Gransnet forums

Chat

..anyone else awake??

(1001 Posts)
Goose Fri 31-Jan-14 05:50:33

Can't sleep - won't sleep - anyone else awake?

morethan2 Tue 19-Sep-17 05:45:24

I hope some of you above had a better night. I'm back to my normal sleep mode
( the one I developed from the age of about 45/50) go to bed around 11.30 wake between 4-5.30. I'm just grateful to not to be awake in the small wee hours. Everything seems so much worse then. I'm sure there's a reason why men seem to sleep much better than us silver I think it's definitely age related or worry related in women because when I was younger I was most definitely a better sleeper than him. Most of our rows were about who would get up with the children on the weekends. I wonder if it related to our children's age. Once they start being truly independent and staying out late mothers worry.who knows but it's horrible that somthing I once took for granted isnow so elusive * big,big sigh* oh well time for brew

Imperfect27 Tue 19-Sep-17 05:52:18

Moretban and others, well good morning. l got. a rare 7 hours straight through so very grateful for that.
Now all l have to do is actually really wake up! smile

morethan2 Tue 19-Sep-17 06:33:16

Morning and well done Imp it's wonderful when that happens. Makes us feel so very much better. Have a good day

silverlining48 Tue 19-Sep-17 08:49:43

Glad you had a good nights sleep imp, me too, but that was courtesy of my penultimate sleeping pill. Feeling nervous about future nights. I tried ringing the surgery this morning, right on 8 am when it opens and i was caller no. 25! So hung up, will try again.
Hope your son gets his phone call today imp and hope plans and decisions are made.

morethan2 Wed 20-Sep-17 05:10:47

Oh well here I am....again. I've had a terrible night. Perhaps it's because.
I had to leave the landing light on for granddaughter.
I'm excited because I'm going on holiday to Madeira with my sister on Friday
My sister arrived today from 'up north' to await our flight.
I saw my DiL and I wasn't happy at the way she moved her neck(the cancer had spread there and although we were told she was clear following her treatment the last time I saw her move so stiffly we found out later it was because it had spread to her neck) I know I'm being paranoid and she probably slept badly but it's triggered somthing dark and black in my brain. So here I am awake and anxious.

Imperfect27 Wed 20-Sep-17 05:43:24

morethan, I am sorry you are having an anxious time too. I am trying to battle my fears this morning.

When we have been through dark times, if something resonates, it is just rotten for us.

Telling myself - and you -to try not to think the worst. You have a lovely holiday to look forward to. Try to dwell on the positives - and I will try too, smile

morethan2 Wed 20-Sep-17 05:53:08

Thanks. Your words have comforted me. Now for ☕️ school run this morning but that means a cuddle with grandaughter. Then taking my sister and DiL for a nice lunch in the countryside. Autumn my favourite month. Everything looks so colourful.

Imperfect27 Wed 20-Sep-17 06:19:46

It is a beautiful season. Enjoy those cuddles. I should see my GS on Saturday and that will be a tonic for me.

Imperfect27 Thu 21-Sep-17 01:54:37

Tch. This is becoming a habit ...

cornergran Thu 21-Sep-17 05:41:58

Awake since 4.30. Hope you are sound asleep now imperfect. I've resisted the impulse to retreat into the iPad until now but I think sleep has eluded me. Really frustrated as I need my brain today and my brain needs sleep.

Imperfect27 Thu 21-Sep-17 06:40:06

cornergran I did get back to sleep at around 2, then fitful for the rest of the night, but overall maybe 5 hours which is not dreadful. I hope you got back to sleep yourself too. As you say, our brains need the rest. I hope you manage a good day. I am sure I read somewhere recently that some stress can actually be good, so maybe in their own ways, our brains have just been busy limbering up - we can but hope! smile,

MawBroon Thu 21-Sep-17 06:48:47

Popped earlier but thought if I started posting I would never get back to sleep! Rough night Paw has a call button if he needs me in the night, but instead of using it had taken himself off to the loo and was trying to call me. I think he must have been half asleep so thank goodness he got there safely but when I finally heard him he said he was trying to get the call button lanyard round his neck and was worried he had got it on the wrong way. Tried to point out gntly that all he needs to do is press it (it would wake the dead) but then spent the next hour worrying whether he was confused/incubating a UTI
Seems OK now, but we need to be up and out early to get him to MKH for another blood transfusion.
That is ANOTHER saga-documented in Soop's Kitchen. I am too angry to reiterate here the shambles that calls itself our local health centre.
None of this conducive to a decent night's sleep!!!

Imperfect27 Thu 21-Sep-17 06:59:53

Maw sending you cyber {{{hugs}}}. Sorry it was a crappy bad night. Hope your day goes as well as it can.

I don't start to look at GN if I wake up in the night as a 'first thing' - only if an hour or so has ticked by and I am 'awake awake!'

So tired around the edges this morning.

cornergran Thu 21-Sep-17 07:02:20

oh dear, I'm sorry you have both been awake as well, imperfect and maw. I hope you are right imperfect and my brain will function, need that more than the body today, of course I know somewhere you are right, insomnia is a familiar thing and I have often managed a full day of challenging work after little sleep. Thanks for the reminder. Was just feeling sorry for myself.

Having read about your experiences I'm not surprised it's hard to sleep maw, you're working hard enough managing paws needs and don't need extra pressure piled on. Hope things go well today and paw copes with the need to get up early and the day. It seems almost an OK time now, guess what, I think I could sleep! Shame I have to be up soon.

cornergran Thu 21-Sep-17 07:05:58

Not surprised you are tired imperfect, isn't it amazing what we can cope with? I do the same as you, resist the lure of the iPad for at least an hour unless to listen to music or a book. Somehow I know when I just won't sleep, my body feels different. Hope your day is manageable.

Imperfect27 Thu 21-Sep-17 07:10:58

Thanks cornergran - yours too xx

silverlining48 Thu 21-Sep-17 09:01:25

I had my usual bad night and then up and out early to queue at the surgery fir an appt hopefully today. Found a long queue already, not expecting that. Anyway i have my appt for later this morning when i hope to replenish the sleeping pills....i know, but i am careful.
Morethan, have been thinking of you and your family. Hope you get to relax and enjoy your holiday. Imp, hope you have a good day. Everyone else, have a good day too.

cornergran Sat 23-Sep-17 04:48:58

Well, here I am again. Been awake since just before 3. No reason why other than I hurt physically and I do have spells like this. Gets tedious, though. Pleased if everyone else is asleep, that's how it should be.

Imperfect27 Sat 23-Sep-17 06:46:00

Morning cornergran, a bit later and hoping you are back in the land of nod really. Rotten when we feel a non-sleep pattern developing.
I slept like a log for about 10 hours - catching up on NO sleep the night before. Hoping my mind and body can catch up properly over the weekend after a very stressful couple of days ... start new full-time job on Monday so I need the energy!
Beautiful sunrise here, xx

cornergran Sat 23-Sep-17 07:17:52

Morning imperfect, yes, dropped off for an hour or so, woolly headed now. So pleased you slept, you've had a lot to exhaust you. Good luck for Monday, I know you'll be fine with or without sleep. Oh well, time to stir properly in a few minutes. Hope neither of us are here tonight.

Imperfect27 Sat 23-Sep-17 07:20:29

Indeedy. Surprising what we can tolerate ... xxx

MawBroon Sun 24-Sep-17 00:57:51

Right, I'm here first.who's next?

Chewbacca Sun 24-Sep-17 02:06:12

Me sad

MawBroon Sun 24-Sep-17 05:22:19

That was MEANT to be who's next!!
(Decided that if I started on GN I would never get to sleep though, ).
Somehow 5.20 feels as if I have had a decent night - 4 hours uninterrupted sleep smile

Anniebach Sun 24-Sep-17 05:33:42

Me

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion