Gransnet forums

Chat

Nets or no nets

(64 Posts)
NanKate Thu 16-Oct-14 22:17:56

I can never understand why some people have nets at their windows.

I love the sunlight to come in to my house and it doesn't worry me if anyone looks into my house from the front garden.

I do have a walled back garden and bushes around half of the front of my house as some sort of protection from the outside world, but that's all.

apricot Fri 17-Oct-14 18:28:45

Dear God, I thought the last net curtain died in 1970!
I do have an embroidered voile curtain in the groundfloor bathroom's clear window but that's not a net, it's not, IT'S NOT!

nannotgran Fri 17-Oct-14 18:46:16

My mother always said you can tell what people are like by there nets .Yes I have nets and am always being told how nice they look

nannotgran Fri 17-Oct-14 18:46:56

My mother always said you can tell what people are like by there nets .Yes I have nets and am always being told how nice they look

nannotgran Fri 17-Oct-14 18:47:51

Sorry I got carried away

Purpledaffodil Fri 17-Oct-14 21:03:20

Only one in the whole house. Large fifties window faces onto road which is slightly higher than lounge. Without it, we do feel very exposed, but don't have them in bedroom windows, just pull the curtains until we're dressed. Have thought of Venetian blinds but window is so big, it would have to be custom made and CBA. smile

petallus Sat 18-Oct-14 14:14:06

goldengirl what is a window film exactly? Do you stick it on the window?

And did somebody say they washed their nets every week shock? Mine get done about once a year.

littlegran Sat 18-Oct-14 14:21:36

i ]did have nets for several years but after watching so many house improvementshows on TV where they said nets were a definite no go. i took them all down and had blinds fitted. i can open and close the slats as i wish and now much prefer them.

HollyDaze Sat 18-Oct-14 14:51:01

house improvementshows on TV where they said nets were a definite no go

Ah but there are nets and there are nets littlegran (apparently) wink

Personally, I think if people like something very much inside their home then they should have it - regardless of what others think. Most of the no-no attitudes come down to snobbery anyway.

Ana Sat 18-Oct-14 17:51:04

I've been looking in curtain shops recently for new living room curtains, and yesterday thought I'd have a look at what 'nets' were on offer these days.

None, apparently, unless you want those jardiniere ones for kitchen windows. It's all voile panels now!

HollyDaze Sat 18-Oct-14 18:55:02

We have an old-fashioned draper's shop. I went in recently (as I'm thinking of replacing the heavy curtains with something lighter next Spring and Summer) and they have a fabulous range of 'nets' - really beautiful. I do draw the line at voile panels - and tab tops.

goldengirl Sat 18-Oct-14 20:35:18

Yes Petallus DH bought ours on Amazon and cut it to size, peeled off the back and stuck it on. We have a small air bubble on one side but apart from that its fine. I think you can get different patterns but ours is plain.

rosequartz Sat 18-Oct-14 21:02:29

We have a 'through kitchen' with windows front and rear so I have vertical blinds at the front - another reason is that birds have been known to slam against the window presumably because they can see straight through and don't realise there is a window there.

etheltbags1 Sat 18-Oct-14 21:06:02

you can tell someones age from what they have at their windows, if they have nets they are over 55, usually over 60. voile panels they are 20's and the dreaded vertical blinds are usually 40 plus.
By the way I have vertical blinds but not the usual kind, I have the plastic heavy duty ones with no chains as they are cat proof (my babies used to chew the chains of the other sort).

Ana Sat 18-Oct-14 21:10:41

Rubbish! I have voile panels and I'm certainly not 20 grin

And why are vertical blinds 'dreaded'? I'd agree if you'd said horizontal ones - horrible things and so fiddly to clean.

Nonu Sat 18-Oct-14 21:14:11

ETHEL, have to disagree, we have a Georgian house that is right on the street, have nets on the ground floor for privacy, then on the next two floors no nets . smile

annodomini Sat 18-Oct-14 21:21:19

I had neither nets nor voiles nor blinds in my last house which had a front garden and, come to think of it, none of the neighbours had them either. I have never had voile panels, but bought the voile and gathered the curtains I made onto a wire. Anyway, the (neither dreaded nor dreadful) vertical blinds look tidier and cleaner than nets or voiles.

tanith Sat 18-Oct-14 22:11:29

Well I'm 67 and not a net curtain in sight thank goodness..

Purpledaffodil Sun 19-Oct-14 08:44:38

Twenty three years ago when we bought our house it had ruched, flouncy nets at each window. They were very ancient and old fashioned even then and went in the bin on moving day. Amazed to see that a house down the road which had them then, still has them. Must be some sort of net curtain record? shock

Jane10 Sun 19-Oct-14 09:29:22

Our old house had a large picture window at the front. As we lived next to a busy school we really felt like goldfish as parents (and Grans) took and collected their kids. It seemed impossible for people not to peer in at us innocently going about our business in our own home. Generally they stopped if I waved enthusiastically at them! Got narrow venetian blinds in the end. We could angle them in such a way as to let light through but not allow nosy interested passersby to observe us.

annodomini Sun 19-Oct-14 10:31:00

When I stay in my sister's spare room, I am eye to eye with passengers on the upper deck of every bus that passes. No nets, voiles or blinds - I just have to close the curtains when I am getting dressed/undressed.

abbey Sun 19-Oct-14 15:15:15

When I stay in my sister's spare room, I am eye to eye with passengers on the upper deck of every bus that passes

My previous house was like that and I had nets up those windows. But that was back in the 1980's.

I carried on with the nets when I moved to my present home. However, I recently had all my windows replaced with new UPCV ones and decided not to put the nets back as we are not overlooked and besides getting them back up would mean my drilling holes in my lovely new plastic frames.

I found out something quite interesting by doing this - my nets had been retaining damp from condensation (when I took them down I realised they were damp and mouldy round the ends) and causing my rooms to be damp. Now the damp has gone.

I do sometimes think though the windows now look staring and the house looks unlived in outside.

Flowerofthewest Sun 19-Oct-14 20:36:36

I have nets, goodness knows why as I have a 6ft hedge around the front garden. I hate it when people put nets up in there houses though, it spoils my enjoyment of peering in when I walk past on an winter's evening.

sweetpea Mon 20-Oct-14 01:09:21

Ethel, I am 67 and never had nets in my life! Just got voile in my dining room, which are pulled back everyday - the room is North facing, so need as much light as I can get.

HollyDaze Mon 20-Oct-14 12:11:11

I do sometimes think though the windows now look staring and the house looks unlived in outside.

My mother (nets at every window) always felt that undressed windows looked, to her, like blind eyes.

petallus Mon 20-Oct-14 14:47:18

I took my bedroom nets down yesterday and cleaned the windows. What a difference, the room is so light and the outside world so vivid when looking at it from the inside.

And that's part of the problem. My bedroom is my sanctuary and I think some kind of window covering would create a calmer atmosphere.

I am investigating voile blinds at the moment but it is a wide window, over 230cm.

Meanwhile, I notice from other forums that people are using voile nets but stretching them over the window instead of having a gathered fullness so I might try that.