Gransnet forums

Chat

Denture pots

(23 Posts)
nanapug Fri 19-Sep-14 17:41:36

This is a strange question but here goes. Does any one know where you can buy pretty denture pots? I hate the functional ones I have seen, I like things to be feminine and pretty, especially a pot for putting my teeth in as I struggle with the fact that I have falsies any way!!

whitewave Fri 19-Sep-14 17:48:45

My grandad used to put his in a glass and leave them in the bathroom I remember that on cold winter nights they used to freeze!

merlotgran Fri 19-Sep-14 18:01:19

My ma-in-law used to put hers in a mug in the cupboard under the sink!

I like to think she used Steradent but they always sat next to the Vim. shock

Mamie Fri 19-Sep-14 18:20:59

Steradent is excellent for getting limescale off the toilet bowl
My granny used to put hers under the pillow. grin

Mishap Fri 19-Sep-14 18:34:47

You can get some very pretty lidded china sugar bowls. They might do the trick.

These are pretty: www.portmeirion.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=sugar+bowl

Ebay have some too: www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=PORTMEIRION%20LIDDED%20DOMED%20SUGAR%20BOWL%20POMONA%20PATTERN&_itemId=390565005482

I guess you would need to ring up to find exact dimensions - I do not know how big your gnashers are!

Other companies like Worcester would do them too.

At the moment, with broken back tooth, I think I might prefer to have falsies!

Elegran Fri 19-Sep-14 18:38:58

Does it have to be designed specifically as a denture pot? You can get pretty lidded china pots meant for jam, or for dressing-table containers? Charity shops generally have them on their bits and pieces shelves, but if you don't like the thought of putting your wallies in someone else's cast-offs you could buy a new one.

Elegran Fri 19-Sep-14 18:40:00

Crossed posts Mishap I almost put gnashers too, but settles for wallies.

shysal Fri 19-Sep-14 18:49:25

How about something like this? Dimensions given should be big enough.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cupcake-Shaped-Ceramic-Trinket-or-Jewellery-Box-Novelty-new-/400310971800?pt=UK_Collectables_Ornaments_RL&hash=item5d3464ad98

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Sep-14 19:23:34

Mamie With your remark about steradent and limescale in toilets I cannot help but think about doing two jobs at once. Just add the dentures and leave overnight.

Sorry folks!

rosequartz Fri 19-Sep-14 19:27:18

I have a very nice Royal Worcester jam pot which dentures could possibly fit in.
Another reason to keep it!

Thank you for the tip about the steradent and limescale, Mamie

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Sep-14 23:37:16

Rosequartz I am now imagining the dentures lurking underneath a layer of Jam.

Ana Fri 19-Sep-14 23:43:54

You could always get a plain white plastic one and decorate it yourself, nanapug. You could find pretty, flowery stickers or whatever you like, and add varnish on top.

Marelli Sat 20-Sep-14 01:02:18

I have 3 on a plate and I keep them in...(now my secret's out)! shock Do others take theirs out at night?

KatyK Sat 20-Sep-14 10:08:30

Marelli - I don't take mine out, I couldn't bear to. I have been severely traumatised by having had dentures since I was 11 sad The only way I have been able to deal with it is to pretend I haven't got them! Obviously I take them out to clean them and I am very hygienic with them. (Not meaning to hijack the thread.) No pretty pots necessary here but I hope you find something nanapug. grin

rosequartz Sat 20-Sep-14 10:11:28

nelliemoser a nice big jammy grin

henetha Sat 20-Sep-14 10:13:11

I do this, Ana. I buy lovely stickers and decorate everything, including this laptop. Good idea wiith a denture pot.
I've got a denture, but never take it out at night.... you never know when the Black Magic man might arrive with the chocolates. smile

Marelli Sat 20-Sep-14 10:27:29

gringrin (gnashers/wallies)! My dentist told me I should take them out at night to let the mouth 'recover'. I wouldn't dream of it - what if the cat got hold of them - she's very likely to hunt them out shock - and also I might forget I hadn't got them in and turn to DH in the morning to tell him it was his turn to make the tea....blush!

kittylester Sat 20-Sep-14 11:01:31

Just take them out if you are rushed to hospital. Patients losing their dentures in hospital make up about 40% of DH's patients!

I spoke to one man whose wife had lost her dentures, hearing aid and glasses whilst in hospital shock.

KatyK Sat 20-Sep-14 13:27:30

Marelli grin

nanapug Sat 20-Sep-14 18:02:56

Ha ha, you have all made me giggle. I wish there was a "like" button on here.
I was also told to take them out at night. I like the idea of a jam type pot, will look for something like that. It's not a full set so doesn't need to be too large!! I just don't like to see them smiling at me in the morning. I fancy a nice Cath Kidston one!!

whitewave Sat 20-Sep-14 18:08:04

I had a single tooth on a plate which I somehow managed to loose. But the thing is that the other teeth have now filled the gap and so I don't need it anyway

Elegran Sat 20-Sep-14 22:03:17

Some dentists say to leave them out for a shorter time, say ten minutes a day, so the all-night thing may not be obligatory. If they and your own teeth are thoroughly cleaned frequently, and the gums beneath are healthy, leave 'em in.

Ana Sat 20-Sep-14 22:15:20

I can't see what good 10 minutes a day would do. I have two teeth on a plate and my dentist advises leaving them out overnight.

I agree about being vigilant in hospital, you have to remove all dentures before an operation and unless you have a special pot to keep them in and make sure you know where they are, it can be a worry!