Gransnet forums

Chat

Free Speech

(103 Posts)
NanKate Fri 21-Mar-14 15:56:16

What has happened to Free Speech ?

I was reading in the paper yesterday about someone who disagreed with breast feeding in public, but was scared of saying anything in case the PC Brigade came down on him like a ton of bricks.

I disagree with this view, but I think he should be able to state it.

Are there any topics you feel you can't talk about openly, because your view may not be the popular one ?

Penstemmon Sun 23-Mar-14 19:56:34

Marzipan smile
Rich fruit cakesmile
Lemony royal icingsmile
plus
Crumbly Hawes Wensleydale cheese smilesmilesmile

No nap here today as 4xdgc plus 2xdd here for lunch. Both their DHs working today.

Enjoying a glass of wine now though!

thatbags Sun 23-Mar-14 17:34:38

I had an after lunch nap, mainly because I had the hedge-cutter out this morning. Well, my hands and arms were achey anyhoo so I thought what the heck. MrB came and helped with the clearing up. Then I had a massive bowl of pea'n'ham soup and crashed. Hands less achey now, not more. So that's good smile

rosesarered Sun 23-Mar-14 17:28:59

This should all be on the food thread! [I like marzipan too.]
I thought we were all going to be grown up about 'being offended' by the way, but it didn't last for long huh?

petallus Sun 23-Mar-14 17:26:32

Agree * Hollydaze* that from time to time people say they feel they are being bullied.

I was just talking about myself when I said 'can't be bothered' smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Mar-14 17:11:14

Btw, I love marzipan. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Mar-14 17:09:46

This thread has definitely taken a turn for the better. smile

Btw, has no-one done any cooking, or after-lunch napping today? confused

#roastlambfruitcrumblericepudandchocolatecake

HollyDaze Sun 23-Mar-14 16:15:17

petallus

Also, it's not really a question of being scared to post against the majority view, more a case of 'can't be bothered'.

I've seen posts on other forums where people have stated they are too intimidated to join in discussions for fear of being attacked if they say the wrong thing. I would argue it is those who cannot keep their tempers that are unable to say the right thing. Someone has already said it's a form of bullying and I suppose it is really.

NanKate Sun 23-Mar-14 15:33:10

Joke (well I think it is funny)

Q. What's the quickest way to put your OH off sex ?
A. Wedding cake.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the marzipan ?

Lona Sun 23-Mar-14 14:27:12

petallus I thought I was rather restrained wink usually can't get it down fast enough!

petallus Sun 23-Mar-14 14:20:52

n

petallus Sun 23-Mar-14 14:20:24

I have Ritter Sport marzipa regularly Lona.

I usually share a block with a friend. If it was just me I would not be able to hold back. I'd have to eat it all in one go.

annodomini Sun 23-Mar-14 13:42:34

My Mum used to make marzipan 'potatoes'. Round balls of marzipan rolled in cocoa. I daren't make them because I would eat the lot. blush

rosequartz Sun 23-Mar-14 13:19:55

Yes, elegran, I like 'proper' icing. I may let you have half, though, on account on my waistline. (Hoping it may re-appear one day)

Lona Sun 23-Mar-14 13:17:35

On Saturday I bought one of those blocks of Ritter Sport marzipan chocolate, which I ate over two evenings blush
So yummy! I'm happy to eat anyone's unwanted marzipan with icing or chocolate, or just plain bare!

ffinnochio Sun 23-Mar-14 13:12:01

For me, it's the combination of a rich fruit cake, with homemade marzipan and lemony icing all in the mouth together. Wonderful blast of flavours!

Elegran Sun 23-Mar-14 13:02:25

rosequartz I don't like the roll-out icing either. Not sure what is in it, but it is not icing sugar. I like my icing made of icing sugar and lemon juice - yummy.

rosequartz Sun 23-Mar-14 11:56:17

There is a block in the cupboard, left over from Christmas. hmm
But it' s not home-made so perhaps not. (I have made it myself sometimes and it is nicer)

thatbags Sun 23-Mar-14 11:47:40

The xmas cake has to be dead rich as well, or why bother.

thatbags Sun 23-Mar-14 11:47:00

My dad loved marzipan. Battenburg cake was Daddy Cake in our house. I like it on christmas cake with royal icing, especially if homemade by me using our own hens' eggs, but I don't usually like bought marzipan. Too sweet and often too soft, not teeth sinky stuff like mine. They probably aren't allowed to use raw eggs nowadays either. I do.

DebnCreme Sun 23-Mar-14 11:34:39

I sat on my hands, walked around the house and even switched off the iPad to try and stop myself from saying this. On logging back on what do I find? You have all got there first. I love Marzipan and can eat it by the block blush.

seriously Elegran I agree with your point.

Less seriously but well meant, I like you rosequartz smile

rosequartz Sun 23-Mar-14 11:34:01

Elegran, you are welcome to the icing, particularly if it is the roll-out type.

Talking of marzipan reminds me of DH's DGM who was very partial to marzipan sweets which we used to have to hunt out for her. No chocolate on them, just sort of marzipan fancies.

Aka Sun 23-Mar-14 11:27:11

Thanks Nonnie that's what I was saying. Glad that someone got the point.

petallus Sun 23-Mar-14 11:27:06

Marzipan is adorable.

Or should I say, I adore marzipan?

Anyway, I do!

Nelliemoser Sun 23-Mar-14 11:26:07

Elegran A deal! I will send you my icing. grin

Elegran Sun 23-Mar-14 11:22:15

Nellie not kitty! She would not be at all grateful!