Gransnet forums

Chat

Blocking unwanted callers - a recommendation

(14 Posts)
Brendawymms Mon 20-Jan-14 17:50:11

I have a CDR callblocker box and it's worth every penny. Don't get any annoying calls, it comes with 200 per installed and you can add extra easily.

harrigran Mon 20-Jan-14 17:46:47

nina anyone can obtain phone numbers if they know what they are doing. I get several calls a day to my mobile and I don't give my number to anyone, if I answer they call me by my name. Gas supplier has started texting me when meter reading is due and I have never given them my number as I do not pay the bills.

Soutra Mon 20-Jan-14 17:28:20

I admire your MIL's good manners and/or restraint, JessM. I on the other hand find it an invaluable way of letting off steam if I am having a particularly sh*tty day.

JessM Mon 20-Jan-14 17:09:44

This is the recent thread on those nasty scams that seem to target people who are vulnerable.
www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1203950-The-big-con

ninathenana Mon 20-Jan-14 17:03:14

Slightly of topic and not trying to poach OP

How can they ring my son's mobile and when he ignores the call then call my mobile and ask to speak to him.
How do they make the connection between us or obtain our numbers ??

Anne58 Mon 20-Jan-14 17:01:59

The video demo on the website is very good, a clear explanation of using the kit, not at all complicated.

JessM Mon 20-Jan-14 16:20:35

Suggested that we get one for MIL - she was very keen as she gets several a day sometimes apparently and since she was scammed for £400 a few years ago, they make her nervous. (and she doesn't like being rude to them, bless her grin)

Charleygirl Mon 20-Jan-14 11:52:11

phoenix I could but I cannot be bothered. It is not a problem nowadays here.

Anne58 Mon 20-Jan-14 11:40:00

Can't you add your Irish cousins numbers to your accept list, Charleygirl?

Charleygirl Mon 20-Jan-14 11:00:48

My newish BT phone handbook gave me specific instructions. Unfortunately I cannot block out the calls from overseas as I have Irish cousins who get in contact. It works well with those who withold their number.

Anne58 Mon 20-Jan-14 11:00:44

By the way you don't need a computer to use one, just pointing that out in case some worry that elderly relatives might not manage.

Anne58 Mon 20-Jan-14 10:57:20

It was mentioned a while back on a Radio 4 programme, seems to work very well.

JessM Mon 20-Jan-14 10:53:05

damn,
www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx

JessM Mon 20-Jan-14 10:52:46

In conversation on another thread about scammers who target vulnerable people.
My cousin had a problem with dad being scammed and they found this device was brilliant:
http://www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx
You can block foreign calls (scammers often use these), specific numbers or unknown callers according to your wishes. Also you can see on your computer who's been trying to call.