Gransnet forums

Chat

Retirement

(39 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 07-Nov-14 13:41:27

Well I`ve been and gone and done it! I feel like I`ve just left my old life and started a new one. Today was the day and I cleared my office etc so early that I was home in time for lunch. Party tonight but then what? When will it sink in? Blimey I`m a pensioner - at last!! Where did the last 35 years go? shock Don't worry I`m not looking for answers I just wanted to tell someone.

Penstemmon Sat 08-Nov-14 22:35:12

Enjoy finding out all the interesting things there are to do !! I officially retired a few years ago just as I turned 60. Gradually I was asked back to do bits of work until the work commitments were nearly full time again. I decided to cut back (again!) and I do a bit less now than last year and I plan to stop altogether in July. I have built up other interests/activities and feel ready now to be work free.

suzied Sun 09-Nov-14 06:48:30

I couldn't find anything at U3A either, but don't diss the gym, I joined a local one on off peak membership for about £6 per week and I can swim, go to any daytime class, and there are loads, I do Pilates, yoga and Zumba as well as using the gym. Fantastic value. I go to college and do couture dressmaking one day a week. The best thing about retirement is being able to go on holiday last minute and at off peak times( I am writing this in Cyprus where I am in a beautiful hotel ands its 25degrees)

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Nov-14 07:23:32

Congratulations Jane10! I've just worked out that I retired 10 years ago! I did go back to cover holidays and sickness for a while so it was more a petering out.

I still find it worrying that money pops into my bank account periodically without my having worked to get it. I know, I know I paid in over my working life and all that, but it doesn't equate in my sub-conscious and I fully expect a governmental letter any day telling it's got to stop!

papaoscar Sun 09-Nov-14 10:11:10

There are times Jane10, when after nearly seventeen years of retirement I wonder whether or not I have enjoyed it. But on balance I have and still do. Like all things there are upsides and downsides. One upside is having he freedom to do what you choose. A downside can be the perception not to have an active role in life. Some folk just miss their work and the companionship of it. Motivation can be a problem and, of course, health, strength and financial freedom are vital. However, it takes some time to adjust to the new role, perhaps even a year or two, so give yourself time, at least you have GN with whom to exchange views. Good luck!

laurajane1955 Tue 25-Nov-14 13:26:55

For those who have had their retirement pushed back, as I have, TWICE, please sign and share with others this petition. Thanks!
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/let-men-and-women-retire-at-60-with-a-state-pension

jenn Tue 25-Nov-14 20:28:27

I retired 3 years ago and I love it.
After so many years of selling my time it still feels odd to get money for doing nothing.....yes I did pay in I know.
The joy of being in bed with a cuppa and radio four at 9 o clock is priceless...no whistle ,no bell, no kids, no targets......bliss.
I spend my days doing what I want when I want, although with two dogs and a horse it's usually what they want.
Enjoy every minute..

Lapwing Tue 25-Nov-14 20:37:23

Jane - I have been retired nearly five years now and just love it. I am lucky because i am relatively healthy and able to participate in most of the activities that I am interested in. It does take a while to get used to - I still woke up at 5.30 every morning for about six months - not any more.

Take the time to learn new things and meet new people and your retirement will be enriched.

Ariadne Tue 25-Nov-14 20:45:06

Retirement is wonderful! I do lots of things, but I don't have to - it's my choice.

Even though I have spent the last year being reconstructed (knee, hip, cataracts) I have had time to recover, with no pressure to get back and get on with work. I had breast cancer when I was working and taking off the time necessary for chemo etc was stressful in itself.

I can read well into the night, take time thinking about getting up, and say sod it no thank you to cooking if I don't feel like it.

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 21:27:33

I retired at 57, great decision. I was able to do what i wanted to do. If I wanted some responsibility there were plenty of jobs going ( I worked in an Age Concern Day Centre) If I wanted time out, I could take it. Had time to pursue hobbies etc. Also I was financially OK on my pension and did not have to worry about being made redundant etc.

Iam64 Wed 26-Nov-14 08:59:31

4 years since I retired, welcome to the club Jane10. I retired a couple of years earlier than I'd planned, due to health problems. Ive been lucky as good medication keeps the worst of the health problems at bay and I'm enjoying everything about retirement.

It took a very brief time before I found myself wondering how I'd ever had the time to go to work grin

FlicketyB Wed 26-Nov-14 22:36:49

Like numberplease I was catapulted into retirement in my early 50s when I opted for voluntary redundancy aka early retirement. I tried to get back to work but women, at any level, were a drug on the market in 1996 (I do not think much has changed) and apart from doing six months maternity cover for a charity where I was a volunteer I haven't been in paid employment since.

However, since then I have volunteered with several charities and volunteer groups and last week found myself needing to attend meetings every day for one group or another. The meetings ranged from routine committee meetings, to site meetings with architects, to interviewing new volunteers - and I love every minute of it.

loopylou Tue 02-Dec-14 20:44:11

Hear, hear Laurajane1955...... My retirement age seems to be going further away the longer I work....currently March 2018 but not banking on it! Wrecked any plans I made to retire at 60 after working full time all my life, especially as now health suffering. Obviously Government would love us to pop our clogs and save them money! Sorry if sounds bitter but am struggling somewhat!

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-Dec-14 11:05:29

I'm in that club too, loopylou. Fortunately I've a small local government pension, so when I was made redundant earlier this year that clicked in. I realise how lucky I am in that respect, but am furious that I have to wait at least 6 years until I'm 66 for the state pension I've worked for and expected since I was 19. Sometimes I think HM Government just floated this as an outrageous idea they weren't expecting to get away with, and rubbed their hands with glee when we rolled over and accepted it.

And what probably gets to me even more is that we in England (unlike the rest of the UK) don't even have the free bus pass as some small compensation until the ever receding retirement date arrives (I should expect it'll be long gone by then anyway). My husband is 65 and has had his for 5 years.

Sorry, rant over! grin