Gransnet forums

Chat

I think I might stay!

(33 Posts)
MammaTJ Sat 11-Oct-14 11:07:47

I am a Mumsnet refugee! My DD1 got married this year and they are trying for a baby. I will hopefully be a Gran soon enough, so may as well stay around.

I do also have two younger DC, DD2, age 9 and DS age 8.

I am a student nurse in my late mid 40s.

So, how about you tell me a little bit about you? grin

Icyalittle Sun 12-Oct-14 17:33:49

Great to have some new faces around! I'm 66, retired last year, but now a School Governor 50 miles away, first GC last year who is gorgeous, elderly 90+ mother who is less so. Two DCs, both married, and I live in Wiltshire with my DH, married for 44 years. I wander into MN from time to time and always have a good chortle at MN weekly newsletters.

Margsus Sun 12-Oct-14 17:25:04

Hi Mamma, I'm 65, married for 36 years and have a wonderful 5 month old granddaughter. I haven't been on here for too long, but enjoy dipping in and out.

shysal Sun 12-Oct-14 17:21:51

Welcome MammaTJ, you have years of fun ahead of you as a grandmother! Those of us with blue names have visible profiles, although there is nothing very interesting on mine. I have dipped into MN on the odd occasion, but there is just too much content on there for me to plough through, so I prefer the more sedate flow of threads on here.
Hope you won't need the benefit of our revelations about facial whiskers, dribbling and 'senior moments' for many years to come! grin

glammanana Sun 12-Oct-14 16:32:45

Welcome MamaTJ I will confess to being 60ish with 3 grown DCs and 7 DGCs all grown up for last two who are 11 & 13.
I have been here on GN since day one and enjoy the discussions and competitions which I have been very lucky with.
No zimmer frames or lap-top rugs here,I am still firmly still a slave to my levi jeans ankle boots and long hair but I do conform some of the time when I have to,so enjoy the forum and keep posting,I do go over over to visit the other side quite a bit and find it very fast but interesting.grin

Nelliemoser Sun 12-Oct-14 15:59:17

MamaTJ Welcome. I am 66. I have been on here since about March 2012 . One 2yr old DGS and a newly announced sibling for him due in late April.

MY DD Started a nursing course when she was 27. That was a huge surprise to me as it was a career I had ever imagined she would do.

Good luck with your course. It must be very hard doing that with children.
I admire your determination.

MammaTJ Sun 12-Oct-14 14:03:20

Oh, I am definitely staying.

I don't like the echo in the MN local site, is it less empty over here?

Pittcity Sun 12-Oct-14 10:12:30

I do hope some of you stay smile

I inhabit both universes, but lean more to GN now that I am a gran.

Hope you have all taken a look at your Gransnet and Mumsnet local sites and added something to them.

jenn Sun 12-Oct-14 00:06:23

hello MammaTJ, I'm 63 retired from teaching,live alone ,2 loopy elderly dogs and a grumpy horse.Son ,daughter in law and grandson in Poland.Found GN this year but haven't tried any competitions yet.

numberplease Sat 11-Oct-14 23:34:49

Hello MammaTJ, I`m 71, 51 years wed, 5 children, 7 grandchildren, 1 very picky cat, been on GN since 2011. Haven`t entered any major competitions on here, but have (happily) won a good few books.

MammaTJ Sat 11-Oct-14 17:00:54

LittleFlo, not so sure I chose care, more like it chose me! I tried leaving and worked in a shop for a while but ended up spending all my time taking care of the elderly customers, who nobody else could be bothered with instead of selling things. grin

Not just me then Gannyknot. wink

Grannyknot Sat 11-Oct-14 16:37:52

Jeepers, I just read my post from this morning again and I realise it doesn't make much sense. Kindle calamities!

Yes mamma they are close enough for cuddles smile

littleflo Sat 11-Oct-14 13:27:01

MammaTJ I have enormous admiration for anyone who "chooses" to work in care, nursing or social work. I would never have coped without the outstanding professionals that I have had contact with over the last 4 years. So a big thank you from me to any of you mums that are working in these fields.

DejaVualloveragain Sat 11-Oct-14 12:33:45

No immediate danger of me becoming a gran either [grin

Still it's nice to know Gransnet is here for future reference.

MammaTJ Sat 11-Oct-14 12:33:14

Yes Chipping, it doesn't light up like on MN, I only found out through email!

LittleFlo, even though I have done care work all my adult life and am now a student nurse, I don't think I could look after a relative. I know how hard it is, but I can leave at the end of my very long shift, not so easy when they are family.

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 12:28:31

Oh - just found it grin

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 12:27:54

MamaTJ I sent you a PM - not sure if you have found it yet, or how we know we have them over here - I can't find an envelope or anything?

littleflo Sat 11-Oct-14 12:19:32

Hi Mamma. I am 66, Granma to 7, step-greatgranma to 1, ages from 2 - 20.
Love helping out with them.

Also carer for 3 of the next generation upwards 92 - 85. Can only admit on hear that don't enjoy that side of my life.

MammaTJ Sat 11-Oct-14 12:18:27

Thank you!

Mishap Sat 11-Oct-14 12:16:01

Welcome!

MammaTJ Sat 11-Oct-14 12:12:28

WandaDoff, I would have thought so.

hildajenniJ Sat 11-Oct-14 11:59:57

Welcome Mamma I'm 62 and a Granny to four lovely little people. I've only been a member of GN since March as I'm new to computing. I'm finding it all great fun. Stick around, I hope you enjoy the experience as much as me.

MammaTJ Sat 11-Oct-14 11:55:06

The bakeware looks gorgeous, but I cannot pun!

WandaDoff Sat 11-Oct-14 11:54:55

I am a StepGran, does that count?

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 11:50:02

Kidding, kidding - really, just kidding!!

The bakeware looks nice, but I think it would be mean to enter your competitions!

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 11:49:25

No, you're alright Kitty, I'm not after a Zimmer Frame or a Lap Rug just yet.