a favourite song for Dads to sing to Daughters,my Dad also sung this to me,also remember Val Doonican singing this on his tv show. Favourite Hymn,Adeste Fideles.

Agus Wed 25-Dec-13 00:00:52

kitty. I listened and duly wept!

I then, foolishly, did a YouTube search for O Holy Night Grandmanorm and wept again!

Charleygirl Wed 25-Dec-13 10:10:37

Adeste Fideles (not sure about spelling) brings tears to my eyes. I sing along but I cannot quite reach the high notes!

Tegan Wed 25-Dec-13 10:52:37

Why are Christmas carols so beautiful? Listening to them on the telly last night there wasn't one that didn't make me want to sing along and feel all emotional.

Bellasnana Wed 25-Dec-13 11:37:27

You and me both, Tegan. We went to the carol service at the local Anglican Cathedral and I start blubbing as soon as the choir starts. My favourite of all time is 'The Angel Gabriel' which is guaranteed to start the waterworks.

Nelliemoser Wed 25-Dec-13 11:39:24

Charleygirl That's why I sing as a second Alto. I can just about get a top E on a good day with a loud tune and a following wind.

feetlebaum Wed 25-Dec-13 12:24:48

I forgot - All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth (Donald Yetter Gardner) sung by George Rock, with Spike Jones and his City Slckers.

Deedaa Wed 25-Dec-13 22:47:23

I've always loved Spike Jones feetle but I seem to have missed this one. My favourite carols are It Came Upon the Midnight Clear, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, The Angel Gabriel, and O Holy Night.
I can't stand Mariah Carey but I do love All I Want for Christmas. And Love Actually is my favourite Christmas film.

seasider Thu 26-Dec-13 23:40:09

My mum used to sing Scarlet Ribbons and it makes me cry too. I love all the carols . We have started a choir at work and though I cannot really sing I am enjoying it so much, especially the carols we have been singing. I am always touched by a group of small children singing Away in a Mangersmile

Agus Fri 27-Dec-13 01:03:50

That's the one I meant Deedaa - All I Want for Christmas.

feetlebaum I sang All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth to my GDs friend last week and was rewarded by a beautiful gapey gigglegrin

Granny23 Fri 27-Dec-13 03:18:10

DGS who lost both his upper front teeth during December has forbidden me to sing the 2 Front Teeth song because everyone at school, all relatives and the Beavers have all plagued him with it. Otherwise he is delighted with his new gappy look, has found he can, at last, whistle and suck through a straw with his teeth clenched - apparently essential skills for a nearly seven year old grin

SJP Fri 27-Dec-13 15:59:00

Favourite carol Three Kings from Persian lands afar. Lovely to listen to and to sing in a choir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dNKv48WJQ

Darke In the Bleak Mid Winter.

Sussex Carol

With you on Andy Williams - Most wonderful time of the Year" but also Judy Garland's "Have yourself a merry little Christmas"

Little Donkey and Bambino reminds me of my childhood Christmas

Modern (but not so modern) day "I wish it could be Christmas every day" Wizzard

Can't stand anything by Cliff Richard.

Agus Fri 27-Dec-13 16:21:07

Granny23. My DGD and her wee friend had never heard the song before and thought I had made it up. They both liked it though and asked me to write it out. grin.

Galen Fri 27-Dec-13 16:22:56

Shepherd's farewell?

mrsmopp Sat 28-Dec-13 00:52:41

Who can remember Dominique by the Singing Nun?
I used to love that one even though it was in French.

mrsmopp Sat 28-Dec-13 01:11:16

Dora Bryant sang
All I want for Christmas is a Beatle
Not a teddy bear, just a Beatle,
I told Mother nothing else would do
There are four so she can have one too.
I don't care whichever one she gets me,
Ringo, George, John Paul, they're all the same
I can't wait for Christmas Day to come
Cos all I want for Christmas is a Beatle.

Must have been about 1963.
She made a few bob out of it anyway.....