Gransnet forums

Chat

The Christmas pre-nupp

(38 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 16:09:31

This means a "no unnecessary presents pact", according to the Money Saving Expert newsletter, and I think that there is often a good case for it.

Yesterday evening I had to listen to a friend complaining about how hard it is for her to find presents for her grown up sisters, especially sister XXX, whose name is always followed by the phrase "the one who's a barrister" (always makes me think of Hyacinth Bucket with her sister Violet, the one with a Mercedes and room for a pony).

We have this conversation every year, and every year I suggest that they all agree to stop it, or at least keep it to a token present with a pre-agreed limit. This conversation has been going on annually for at least the last 10 years that I can remember, and my friend and her husband are on a pretty tight income.

She then said how she had no idea what to get her children, who both live away (although very nearby) and are aged 25 and 23. She had got them a couple of silly little bits, but was then stuck. I suggested she ask them to make a list of 4 or 5 things, then choose something from that, so it would still be a surprise but at least would be something they wanted. She did say that she might get her daughters favourite perfume (which is not a cheap one) but then stagggered me by saying "I could get them each a jacket or a coat because at least it's something big to unwrap" shock

Is it me? I truly don't get it!

I do remember the feeling of doom as my mother would arrive on Christmas Day with bulging sacks, where she had bought things for the boys but then got more and more things "for the pleasure of seeing them unwrap lots of presents" but it was me that was left with trying to find space to store all the extra stuff that would rarely be played with.

I'm truly not a "bah humbug" person, but I struggle to understand my friends attitude.

What are your thoughts?

TwiceAsNice Fri 28-Nov-14 07:31:38

Should have put an s on the DGD they are twins!

FlicketyB Fri 28-Nov-14 08:14:54

Well, I love Christmas and everything that goes with it. Even if I was on my own it would be a blissful and happy day.

My father and grandfather were both in the army so nobody ever knew from one Christmas to the next where in the world (quite literally) the next Christmas would be spent so my Grandfather introduced, and my father continued, a set pattern for Christmas day that never varied no matter where or in what climate Christmas was celebrated. It was the one certainty in our otherwise peripatetic lives.

Even when DS and I spent 2 Christmases with our paternal grandparents when we were at boarding school and our parents were in the Far East, Christmas day followed exactly the same pattern as our Christmas at home with our parents, it was so consoling when we could not be with them.

We still follow most of the old customs and I will delight in the gift giving and stocking filling on Christmas Day

thatbags Fri 28-Nov-14 09:47:18

I'm not a gusher either, gaga, and so I feel uncomfortable for other people opening presents because they might not like to be watched, just like me. Too big a pile of expectation to heap onto someone, I feel. Not always, not when it's people I hardly know, such as at a retirement do or something, but with people you are close to, I feel it is a kind of forcing. I don't like to feel it and I don't like to feel I'm putting it onto others.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Nov-14 10:02:01

My elder daughter is very good at not gushing, should the need arise. A few Christmases back, amongst her small extra presents I bought her a nicely decorated pudding basin. Very pretty. I would have been pleased with it. She unwrapped it, held it up with a puzzled look on her face, and asked "what am I supposed to do with that?!" shock And laughed when I said about boiled puddings and storing left-over bits and pieces!

I have never bought her anything kitcheny again. hmm Ungrateful little so and so!

Teetime Fri 28-Nov-14 10:19:20

Well I see her point jing but I wouldn't have received it without thanking you for the thought. My family know giving me anything for the home is likely to bring terrible retribution on their heads!!

Teetime Fri 28-Nov-14 10:21:28

I have been ungrateful for a present though. In the early days of our marriage DH bought me some slippers - I put them in the bin! He hasn't done it again.

KatyK Fri 28-Nov-14 16:37:43

My DD has usually requested money for Christmas so I buy her a few little things to open on the day as well. The last few years however she has acquired some friends with expensive tastes and seems to be heading in that direction herself. I feel pressured to buy her more expensive stuff in case my gifts don't 'measure up'. Not pressure from her in any way, it's just that I feel mine are a bit inadequate nowadays. Silly I know.

Nonu Fri 28-Nov-14 17:40:17

Don"t you be worrying KATE, I wouldn't buy anything JUST TO KEEP UP WITH THE JONES"ES if you see what I mean. This is probably a fad with her which will pass in the fullness of time , just keep being a good, nice Mum .
((HUG))

Nonu Fri 28-Nov-14 17:48:18

We do "Secret Santa " in our family, every one picks a name out of the hat and that is the one you buy for, limit of £10, Works really well , saves money and also traipsing round the shops wondering what to get.

We obviously buy extra for G/C , but that is bye the bye.

DD has asked not to spend loads on them as they have SO much stuff already, give them money and it can be put towards a climbing frame for Summer
They also have birthdays in January so it is a double bubble.
smile

KatyK Fri 28-Nov-14 17:52:19

Nonu smile I am a daft old bat.

Nonu Fri 28-Nov-14 17:55:38

smile You are NOT.

KatyK Fri 28-Nov-14 18:19:41

smile