Gransnet forums

Chat

How Can This Be Justified

(97 Posts)
TAB12 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:18:08

When we have children in terrible poverty in this country. This money could have gone on Hospitals, Education and child poverty.

I do love Prince William but this is un acceptable.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-william-kate-middleton-hit-3247656

Nonu Thu 20-Mar-14 17:07:03

Don"t forget though , they will also have the place in Norfolk !
grin

annodomini Thu 20-Mar-14 17:37:36

They probably have a gym too somewhere.

Lilygran Thu 20-Mar-14 18:46:23

I hope all the people who have very negative things to say about any expenditure on Royal (ie State) Palaces will prepare themselves for the major restoration now needed of the Palace of Westminster (ie the Houses of Parliament).

Ana Thu 20-Mar-14 18:50:44

And look at the amount spent on refurbishing the Speaker's quarters! shock

J52 Thu 20-Mar-14 21:04:04

just back from The Tower! Bring back Guy Fawkes, Lilygran! grin x

gillybob Thu 20-Mar-14 23:35:38

Yes I guess that all "hard working" young people like Kate and William need to have a gym, a cinema, a boot room etc. confused

Eloethan Sat 22-Mar-14 00:19:59

Lilygran The Houses of Parliament are not occupied by one family in perpetuity and, though I think our political system is far from perfect, at least politicians are elected.

Rosannie Sat 22-Mar-14 01:43:24

Does anyone know details of Kate and William's home in Angelesey?

Lilygran Sat 22-Mar-14 09:29:35

The Palace if Westminster is a State Palace just like most of those used by the Royal Family and for State purposes. The Speaker's quarters have been mentioned by Ana and then there are Number 10, Number 11, all the other residences of various ministers and the country homes, not even open to the public....to say nothing of second homes. Not sure what the objections are. Is it that a young couple shouldn't have a luxurious home? Or is it that other people are poor and the royals aren't? Or is it that public funds are being used to refurbish public buildings?

merlotgran Sat 22-Mar-14 09:43:13

They don't live in Anglesey any more, Rosannie as William has left the RAF. They do have a home on the Sandringham estate though.

Eloethan Sun 23-Mar-14 01:20:57

Lilygran The residences you mention, such as Nos. 10 and 1, are occupied temporarily, which is conditional upon the occupier's continuing official political status - and not in perpetuity because of the family they were born or married into.

Tours of the Houses of Parliament are free to UK residents when booked through their local MP. There is a charge to enter Buckingham Palace, Windsor, etc., and there are other residences which are strictly off-limits to the public.

Lilygran Sun 23-Mar-14 07:56:56

Buckingham Palace and the others are only occupied temporarily as well, aren't they? No open house, free or not, at Chequers.

Eloethan Sun 23-Mar-14 16:46:13

Royal residences are occupied temporarily by choice - because there are so many other royal residences to choose from.

Chequers is a country residence of serving Prime Ministers. I do wonder why Prime Ministers should have such a privilege but their access to Chequers is, like Nos 10 and 11, only temporary.

Lilygran Mon 24-Mar-14 07:30:27

They are occupied temporarily because the sovereign dies. They aren't a home or an inheritance. They can't be sold except by us. I still don't understand what the problem is.

gillybob Mon 24-Mar-14 09:04:27

I really don't think there is a problem just as long as they understand how hugely privileged they are and that they are not "like any other young couple bringing up a baby" because they are not . They do not "understand young people" and they do not "work" .

As far as I am concerned, as long as they keep these things clear then they can continue to live their over privileged lives with their 20 bed roomed houses and apartments, Spanish nannies etc. in cuckoo land (because that is just about how close to reality they are).

Penstemmon Mon 24-Mar-14 10:38:29

I agree totally gillybob I get irritated when people try to suggest that the young royals are just like the majority of young couples!

Charles and Camilla don't get emergency early morning phone calls when George is unwell to look after him so Kate can get to work by 7:45!

Kate and William are not struggling to juggle budgets/jobs/childcare.

They are a very privileged pair!

gillybob Mon 24-Mar-14 13:24:30

Exactly Penstemmon

Mind you I wouldn't swap my relationship with my grandchildren for any of their priviledges. smile

merlotgran Mon 24-Mar-14 13:51:55

This is more like it!

Zara has the right attitude.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Mar-14 15:24:55

I think they are probably exactly like any other young couple bringing up their first child.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Mar-14 15:29:35

There are some lovely pictures there, and very sweet kids. smile

Zara looks a very strong mother. I bet that baby weighs nothing to her.

Lilygran Mon 24-Mar-14 15:32:48

And it is very unlikely that Zara or her baby will ever be head of state. She doesn't lead a life like the majority of young people, either! I don't expect Princess Anne drops everything to rush round in a crisis. For one thing, she might be off somewhere on royal duties. Yes, they are privileged and this is partly balanced by their lives, little real choice, onerous duties and constant scrutiny. What is the problem? They aren't like us and they should be? They should lead lives like everyone else? Which everyone else? Lots of people who can afford it have nannies. No-one should have any privileges?