Gransnet forums

Chat

W.I.

(50 Posts)
supermum48 Tue 19-Aug-14 22:19:47

Is anybody a member of W.I.? Wondering whether to join but don't make my own jam! Also what is the difference between Townswomen's Guild and Women's Institute and is there a wide age range? Sorry to ask so many questions but they both sound similar from the descriptions.

rosesarered Thu 21-Aug-14 14:08:28

Nonu I used to be ejected from class at school for giggling, I do think laughter is good for us[even if it causes laughter lines.] grin
I have sat through some awful boring meetings at W.I. thinking to myself 'life is too short for this!' I think that it often takes time to build up other people's awareness that you are there as well, you need to be welcomed as a stranger the minute you walk in, and although most W.I's make a big point of saying how welcome guests will be, the reality often doesn't match up.A bit like churches! The words 'must try harder' come to mind. I have heard that town groups are often friendlier and livelier than villages.
Janerowena I think I have shared a few quizzes with the same lady at W.I. as you! The main difference is [you say 'don't eat before you go'] the
W.I's I have attended never offered more than a very measly biscuit. So, lucky old you.

Gagagran Thu 21-Aug-14 14:40:33

I think it's really sad that you have had such negative experience of a WI rosesarered and it certainly wouldn't have been like that at my WI. I agree absolutely with you that you need to be welcomed as a stranger the minute you walk in and that's what we do. We also like to laugh and have fun and just enjoy our many and varied activities. Please don't judge us all by the miserable lot you encountered - I have met far more fun-lovers in the WI than old miseries!

Similarly, I am surprised that you have never had more than a biscuit as every WI event I have been to has been the exact opposite with a great spread - especially cakes.

As I suggested above, it might be worth trying different institutes to find one more to your liking. smile

Nonu Thu 21-Aug-14 14:53:52

ROSES,
Your first paragraph,

GIGGLE, GIGGLE.

rosesarered Thu 21-Aug-14 15:43:04

Nonu leave the building right away for indiscriminate giggling.grinWe need a giggle icon.As a child I also used to go into heaving silent mirth mode on a bus journey, if I happened to think of something funny.This was ok if I happened to be with somebody but no doubt looked a bit crazy on the times it happened that I was alone.
Gagagran of course other W.I's can be different, and there have been 2 different ones I can think of that were alright[not great, but alright] and there will be some very good ones [like yours.]However, in all the different ones, there has never been anything other than one small biscuit provided with tea/coffee, so I must have been unlucky.

rosesarered Thu 21-Aug-14 15:45:09

Not that I joined to just get my hands on lots of cake[oh I don't know though....] cupcake

janerowena Thu 21-Aug-14 17:28:39

I almost, but only almost, think that our WI would be worth joining just for the cake. But oh my goodness do they enjoy reading out all the notices and minutes and stuff... That alone can take well over half an hour.

I think I shall go during the winter months. I need cake then anyway. The first time I went there were at least a dozen plates being passed around, they had made a plate each because they were so pleased to have so many potential new members. So you can understand my guilt feelings. You couldn't find a friendlier bunch anywhere, but I too suffer from subversive giggling during pompous moments.

suebailey1 Thu 21-Aug-14 17:30:08

gagagran where are you?

suebailey1 Thu 21-Aug-14 17:32:31

The WI I was in had 'elected' that is their gruesome President had decreed only biscuits with tea after meetings no cake as it got too much for some people! Bloody family Circle- where were the double chocolate hobnobs hiding. I bought M & S Belgian when it was my turn - very frowned on!!

janerowena Thu 21-Aug-14 17:41:15

Good heavens! We have smoked salmon sandwiches as a sort of apology sometimes from people who haven't had time to bake! There is a vegan lady, she made nettle soup and some kind of rice ball when it was her turn. As we do it in pairs now it was nicely balanced with meringues and prawn vol-au-vents supplied by her partner!

Charleygirl Thu 21-Aug-14 18:00:39

Oh my goodness, my TWG do not serve coffee. I was considered a real outsider and freak because I do not drink tea and it was suggested that I bring my own refreshment! I could not be bothered. We pay an entrance fee and those who want the weak tea and miserly biscuit pay 50p towards that also.

janerowena Thu 21-Aug-14 18:13:38

That's why we do it in pairs, one boils the kettle and so on and the other goes around asking for numbers for tea and coffee. I'm dreading that part as I'm sure I will add some in twice, they don't keep still. A bit like shepherding.

NanKate Thu 21-Aug-14 18:22:18

Don't give up on the WI Ana I have so many laughs with my friends from there and we are anything but stuffy.

Admittedly there are some silly old fa*** there but on the whole they are great.

I am organising a Book Sale in September and as our President will be away she gave me some money to buy her some books. In jest I said 'Do you fancy '50 Shades of Grey' ? She replied no thanks I have read all 3 and thoroughly enjoyed them. Bondage isn't obligatory in the WI, but having fun is. grin

supermum48 Thu 21-Aug-14 19:00:26

Wow! I didn't expect such a great response. Thank you everybody. There seems to be very mixed feelings about W.I. I will try our local branch and hope it's a lively group. I don't do stuffy!

Gagagran Thu 21-Aug-14 19:43:54

Sorry suebailey I am on the SE Hampshire coast so a bit far for you as I see that you are in the Midlands! However, my previous WI was in south Bedfordshire and that was every bit as lively and fun as this one.

Like Nankate I have made so many friends through WI after moving to new locations where I knew not a soul, TWICE! Please try different ones - you can google the ones in your location - and I feel sure you will find one you like. Just ignore the stuffed shirts blouses. You can find them in any organisation if you look!smile

Nanabelle Fri 22-Aug-14 00:04:47

I once tried WI when in my late twenties - for a night out away from our young children. I was the youngest by miles, so didn't go again - did a keep fit class instead! For the last 10 years since I took early retirement I have belonged to one of our local Townswomen's Guild (we actually had 3 in our large village, though the two afternoon ones have now closed and just our evening one left) I think each Guild/WI is slightly different, depending on the people there. Ours is a fun guild, with outings and lots of laughter. We did away with reading out minutes etc and email a newsletter around, with hard copies for those (not many) who don't do email. We have tea AND coffee! and biscuits! We have a very informal committee held at members' houses (we do get cake at committee meetings!)
I would try whatever is nearest to you and see how you like it.
There are websites for both WI and Townswomen's Guilds and some Facebook pages too.
Enjoy whichever you choose.

Mishap Fri 22-Aug-14 06:17:31

The decision of our village WI to break away from the the national organisation and just meet under another name was precisely because of all the admin bumf - and the cost. We get together monthly and have interesting speakers. Newcomers are always welcomed - and the food is copious - a proper spread of sandwiches and cake, so I don't eat before I go! Men are allowed in if they are interested in one of the speakers!

janerowena Fri 22-Aug-14 10:10:26

Yes, men are allowed on our trips and to our talks, but I have yet to see one brave enough. I missed this month's lecture on climbing Kilimanjaro for example, I would have thought a few men would have enjoyed that.

SueD Fri 22-Aug-14 21:21:02

Our WI in Somerset has ages ranging from thirties through to late 80s. They are a lively bunch and we have a good laugh. Lots of outings and lunch or a cream tea about three times a year. Really enjoyable Christmas service in the beautiful Wells cathedral every year and really looking forward to hearing Michael Portillo speak at the county AGM.
We have an additional craft group that meets during the winter and really you can pick or choose how much or how little you get involved. Jam making is definitely not compulsory but a sense of humour is!

SueD Fri 22-Aug-14 21:23:38

Forgot to say that minutes are e mailed except to the few people who aren't on the internet.

NanKate Fri 22-Aug-14 21:51:48

Sue we had Michael Portillo speak at our County Conference last year and he was brilliant, so natural and relaxed. You have a treat in store.

janerowena Sat 23-Aug-14 23:52:36

Good heavens - he spoke at ours in Bury St.Edmunds this year, too! He impressed my friend who went because he waited in line to queue for his cup of tea, just like everyone else. They loved him, but weren't so keen on his lilac jacket... grin

Penstemmon Sun 24-Aug-14 22:38:13

I am currently president of a WI which I helped to start up two years ago. When I was setting the group up I went to visit other local groups. Some would have put me off for life if I had not already been a member of a WI where I used to live..it was a very lively WI!
We are a bit maverick compared to some of the more established groups locally and meetigs are 'loosely' run. Our age group is 27-84. Our communications secretary had a baby at Easter and the minutes secretary is about to have a baby!

I am not standing for president this year as I think 2 yrs is enough! Some WIs have quite longstanding presidents and that can sometimes not encourage new blood/thinking!

One of our most popular 'Extra' groups is our monthly Breakfast club..about 15-18 of the WI members meet for breakfast at nearby hotels/cafes/pubs. I sometimes take my 2 yr old DGS along.
We also have a book group, dining club, exercise /health group, walking club. With the exception of the health club pubs seem to make the best venues! we have had taster sessions of Bollywood dancing, Tai Chi and Nordic walking & Petanque! We've had speakers on bee keeping, how to plant an all year planter, a lady who cycled round the world (aged 60), a chap form the antique roadshow, local history, a colour/fashion person and on Tuesday we will have a First Aid talk..so quite a variety. all with 'refreshments' tea/coffee/wine and 'nibbles' lots of laughs and i have made several new friends as a result!smile

supermum48 Mon 25-Aug-14 14:42:01

That sounds perfect, Penstemmon - exactly the sort of group I want to join. You don't live in North Hampshire do you?

Penstemmon Mon 25-Aug-14 17:33:58

Surrey!