Gransnet forums

Chat

Things I have learnt over the past few months.

(75 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 18-Jan-14 17:07:10

Hopefully we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and equally hopefully it is not the headlights of an oncoming train!

With any luck, and a following wind, Mr P and I can look forward to better times, although we acknowledge that it will take a bit of time to get back on an even keel financially.

I have been thinking about things, particularly the really positive things that I can take from the recent experiences, these are a few things that come to mind:

The importance and value of a good basic store cupboard and freezer

How glad I am that I can actually cook from scratch

I am more resourceful than I thought I was! (v. proud of chicken & asparagus pasta, with 1 chicken breast and an out of date tin of asparagus spears blush grin

It is amazing how far you can stretch a pack of mince!

2 chicken thighs per person is fine

Serving meals on 9.5 inch plates rather than 11 inch ones works well wink

Cats do not notice or start a protest march if you reduce their tinned food by around a third

That a newspaper (my preferred one is £1.20 per day!) is not an essential, it is a treat.

But most importantly, how kind, generous and supportive people can be, it has made the world of difference, although it is not quite in the realm of Blanche Du Bois (I have always depended on the kindness of strangers) , I have had cause to be thankful for the kindness of internet friends.

Much love and thanks to all.

ffinnochio Sat 18-Jan-14 19:41:21

That's a lovely photo, Pheonix. Wishing you sunshine days ahead.

Ana Sat 18-Jan-14 19:42:10

And let no one say any different...grin

Charleygirl Sat 18-Jan-14 19:47:42

I am so pleased that you managed to find a photo of Jack. The pair of you look so happy there.

Without meaning to offend you, I love the photos of the cats!

There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel and money will be marginally easier once spring and summer comes. A new job for you would be the icing on the cake because I know that Mr.P starts his new job on Monday. Financially the next couple of weeks may be tough but once money comes in regularly things will start to improve, albeit slowly. There is always us lot to have a moan to about things.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Jan-14 19:48:10

You look like Snow White and Jack is your handsome prince flowers

I imagined you as a buxom blonde grin

Mishap Sat 18-Jan-14 19:51:26

Lovely photo - thanks for uploading - look forward to more, now that you have the knack!

ginny Sat 18-Jan-14 20:49:14

Onwards and upwards. flowers sunshine

Anne58 Sat 18-Jan-14 21:27:35

Oh heavens! What a wonderful lot of posts!

River I am in fits of laughter here! I did do the blonde thing once, actually went platinum, then various shades thereafter, but now that you have reminded me, the story of it might be a good starting point for another thread! (phoenix makes notes in jotter, erm, apricot, hairdresser in shock, mr p worrying about what he may have been up to, gradual recovery.........)

But as for the buxom! grin shock
Well, just lately my thighs and bottom have been making a really concerted effort to qualify for the "buxom" category, one can only admire their determination. The side effect of being eligible for the over fifties cellulite award is of course just the last thing I need reduced sugar icing on the fat free cake.

You see, it's my bosoms, or lack thereof. No matter how much weight I put on, it never seems to make a difference in the chest department. I have mentioned before my love of gel bras (Debenhams, can't remember the exact name of the band, might be Atlantis) or air bras from Primark. I seem to remember that years ago Gossard did an air bra that you could actually pump up to the required level, a friend of mine had one until an unfortunate incident one flag day.
The only advantage of my being at the back of the queue when chest allocation was being considered is that there is no droop. Zero, zilch, nada. Pencil test? I can only manage the fag paper test if I lick the gummed side and actually attach it!

Mammograms are a bit of a challenge too, might help if they would at least let me stand on a box.

Nonu Sat 18-Jan-14 22:19:10

Darling girl !

xxxxxxx

ninathenana Sat 18-Jan-14 22:34:04

phoenix rises from the ashes smile Glad things are looking up for you.

glassortwo Sat 18-Jan-14 23:10:39

phoenix 2014 is your year, love the photo x

harrigran Sat 18-Jan-14 23:50:23

phoenix smile

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-14 23:59:15

Go, Phoenix and Mr. P [olympic torch emoticon]

grannyactivist Sun 19-Jan-14 00:15:53

Ah phoenix - it's quite lovely to see you ( lovely photo) and to know that you're feeling so chipper these days. smile

POGS Sun 19-Jan-14 01:01:58

Phoenix

Pleased to see you are a little more 'chipper' than of late.

I genuinely hope 2014 will be good for you. You certainly have been trying hard to make it so!!!

I am jealous. Your photo certainly proves Devon air is good for you.

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-14 08:16:10

Lovely photo phoenix of both of you looking so happy!

Having read your posts over the last couple of years, and having heard you on the radio, I have to say that you don't look how i imagined you would! I, too, imagined you to be blonde and buxom rather than the elegant person in the photograph confused

Riverwalk Sun 19-Jan-14 08:19:39

Buxom blondes can be elegant Kitty! shock

Don't want you upsetting any BBs grin

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-14 08:50:48

Quite right River grin

Grannyknot Sun 19-Jan-14 12:40:48

phoenix your "journey so far" is altogether inspirational. You hung in and soon you'll be roasting a whole chicken smile There's nothing like that first pay cheque when you've been skint.

Years ago (early 1980s) we moved to another part of the country for my husband to start a new job, two young children in tow. We didn't have much money and costs of the move and new school uniforms etc took all our savings. We had more "month than money" and on top of that, although weekly paid, he was working "week in hand" which meant that he got paid at the end of the second week. On the day I knew he'd be bringing home his first lot of wages, I went to the local grocer (small store) and asked the Indian gentleman who ran it whether I could please buy some food and bring him a cheque later. I'll never forget when he immediately agreed, told me to take whatever I needed. So I had a slap up meal ready for when husband came home. It was only bangers and mash but felt like a feast back then. smile

I love that photo, your Jack = lovely boy.

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 15:18:11

Thanks Grannyknot , I'm cheating a bit, made a large shepherds pie for today, which we will have with broccoli and carrots, then have it re-heated tomorrow with baked beans smile

Do you all really think that 2 chicken thighs each is a bit greedy? I must admit that we do like our food! blush

Charleygirl now that I know the scanned photos seem to come out ok, I might upload some more cat ones for you!

In the meantime I have just added a picture of me and my beloved Woodstock!

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-14 15:57:24

I wondered why you didn't fade away on only 2 chicken thighs blush

I made a creamy chicken curry ala Madhur last night and hoped to have enough for 2 more meals from 12 chicken thighs. Ooops - oh well, it was nice!! grin

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 16:04:19

Sounds yummy, I have a Madhur book, wonder if it's in there?

Ana Sun 19-Jan-14 16:17:17

phoenix, I was only joking when I made my comment about cutting down on the number of thighs...wink

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 16:22:31

grin The Lidl ones are very good value and a decent size. However the amount of the damn things we have got through recently, same with pork shoulder steak, I'll gladly give them up for a while!

merlotgran Sun 19-Jan-14 16:24:06

When we moved from the Isle of Wight to Suffolk in 1971 we had two babies and no money. DH hired a van from Portsmouth to move our stuff and as soon as he'd dropped me off at a very spooky thatched cottage that went with the job he had to turn around and drive the van back leaving me alone in the pitch dark - the electricity wasn't due to be connected until the following morning. We had piled our few bits of furniture in one room and DH lit a fire so I could sleep with DD and DS on a matress as I was too scared to venture upstairs on my own.

At 6am I was woken up by someone banging on the window. Our new, elderly neighbours were standing at the door with a tray of tea and toast. They showed me how to light the Rayburn which heated the water and insisted I call on them if I needed help. DH took hours to get back as the trains were delayed and didn't arrive at the station until well after dark again. He only had five pounds left and had to get a taxi from the station as it was too far to walk. I was praying he wouldn't give the driver a tip (how mean is that?) because the change would be all we had until I could collect eight shillings family allowance on the following Tuesday as it was only paid for the first child in those days.

Later on that evening I asked DH to check how much change he had left. He stared in disbelief at the money in his hand. The taxi driver had obviously given him change from £10 not £5. shock DH had no idea which firm he had used and I have to admit the thought of tracking down the driver and returning the money was only a fleeting one. We now had enough money to feed us for a week and fill the electricity meter and I'll never forget the feeling of relief.

We didn't consider ourselves to be dishonest.....just bloody lucky!

Marelli Sun 19-Jan-14 16:30:31

phoenix, your white cat is the image of my Daisy. Can you tell me how you keep her/him matt-free? Daisy just will not allow me near her with a brush, and the matts are building up again....blush