Gransnet forums

Chat

Certainties in life

(47 Posts)
Soutra Wed 26-Nov-14 10:53:28

What is it they say? The only certainties in life are taxes and death?
I can add another- DH will have ignored the existence of the dishwasher regardless of the fact that I emptied it when I was down making the tea earlier, and his breakfast things are loitering hopefully in the vague vicinity of the sink.angry angry
What are your certainties?

Nonnie Thu 27-Nov-14 10:24:47

My certainty is that DH will always be here for me when things are bad.

However I also know that when the loo roll runs out he will take off the old one and never put it in the bin! I can also guarantee that at some point every day he will complain about his phone, the one he thought was superior to mine but which he doesn't seem to be able to work! Or it might be his laptop which isn't doing what he wants. Funny that for a man who spent his career in It!

anniezzz09 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:12:17

Mine include that DH will almost certainly ignore the dishwasher, do the washing up but leave things piled everywhere all over the sink and adjacent areas and he won't rinse things before he washes them and then he'll have let the water out of the sink and the drain trap will be full of bits of food and he won't notice!

DD won't clear the array of cups from her bedroom windowsill and when she comes in wet, she'll put her wet clothes AND shoes on top of the dry things in the airing cupboard.

On the positive side, DH will always make me cups of tea if I ask or anyway out of the blue. And he works jolly hard and uncomplainingly which I do appreciate him for.

Lastly, I am certain it is going to be another grey, wet winter. Yuck.

Jane10 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:54:18

Among various certainties in life-my sister will use the phrase "its a piece of nonsense" in almost any and every conversation I have with her! I actually look out for it now and naughtily try to wind her up sufficiently for her to come out with it. We don't see much of each other any more. Probably a relief all round!

littleflo Thu 27-Nov-14 09:46:09

Pompa you are going up an up in my estimation, added to your clothing (or lack of) habits, I now learn that you can make custard. Sigh.........

Eloethan Wed 26-Nov-14 23:29:07

pompa Surely your list is incomplete. What about a great sense of humour?

janerowena Wed 26-Nov-14 23:04:04

Because I know he puts a lot of effort into it.

janerowena Wed 26-Nov-14 23:03:43

Mine buys me a lovely Christmas stocking every year. I love it more than anything else I get.

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 20:45:26

As I was reading the OP I could hear DH calling from the kitchen:

'Oh, I see you put the dishwasher on earlier and you've emptied it!' grin

Stansgran Wed 26-Nov-14 19:32:26

Which is my certainty.

Stansgran Wed 26-Nov-14 19:24:23

Ok Pompa, my DH is kind, funny,intelligent,generous, good looking,buys me jewellery (saw him peering at the jewellers window today)for birthdays and Christmas, likes going on exotic holidays with me and is a long suffering father and grandfather and he's really nice to old ladies so I'm looking forward to a pampered old age. Ok he has a down side. He won't change the light bulbs in the bathroom and he swears at grey squirrels and when the hot water runs out, he spends a long time reading the paper and has after noon naps. I have a treasure.

grannyactivist Wed 26-Nov-14 19:13:19

'Room for improvement' then eh Pompa? smile
My certainty is that no matter how old my offspring get they will always hope (expect?) that mum will fix it - no matter what the 'it' is.

pompa Wed 26-Nov-14 19:04:45

Following this thread, Mrs. P listed the things I'm good at.

1 - making custard

2 -

That's it hmm

Lona Wed 26-Nov-14 18:25:18

I am absolutely certain that I will never get married again, and who here can blame me?

smile

pompa Wed 26-Nov-14 18:24:47

smilesmile

GrannyTwice Wed 26-Nov-14 18:23:24

Ok pompa - I often work away from home, as I am doing this week. When I get home on Friday evening, the house will be clean and tidy, all the washing done, ironed and put away in the correct place. The meals will have been planned and all shopping done. If I'm working away the next week ( which is the case this time) I wont have to lift a finger all weekend - all meals cooked and everything cleared away. Tea in bed each morning - and no, I do not hire him out.

absent Wed 26-Nov-14 18:13:26

The one certainty in my life is not connected to Mr absent but to absentdaughter and family. I can guarantee that if I have plans for one of the days when I don't normally look after the grandchildren – sort out my accounts, have a late lazy morning in my pyjamas with a library book, use that huge pile of stones in the corner of the garden to build the rockery at last – there will be a crisis, a problem or a need, quickly followed by an inundation of small people. Not that I am complaining…

numberplease Wed 26-Nov-14 17:59:02

The one certainty here is that my husband, comfortably ensconced upstairs in front of his big telly, and holding the PS3 controls, will every few minutes come out with expletives at the top of his voice. I do hope the neighbours are deaf!

pompa Wed 26-Nov-14 17:36:27

smile We are the opposite, I put the washing out in minutes, Mrs.P comes along and re-does it all, the pegs have to be just so.

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Nov-14 17:35:06

JaneR Good for you making a stand!

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Nov-14 17:32:59

One to reassure pompa My OH does put the washing machine on when needed.

He takes about half an hour to obsessively peg it on the line, but it does get done.

littleflo Wed 26-Nov-14 16:36:50

My certainty is, that if his team loses at the weekend the Monday newspaper will arrive home minus the sports pages. Papers are certainly getting thinner this season.

ninathenana Wed 26-Nov-14 13:50:19

pompa. DH is kind, considerate, generous and will help around the house, does all the gardening and is brilliant at woodwork.

Will that do grin

He is also bxxxxy frustrating at times. I'm sure I am too.

baubles Wed 26-Nov-14 13:23:29

Since this thread is entitled 'certainties in life' I have to say that my DH is mine. Steady as a rock.

If course he does have one or two tiny annoying quirks grin

janerowena Wed 26-Nov-14 13:18:45

I love mine dearly too. Yesterday he owned up to having done something dreadful, that he had promised he would never ever do again without asking me first.

He gets bad SAD every year and starts applying for new jobs. Unfortunately they all seem to want him. He promises EVERY YEAR that he will not do it again, he says the depression makes him forget. hmm

So he went and got himself a job in Bermuda. I know some of you may be thinking I am mad not to want to go, but he would only end up hating it there too. Not enough good choirs singing sacred music etc. So I really let rip this time, and he thoroughly apologised and bought me chocolate flowers, booked a table in a restaurant and tickets for The Imitation Game. And told the lovely people in Bermuda that he would be staying put.

Every (insert rude word of choice) year we go through a similar scenario and this is the first year he has acknowledged it properly, both to me and - shock of all shocks - to his school.

pompa Wed 26-Nov-14 13:15:52

THANK YOU - I was loosing the will to live. Better go and clear away lunch things before Mrs. P gets back.