Gransnet forums

Chat

Nets or no nets

(64 Posts)
NanKate Thu 16-Oct-14 22:17:56

I can never understand why some people have nets at their windows.

I love the sunlight to come in to my house and it doesn't worry me if anyone looks into my house from the front garden.

I do have a walled back garden and bushes around half of the front of my house as some sort of protection from the outside world, but that's all.

Katek Mon 20-Oct-14 22:39:49

Not a net in sight in my house! we have a mixture of roller and wooden slatted blinds, apart from the dreaded verticals in the sitting room which we inherited with the house when we moved in last year. They are on my 'to do' list after Christmas and will be replaced with wooden slatted blinds. We never close our curtains, just use the blinds. I hate that feeling of being shut in.

Ana Mon 20-Oct-14 22:49:51

Why are vertical blinds 'dreaded'? I thought it was horizontal ones which were fiddly and hard to clean?

We have vertical blinds at work and they're wonderful - must get round to installing some in my own house!

Coolgran65 Tue 21-Oct-14 02:21:41

I've just replaced my old verticals with a set of the new rigid verticals that don't have strings/chains along the bottom. Rollers in the bathroom and kitchen.
The new hard rigid verticals are not dreaded by me. I love mine.

Ariadne Tue 21-Oct-14 11:00:58

Vertical blinds always remind me of my office, which is why I prefer not to have them! There are still some inherited ones in the conservatory, but the price of conservatory blinds (at least the plain, pleated ones I like!) is horrendous. So that can wait a while.
I dislike nets, voiles etc, and much prefer a plain blind, semi opaque in some cases.

HollyDaze Tue 21-Oct-14 15:24:16

I have a set of vertical blinds in the shower room but they are lace panels so they look very pretty when they're closed or partially open - probably still look like an office window from the outside though.

I tried blinds once in the living room but had them installed so that they pulled up, instead of down, so I could just cover the bottom part of the window; I hated that as well so out they came.

Good job we all have different tastes or it would all look very samey.

etheltbags1 Wed 22-Oct-14 11:10:11

Hey coolgran, I have the hard plastic verticals too, I have to have them for my cats as I said above they chew the chains of the cheaper sort(cloth blinds). I said vertical blinds are 'dreaded' because so many people have them. I watched a home make over programme some time ago and the voice over said that the house was attractive but if the vertical blinds were removed the value of the house would rise, they are apparently not a selling point. too common apparently.
When I got my blinds I was recommended by a woman with 6 squirrels in her home, she worked for a rescue centre and brought the homeless babies to live with her till they were old enough for release and she told me they ate vertical blinds so she got the hard plastic ones and I bought some too, this was 10 years ago mine are almost worn out now so will have to think about replacing soon.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 11:19:22

I bought a beautiful piece of net, made to measure, hem stitched edges, the lot. Now the decorating is finished and I want to put it up, can I find it?!

[sigh]

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 11:21:53

I think a net on the window finishes a room off nicely. Especially a bedroom. A softening effect. (and a bit of extra insulation)

petallus Wed 22-Oct-14 11:54:05

I've put back the nets which I removed a few days ago from my bedroom window. Or at least I have put one of them up, so there is far less gathering. I didn't like the stark effect of a bare window. The nets give a softer light in the room.

Probably I shall replace the nets with a daylight roller blind as soon as I can arrange it. The only thing is, the nets get dirty where I leave a window open. I wash them. I am wondering whether it's possible to clean a blind.

If it wasn't for Gransnet, I'd be still putting up with the original arrangement grin

merlotgran Wed 22-Oct-14 12:27:00

I'm going to put netsvoile back up at our bedroom window. I changed to a roller blind (inside the curtains) a couple of years ago but I'm sick of trying to keep it clean as living in the middle of farmland means there is a lot of dust!!

We're not overlooked but the bedroom is alongside the drive and the postman et al tend to park right by the window!!

felice Thu 23-Oct-14 17:03:17

I hate nets, am 60. My Mother loved nets, she and her friends once went through a phase of dyeinghem, so we had puke green and urine yellow nets,, until my Father came home from work, the colours are his description I heard being shouted from the Dining room as I very very quietly did my homework in another room. He hated nets, used to ask what she had to be ashamed of and did he not work hard enough to give her everything she wanted!!!!!!!

Coolgran65 Thu 23-Oct-14 18:58:02

Ethalbags, my plastic verticals were got just a couple of months ago, the fabric of the previous blinds getting rather tired and dingy. I think it was around £350 for our standard semi. Excluding bathroom.

Quite often I open them to the sides during the day.

Only negative, if the window is open and there is a breeze, they can be quite noisy, so sometimes we need to close the Windows.

Katek Tue 28-Oct-14 22:33:42

Verticals are 'dreaded' for me because they remind me of office/commercial premises and I also think they're very 80's. We didn't have anything on windows of last house apart from curtains as it was a country property. I've only temporarily retained the verticals at the front of this house as we have neighbours, but they're for the chop! ( The verticals that is, not the neighbours!)