Gransnet forums

Chat

Maths problem - help!

(32 Posts)
Mishap Wed 14-May-14 10:07:46

My DD is constructing a mandala which needs to have 120 individual (equal-sized) circles within a 3 metre diameter circle. I have found on the net an illustration of an arrangement of the circles that fits, but it does not say what size these small circles need to be.

Any maths wizards out there!!??

Sorry to tax your brains on this lovely sunny day.

annodomini Wed 14-May-14 19:48:38

It's not really all that hard, Mice, unless I have my reasoning completely wrong!

MiceElf Wed 14-May-14 19:52:47

I'm not saying it's hard. I'm asking how many adults in the general population could solve it. Quickly.

Mamie Wed 14-May-14 19:53:00

For KS2 tomorrow is the last day, Anno.

MiceElf Wed 14-May-14 19:58:59

You surely remember Chris Woidhead being unable to multiply a half by a third.

apricot Wed 14-May-14 20:23:22

Ye gods I can't do any of these.
I'm just booking hotels and travel for a short jaunt with a friend and every single time I add up and divide by 2, I get a different answer. Numbers are EVIL.

Rowantree Thu 15-May-14 11:59:43

I didn't. But then I've never been able to 'do' Maths. I have the mathematical equivalent of dyslexia. DD2 has it too. It's been a struggle to understand anything mathematical! I don't think I'd get far with any KS2 paper blush
and I've always felt totally stupid because of my lack of understanding. My brothers teased me constantly about it and I was the butt of all the 'dimwit' jokes in the family.
I vowed I'd never do the same to my children, but I did help DD2 as much as possible and she gets by....as do I!