Gransnet forums

Chat

Presents for special birthdays

(62 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Mar-14 11:45:58

I have been asked three times already this week (and it's only Tuesday!) for ideas for 50th birthday presents.

Now clearly it depends on who it's for, how much you want to spend, and in some cases where the recipient lives. But - this notwithstanding - we thought it would actually be rather useful to have some great ideas for gifts special/landmark birthdays so next time someone asks we can point them in this direction.

Love to hear your thoughts - for 50th, 60th, 70th (or any other). If it's more suited to one specific age do just add that in the post.

In the meantime...just realised I too have to buy a 50th birthday present this week blush So help very gratefully received!

Gally Fri 07-Mar-14 07:33:07

From me too - always behind like a donkey's tail blush flowers

Ariadne Fri 07-Mar-14 06:34:55

Even more belated happy birthday from me!

seasider Fri 07-Mar-14 00:02:57

Thanks everybody. I had a lovely day with family. smile

Penstemmon Thu 06-Mar-14 16:32:36

Happy Belated birthday cari & seasider I was too busy celebrating to get onto GN! Hope you both had lovely celebrations!

Went to the National Theatre to see Taste of Honey and then for a scrumptious Lebanese meal with friends in Wandsworth! Great day!

annodomini Wed 05-Mar-14 19:15:02

22 years ago, for my DS1's 21's birthday, I bought him a day out at Oulton Park race track, driving a rally car and a racing car - not Formula 1, though. It was quite a thrill for him and I enjoyed watching him.

Humbertbear Wed 05-Mar-14 18:29:22

My husband plays the piano and for his 50th I bought an experience from a well known company and he played the organ in Gloucester Cathedral. He has also had a Falconry Day. Some websites sell vouchers that allow the recipient to choose. I bought my son one where the choice was a makeover for 2, indoor rock climbing or dinner at a Conran restaurant. No prizes for guessing what he and his wife did. I was bought a spa day in a stressful year and it was wonderful.

annodomini Wed 05-Mar-14 17:05:39

Happy birthday to all who have one today. sunshine

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Mar-14 16:17:45

gillybob I may have lost count on purpose so we might have to start again grin

rockgran Wed 05-Mar-14 16:12:27

When I turned 60 my son and his wife paid for a day at a spa for me and my best friend. They realised I would not want to go alone. We had a super day and I thought this was very thoughtful and special.

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 16:08:12

What a lovely present Cari I do hope you are keeping a tally of cuddles and kisses taken. That way, when you are feeling a little sad, you can cash them in ! smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Mar-14 14:34:44

Happy birthday seasider

Gosh there are lots of us today! Must be a VERY special day indeed grin

gillybob my best present cost not a penny and came (a little too early) this morning from my 5yo. One hundred kisses and one hundred cuddles. Not easy to wrap but pretty unbeatable.

storynanny Wed 05-Mar-14 13:55:21

Re the cost, we go to London once or twice a year to see a show (cheap seats) and stay with my eldest son, so adding on a cheapish hotel and afternoon tea isnt really lots of extra. Just means I get to share in the "present" as well!

whenim64 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:38:36

Seasider flowers
Pentstemmon flowers
Cari flowers

Happy birthday to you all. Have a fabulous day wine

seasider Wed 05-Mar-14 13:24:12

To Pentstemmon & Cari . Happy Birthday ! my birthday today too though not a special one.

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 13:13:25

No Riverwalk sadly not. I am 52 . We are just not in the position to buy lavish trips/gifts for each others birthday. I have always hated being the centre of attention so never had a birthday party when I was a child either.

Riverwalk Wed 05-Mar-14 12:52:16

Gilly is your birthday 29 February - is that why you've never had a big birthday?

I can't do the maths but it does mean that you're forever young! grin

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 12:38:11

Well for my 60th I am seriously considering a trip to The Moon. First class of course.

This thread is starting to read like, My dad is sooooooo much bigger than your dad ! grin

Pittcity Wed 05-Mar-14 12:33:36

We've got my MIL's 90th this weekend. As she has Alzheimers we have bought her daughter (who has a birthday the same week and cares for her) a Spa Day. MIL will be happy with flowers, biscuits, chocs etc. We are having a tea party with all the family and a bouncy castle at their house!

As for 50ths my OH trekked to Everest Base Camp for his and we cruised into Venice on mine. That way the family didn't have to worry about how to spoil us.

Anne58 Wed 05-Mar-14 11:14:50

Ariadne we had similar problems with my step father. In the end it was donation to charity of his choice, then, as you sat nice little odds and ends. These always seemed to end up being edible ones smile

Gentleman's relish in one of the nice ceramic pots, boxes of dates (no-one else in the family liked them) special coffee etc.

Ariadne Wed 05-Mar-14 10:58:01

Theseus put his foot down just before Christmas, saying he had all the "stuff" he needed, and asking (but not demanding) that we gave a gift from the WaterAid shop. They will send a card on a specified date. So we did, but I still had to buy him some little things...He was delighted with the watery gifts, though.

He is 70 in May. Still pondering, though his passion is WaterAid and providing clean water - our wotk in Burkina and SA involved that - so I suppose we will do that again. With some nice little odds and ends, wrapped up.

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 10:37:24

Bloomin' heck some of these "special presents" must have cost a small fortune. Only saying that's all.

TwiceAsNice Wed 05-Mar-14 10:17:59

I have given bottles of champagne with the special date and a personal message etched onto the bottle for the person to drink and then keep. You can get bottles of port and whiskey too if wine is not liked.

My daughter had a meat experience day where you are taught how to professionally butcher the meat and then you cook a meal with the meat you have chosen ( pork,beef, poultry, etc) and then eat it with the others in the class then you have a joint of your chosen meat to take home with you.

Story nanny we went to the Savoy in London for a champagne afternoon tea for my daughters graduation. We sat on comfortable sofas were waited on hand and foot with as much tea sandwiches, scones, and cakes that you could eat ( champagne was one glass unless you paid extra) There was a pianist playing the hotel was beautiful and it was one of the loveliest experiences I have ever had so I can thoroughly recommend it to you. Hope you enjoy whatever you do.

gillybob Wed 05-Mar-14 10:12:14

I have never had a special birthday sad

ninathenana Tue 04-Mar-14 22:42:19

I took DH for a surprize weekend away for his 50th. He had no idea it was happening until I told him to get in the car.
His 60th was Sunday lunch on a steam train. I have given friends theatre vouchers in the past. I would welcome these myself.

annodomini Tue 04-Mar-14 18:40:32

For my 80th birthday (if it happens), I hope to be given a flying lesson. I've already had a balloon flight.