Gransnet forums

Chat

Knickers

(63 Posts)
Nonu Wed 27-Aug-14 11:01:34

I was in M/S yesterday buying some new knickers[always get them from there, best quality] and at the racks of knickers were a couple about my age. The bloke was holding up different pairs and saying:- "These are pretty dear". FAIR ENOUGH

I made my purchases and moved down to PER UNA to see if there were any bargains to be had on the sale rails. blow me down the same couple turned up there, and going through the same process!!

Now, not a lot irritates me frankly, but men in lingerie and dress departments just gets on my pip. Mr N would NEVER dream of that and to be frank I wouldn't want him there anyway, I am quite capable of selecting my own underwear and outer clothing.

I just find it a bit odd really, probably just me.

Anyway, Wey Hey !

janeainsworth Wed 27-Aug-14 11:09:05

Agree Nonu.
MrA would not be seen dead in lingerie department, and I have not allowed him to come shopping for clothes with me since he put me off buying a Mary Farrin dress in a sale in 1978.
I'm still angry about that.
grin

Atqui Wed 27-Aug-14 11:20:47

Ha ! I was saying the same thing this week to a friend. It 's one of my pet hates.... men hanging around the underwear dept in M and S, or the local lingerie shop. I'm probably über sensitive about this because I require v. large cup size , and I imagine them thinking all kinds of thoughts . They are probably not , but I wish they would just go and get a coffee somewhere or go and browse the Y fronts!!!

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:22:19

My oh would rather have spent time in a chandlers, no problem there! But clothes shops? You must be joking.
He had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get a new shirt or jacket - for him!

vegasmags Wed 27-Aug-14 11:23:01

What's even worse is when you see men on their own, fingering the bras. Puts me right off.

janeainsworth Wed 27-Aug-14 11:25:36

Galen A chandlery - man heaven grin

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 11:32:20

I quite like them as well. Which remind me, I need some yacht safety netting. :- for my landing. It has wide spaced horizontal bars and darling daughter is worried the children might fall through?

ninathenana Wed 27-Aug-14 11:39:07

I too find this slightly odd. DH would stand nearby or go look at something else. He has never bought me nor attempted to help me choose underwear in the 43 years I've known him.
I would not take him clothes shopping for me, I'd rather go alone or with DD but he doesn't protest if we're out and about and I pop in a shop I like the look of. He likes me to help him choose his own clothes as he admits to having lousy taste grin

henetha Wed 27-Aug-14 11:52:26

The only acceptable time for men to be handling our knickers is when we are actually wearing them. grin

kittylester Wed 27-Aug-14 11:53:52

I like taking DH with me clothes shopping as he always says 'get that one as well!!' grin

Atqui Wed 27-Aug-14 11:59:21

henetha or if they are pegging out the washing should we be so fortunate!!

Soutra Wed 27-Aug-14 12:16:07

At last a sensible(?) thread!
Some of the othrts have been PANTS grin

harrigran Wed 27-Aug-14 12:17:09

Ditto kitty. DH is afraid I may drag him off to another shop so usually says " get a few while you are here ". I have to say that I trust his judgement totally.

kittylester Wed 27-Aug-14 12:23:56

harri grin

janeainsworth Wed 27-Aug-14 12:54:38

Galen we had to have the safety netting too! What are these DDs like?grin

Galen Wed 27-Aug-14 12:57:49

Over protective. Darling daughter has just thrown out a jar of MY JAM because it's been open since she last came and not in the fridge!
She's now decided that she doesn't like and has never liked the brand of egg I buy. I've bought them for years!

janeainsworth Wed 27-Aug-14 13:02:58

Just smile and say nothing! Try not to grind your teeth while you're doing it! grin

rosequartz Wed 27-Aug-14 13:16:57

There was a man lingering around the lingerie department in M&S when I went recently, very off-putting; I said to an assistant who was helping me, 'I do wish he would go away, he is putting me off'. She said that he was probably choosing something for himself.

The only reason DH might venture in that department is to say 'for goodness' sake, are you going to be there all day, I want some lunch*.

feetlebaum Wed 27-Aug-14 13:23:06

As an aged Lothario, I must agree with henetha...

henetha Wed 27-Aug-14 13:25:00

grin grin grin .... very good!

Good point about the washing too.....

Nonu Wed 27-Aug-14 13:35:53

ROSE, your first paragraph, I never thought of that . Perhaps when the bloke said to woman"These are pretty", he meant for himself.

winkwink

Starling Wed 27-Aug-14 13:47:32

I think it is sad when a woman has no independent money and has to have things paid for by a man.

Starling Wed 27-Aug-14 13:49:08

Oh. Was he saying "pretty, dear" as in "nice, love" or "pretty dear" as in "quite expensive"?

kittylester Wed 27-Aug-14 13:55:45

Starling, I don't think we know who was paying - she might be buying them for him! confused

Starling Wed 27-Aug-14 13:59:30

kittylester smile. Strangely I somehow find that more acceptable.