Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else out there who's a night owl?

(31 Posts)
Goose Sat 25-Jan-14 23:07:27

I'm tired of this not waking up 'til half past eight but quite happy being awake until 3-00am ish..I think I'm a night owl - anyone else out there ready to chat the night away?

lefthanded Sat 25-Jan-14 23:27:02

I rarely go to bed before 2 A.M., and I get up 7:15 if I am taking my grandson to school and about 9:00 if I am not.

nightowl Sat 25-Jan-14 23:29:04

Well I used to be a nightowl Goose, hence my name. I chose it because when I first joined gransnet I worked shifts and was regularly awake all night (though not from choice). However, it's a bit of a misnomer now because I gave up shift work just over a year ago and since then, although I'd like to say I've become more of a lark, the truth is I'm more like a dormouse than anything else.

I hope you find some true night owls to chat to through the night!

Goose Sat 25-Jan-14 23:29:07

Hi lefthanded. I'm wideawake (and wish I wasn't) You there?

Goose Sat 25-Jan-14 23:31:02

nightowl - mwah - come in and chat whenever you want smile

lefthanded Sat 25-Jan-14 23:31:59

Yes. I was planning on doing the washing-up, but it will keep for an hour if necessary

Goose Sat 25-Jan-14 23:33:35

I don't understand why I can get up at 7-00ish in the morning and go on quite happily until 2-00am in the morning - but I do like my 'little nap' sometime in the afternoon:-(

lefthanded Sat 25-Jan-14 23:34:56

I take my nap about 8pm for about an hour. Usually means that I sleep through Eastenders (which suits me perfectly).

Goose Sat 25-Jan-14 23:44:11

I like Eastenders…makes me feel better! I remember when I were a kid, I used to secretly laugh at my nan, cos she had her 'afternoon nap' which I thought was very funny. Now I have to have an afternoon nap myself, I can see why she had to do it. I don't even sleep, just lay on the bed and read but If I don't do it, I feel really shattered from about 7-00pm onwards :-(

Tegan Sat 25-Jan-14 23:44:35

The other night I was wide awake at 4 in the morning but when I finally got to sleep and woke up a few hoours later, I was shattered. Couldn't work that out. Since I've retired my sleep pattern seems to be 'fall asleep watching BBC4 into the early hours, then sleep till 11.30'. I was so thrilled with not having to get up at 7 each day, but I feel that I'm missing whole days now sad. And it always seems to be dark confused....

Goose Sat 25-Jan-14 23:51:07

Hi Tegansmile. I feel like some sort of a freak because I'm now wide awake…
I'm quite happy waking at 7-00am but feel really tired by the afternoon, so have to have a nap at around 2-00pm. When done I'm awake again for the rest of the day/night. I'd love to be one of these people who go to bed at 9.00ish and sleep through til 8,00am, but alas, 'taint meant to be :-( It's now 'morning to me'

Tegan Sat 25-Jan-14 23:56:48

When the kids were still at school I used to be the evening taxi service [we live in a village with very little in the way of public transport] and I used to have a nap in the afternoon so I could do late night/early morning pick ups [for some reason, the other parents were happy to drive them places but it was always me that picked them up confused]. I never really got out of the habit except when I started working longer hours the afternoon nap seemed to fall by the wayside as well. But the strange sleep pattern continued.

Galen Sun 26-Jan-14 00:29:13

I'm up late because I've been trying to compose a letter of complaint about the hospital trying to send me home when I couldn't stand!

POGS Sun 26-Jan-14 00:51:00

I tend to be up a lot because of Osteoporosis but I am very lucky because I function well on very little sleep. Good job or I would be permanently k-------d.

It drives my hubby mental when he awakes during the night and I am either on GN or watching TV.

I did see a report that said being unable to sleep makes you fat. That'll do nicely thank you I always thought it was what I ate.grin

carol123 Sun 26-Jan-14 01:18:11

my sleep pattern has never recovered from working until 2/3 am in a childrens home for 9 years as between 11 and 2 ishat night was our busiest time. Have tried everything to get to sleep earlier but no good. If I have to get up early next day then I fall asleep about 6pm for a nap and catch up that way as still need 8 or 9 hours rest. Its good to know lots of others are like this on here x

moomin Sun 26-Jan-14 02:53:23

It's the middle of the afternoon in Australia so it's a good thing I'm awake as I'm keeping an eye on my 2 GDDs! Still feeling the effects of jetlag so last night I was awake at 4 in the morning and feeling shattered today. So I'm a bit of a cheat on this thread wink

But back home I'm a bit of a lark, have to be with a dog shouting for her walk and breakfast!

Granny23 Sun 26-Jan-14 03:35:10

When I'm up in the night it is usually because my jumping legs are driving me mad and I am forced to walk about until they stop. I try to use the time constructively e.g. put on a load of washing, water the plants and so on but feel much too tired to tackle ironing and have to be quiet in case I wake DH. I would be happy on Gransnet, catching up on posts I've missed in the day time, or reading but can't sit still for long enough.

What do the rest of you do in the middle of the night?

I'm off to try bed again but may well be back up later.

Gally Sun 26-Jan-14 03:39:17

Hi Moomin. Happy Australia Day..... It's all go here on the Northern Beaches. How long are you staying? I only have another 10 days which is very sad. I really don't want to leave this time sad. I suffer from jetlag going the other way - always takes at least a week whereas arriving here I am up and going more or less straight away confused. Have a great visit and hope you catch up on the kip soon.

moomin Sun 26-Jan-14 05:56:25

Happy Australia Day to you too Gally! I'm here until early March, but not near any beaches I'm afraid - my first visit to Canberra (DD was previously in Auckland) and I brought some welcome rain with me, lovely sunshine now though sunshine

It's always difficult leaving isn't it, it doesn't get any easier I find and I have to put on a brave face at the airport.

Granny23 Sun 26-Jan-14 06:51:58

Happy Australia Day to you both wine. Any chance of sending some of your sunshine our way? It is dark as the Earl O Hell's Waistcoat here, raining and very cold, with snow forecast. Hope the worst of it is past before you come home Gally

Gally Sun 26-Jan-14 07:53:18

So do I G23, so do I ! shock

harrigran Sun 26-Jan-14 12:37:07

Enjoy your stay with DGDs moomin and enjoy the warmth, it is perishing here but no snow.

Tegan Sun 26-Jan-14 21:10:18

I watch BBC4 till 4 am. Caught up with an episode of Wild China that I missed first time round this morning. 3ft squirrels and bats the size of bumble bees. Fascinating.

POGS Sun 26-Jan-14 22:14:41

Tegan

If I had not watched it myself I might have thought your talking of 3ft squirrels and bats the size of bumble bees meant you were dreaming in your sleep. grin

Tegan Sun 26-Jan-14 22:40:35

..not to mention plants that grow 3 feet in one day shock....