Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that make you go "Aaaarggh"

(103 Posts)
Anne58 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:21:21

People bumping into me because they are either reading or sending text messages on their mobiles.

stayanotherday Sat 20-Feb-16 12:50:06

Products you love being discontinued.

BBbevan Tue 16-Feb-16 09:32:20

Regarding "guys" I usually look pointedly behind me if addressed as guys, especially in restaurants etc. Adding. " yes where are the men? Or "I think we came on our own" . Younger waiters etc usually look bewildered.
Silly old bat flits across their faces

MamaCaz Mon 15-Feb-16 20:14:02

Seeing people let their dog lick their face or give them a 'kiss' on the mouth. Yuck!

NotTooOld Mon 15-Feb-16 19:07:05

Shop staff who tell me they don't have any size 12s/38Bs/39s left because 'it is a popular size'. STOCK MORE, THEN!!!

News programme presenters who say 'Alex, thank you' or 'Lindsay, thank you' instead of 'thank you, Alex' or 'thank you, Lindsay'. Even the roving reporters do it - 'Jon, as you can see...........', Krish, bombs have been raining down here all day...........' Why do they do that? I can't think of a single good reason. Channel 4 News has a lot to answer for.

And don't get me started on apostrophes.

TwiceAsNice Mon 15-Feb-16 07:06:57

Drivers who pull out in front of you and then take the next left turn without signalling and those who don't say thank you when you let them in in the traffic!
People who don't say thank you when you open the door for them
Restaurant staff who keep asking you if your meal is ok, if it wasn't I'd tell them
People who always think their opinion is right
Staff in shops who say they don't stock something because there's "no call for it", there is I just asked for it!
Marks and Spencer's website!

GreatauntieLinda Sun 14-Feb-16 22:59:22

Should add that didn't make me go aaaaaggh. I just think you should all pax vobiscum

GreatauntieLinda Sun 14-Feb-16 22:57:41

As my dear departed husband used to say "pax vobiscum"

Lavande Sun 14-Feb-16 14:31:39

A woman on a Ryanair flight (before you could book a specific seat) was asked politely by an air steward if she would mind exchanging her aisle seat with a passenger who clearly had a physical disability. She refused.

I don't want to be banned from this site so won't say what what dark thoughts I harboured all the way to Stansted.

BBbevan Sun 14-Feb-16 02:43:01

Read something the other day about a woman who's husband wore a badge which said"I am silently correcting your grammar" Where can you get them?

stayanotherday Sat 13-Feb-16 17:39:16

People who won't move their bags on a busy train for others to sit down. Shop assistants who chat about "who's going to break etc." when in the middle of serving customers. I worked in shops and customers always got priority as that's why you're there. People who walk into you when you're carrying heavy bags. I just knock them into their legs and grin at them.

grannylyn65 Fri 12-Feb-16 18:23:06

Repeating oneself countless times to different agents when trying to complain / ask a question. And the language barrier !

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Feb-16 15:18:56

"Gardeners" who show interest then CBA to turn up when you are offering work.

norton Thu 11-Feb-16 15:58:06

Being called guys - try calling a group of men, girls see what the reaction is. Not positive, so why are women airbrushed out of conversation by not even being addressed correctly, being called guys = ignored. I have been in meetings of all women with a male speaker who addressed the room full of women as guys! We have to make a stand to raise our importance/presence. Please just say good afternoon, good morning, you need not make the address gender based. If imperative, just say people. I resent being missed out. Even women call us guys, which I find even more ludicrous, do they not think about the words coming out of their mouths. Prevent men making themselves more important than women.

Dragonfly1 Sat 22-Feb-14 23:52:02

Twonks in cars who sit outside my house with their engines running and music blaring at this time of night - like the taxi driver who's just disturbed my little GS.

Anne58 Sat 22-Feb-14 23:28:38

The way that in American TV programmes refer to a "labratory" when it is laboratory.

And what about "aluminium", even when that was covered in a recent advertisement for hire cars and the different pronunciation was mentioned, the "correction" still mentioned the wrong letter aaaaaarrrgh [cross]

21again Sat 22-Feb-14 16:16:32

this particular women really annoyed me the other day and she is married but she moaned about her husband in front of me and some others including a women who's husband died on Christmas Day.

inishowen Sat 22-Feb-14 14:40:56

Shop assistants who carry out the whole transaction without making eye contact or saying a word. Worse still, they are having a conversation with their colleague while dealing with you. I also hate being called "dear" or "love". My husband hates the Australian accent that many people have adopted, and what he calls "stomach talking", which is a strange tone young people use!

Joelise Sat 22-Feb-14 14:16:29

Starting every sentence with " so " , particularly prevalent on Radio 4 !

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-14 14:08:52

And not much use if you are stuck with a wheelchair or a buggy and a couple of young children, waiting for some great big fit single macho male to return from buying his Sun and six-pack of lager to the car thirty steps from the shops.

Bollards along the edge of pavement would keep them off it. Oh, sorry, they might damage the car door opening it against a bollard, or drive into one as they roar home on a Friday night. That would never do. Better to have small children and the disabled walking in the traffic.

Aka Sat 22-Feb-14 13:57:47

Re parking on pavements, causing an obstruction..just emailed my local District Council regarding the laws or bye laws on this.

You'll be pleased to hear I can expect a reply within 56 working days.

YIPPEE I'll look forward to that ...if I can remember what it was all about when the reply eventually comes hmm

oznan Sat 22-Feb-14 13:36:22

Many of the things already mentioned but my absolute "grrr!" is when people say "different to",when it should be "different from." I think this is because our English teacher drummed it into us!

Judthepud2 Sat 22-Feb-14 11:47:03

Oh yes and DOG POO especially on public footpaths and trod through my house.

Judthepud2 Sat 22-Feb-14 11:45:18

Oooooh lovely thread. I agree with most things above.

Especially:
Lateness
Apostrophes incorrectly used (my fetish)
Drivers cutting in at last minute
Drivers tailgating (I am not a slow driver and often have DGCs in car!)
People texting continuously at social gatherings
People who make no attempt to stop their children/grandchildren creating mayhem in public
Cold calling
Inconsiderate parking
Bigotry

That is just the tip of the iceberg!

Incidentally, regarding the 'haitch' or 'aitch' debate - here how it is pronounced is taken as an identity marker. 'Haitch' for perceived Nationalist community and 'aitch' for perceived Unionist community! Due to segregated education sad Absurd!

Only in Northern Ireland!!

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Feb-14 11:34:01

I do however quite like the Hi Guys, in restaurants. It comes over as upbeat and friendly. The one that makes me bristle is Dear.

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-14 11:33:16

Maggiemay People are soft and vulnerable. Cars are made of metal. It is just bullying!