Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite Christmas song?

(47 Posts)
Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 15:45:11

It was a lovely moment in the film though.

Anne58 Tue 24-Dec-13 15:43:08

I'm with jingl love that one!

There was a programme on Radio 4 earlier about "have yourself a merry little Christmas" , interesting programme, covered various peoples experiences of the song etc. I have always found it rather a sad and melancholy song.

Flowerofthewest Tue 24-Dec-13 15:22:17

and This Time of Year by my favourite band Runrig.

Flowerofthewest Tue 24-Dec-13 15:21:32

Christmas in New York

Tegan Tue 24-Dec-13 14:14:29

I always play Sufjan Stevens Christmas album; Mediaevil Babes and Maddy Prior and the Christmas Band at Christmas. Oh, and sometimes The Beach Boys get an airing as well [that shouldn't work bit it does].

Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 14:13:14

tchwink

Ana Tue 24-Dec-13 14:06:17

Thanks for confessing first, Lona - I absolutely love 'All I want for Christmas'! tchgrin

Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 14:02:13

Well, I'm sorry, (ducking behind the sofa now) but I also love "All I want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey, and I have to watch 'Love Actually' every time it's on tv just so that I can hear it! tchgrin

PRINTMISS Tue 24-Dec-13 11:58:37

I too like Johnny Matthis and When a Child is Born, the Little Drummer boy is a favourite also, closely followed by In the Bleak Mid Winter, and Scarlet Ribbons however, the more I think, the more I can think of, so I am going to stop there.

Galen Tue 24-Dec-13 11:16:02

Once in royal

rockgran Tue 24-Dec-13 10:54:19

Isn't it funny how one person's favourite is another person's most hated.
I love "Have yourself a Merry little Christmas" while a friend thinks it condescending - he never watched the film though. sad

I love "Stop the Cavalry" but hate "So this is Christmas" which is another friend's favourite.
My favourite carol is "O little town of Bethlehem".

.....but it wouldn't be Christmas without the Andy Williams Christmas Album.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year...... " Cheers! wine

Grannyknot Tue 24-Dec-13 10:37:30

I also love 'Driving Home for Christmas' ... tchsmile.

My favourite Christmas Carol or hymn is In the Bleak Midwinter ... frosty wind made moan, earth stood hard as iron, harder than a stone.

And then my favourite bit, it gives me pause amidst the madness of all the consumerism: What can I give Him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb, If I were a wise man, I would do my part, yet what I can I give Him - give my heart.

Bellasnana Tue 24-Dec-13 10:33:15

Why is it always the ones you don't like which get stuck on your brain? Stop the Cavalry and the Little Drummer Boy are two that I really don't care for.

I do like my Michael Buble Christmas cd, and also Il Divo's.

kitty I had forgotten Scarlet Ribbons - it always made me cry too.

Gagagran Tue 24-Dec-13 10:25:35

Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea is a favourite of mine and I also love Jim Reeves singing Blue Christmas! tchsmile

kittylester Tue 24-Dec-13 10:13:22

I love that too Lona but all I've heard this year is Kylie's version. tchsad

Fairy Tale of New York is brilliant and I loved Michael MacIntyre's [sp] version. I think we must have had a similar thread last year as I remember posting that. confused

One I remember from my childhood is 'Scarlet Ribbons' by Harry Belafonte - always makes me cry.

And, Baby It's Cold Outside by Dean Martin, closely followed by Tom Jones and which ever female he chooses to sing with.

Lona Tue 24-Dec-13 09:51:14

Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt, I love her purring voice.

Riverwalk Tue 24-Dec-13 09:33:29

Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes.

I love my Phil Spector at Christmas cd! tchsmile

feetlebaum Tue 24-Dec-13 09:29:34

I Love New York at Christmas - Lorraine Feather

The Christmas Song - Mel Tormé

Carolling, Carolling - The Singers Unlimited

None of which will be blatted out in supermarkets, or featured in retrospective pop TV shows... I hope.

Ariadne Tue 24-Dec-13 09:27:31

I like that, jingl!

Scooter58 Tue 24-Dec-13 09:11:06

So many to choose from,my favorites are Johnny Mathis A Child is Born and MUDs it'll be Lonely This Christmas

jinglbellrocks Tue 24-Dec-13 09:03:23

The Greg Lake one. The words always get to me.

"They said there'd be snow for Christmas, they said there'd be peace on earth. But it just kept right on raining, A vale of tears for a virgin birth".

shysal Tue 24-Dec-13 08:45:48

For the last few days I have had 'Let it Snow' going round and round in my head, but I don't particularly like it. I would choose 'Stay another day' by East 17, or Wham's 'Last Christmas' which I haven't heard at all this year. They always bring a tear to the eye.
What are your favourites?