Gransnet forums

Chat

Bagging a Black Friday bargain

(66 Posts)
Kiora Thu 27-Nov-14 22:24:51

Are any of you tempted to join in the apparent rush for bargains this Friday? I just think it's another ploy to get us to spend more money( I'm getting very cynical in my old age) I'd rather wait for the January sales when I'V recovered from Christmas.

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 13:10:30

Snap tiggypiro. On Monday I paid £9.95 for a rather nice wool coat. From cancer research.

glammanana Fri 28-Nov-14 13:08:29

annodomini I gave up on the web site it was unavailable so I jumped on the Liverpool bus from the top of my Road and was there and back within the hour.grin

annodomini Fri 28-Nov-14 12:50:13

Have tried some stores' web sites which are dead slow and, in some cases, stop!

glammanana Fri 28-Nov-14 11:59:00

We first encountered Black Friday when we where in The States a couple of years ago right after Thanksgiving,we did not understand the frenzie it caused until a friend told us it's the way of the Stores putting their finances back in The Black after possible poor sales during the previous year we did take advantage of it and OH bought some of his favourite branded jeans at a massive saving even on US prices.
I have just this morning bought DSs dressing gowns at 50% discount at BHS not an impulse buy as I had budgeted for them anyway at full price so am quite pleased to have saved £35 in total.

Charleygirl Fri 28-Nov-14 11:45:26

I am patiently waiting for 2 Amazon deliveries. One is a Kindle Fire HD the one with the MayDay button with £100 off, for Black Friday. The other is a cat basket which fits over a radiator and that was less than 1/2 price.

I could not be bothered queueing for anything.

tiggypiro Fri 28-Nov-14 11:38:29

I loathe shopping at the best of times so Black Friday for me is an even better excuse than usual not to go shopping.
However I have got an absolute bargain this week. A Debenhams wool and cashmere long coat, hardly worn for £9.95. It is the sort of coat I would have looked at in a 'proper' shop and according to my shopping friends would have been about £300 hence why I would have only looked at it !
I am pleased Phoenix that you did not find your freezer cheaper today !

pompa Fri 28-Nov-14 11:26:58

LOL, Mrs. P bought an Owl motive Xmas top yesterday. And very nice it is too (just in case she sees this)

Anne58 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:19:54

What is it with owls? They seem to be everywhere at the moment!

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 11:07:07

Oh dear, I've succumbed and bought some silver and marcasite owl earrings from Amazon. They were £12.50, supposedly reduced from £34.

Anne58 Fri 28-Nov-14 11:03:04

Someone just forwarded me a link to Curry's website, and there is currently a wait of 43 minutes just to get on it! shock

Jane10 Fri 28-Nov-14 10:28:22

Yes Black Friday is just the latest commercial ploy along. Wonder what will be next? Dressing up for Black Friday? Black Friday cards?
I have been heavily influenced by DH (who is in business) and also all the various antiques programmes on TV. In my maturity I now find I have enough confidence and I`m not embarrassed to ask for a better price or offer a much lower price for something I`m wanting. I don't mean in chain stores (Like JL or M&S) though I did think I got a much better deal on a car than originally offered. I recently got £300 off a desk and £330 off a special present I was buying. I just asked! Its always worth a try but you have to be prepared to be rebuffed or to walk away.
Lets just leave Black Friday to the young and credulous!

bookdreamer Fri 28-Nov-14 10:22:13

Was just talking about this. If I was starting out with a young family and had very little money and thought there was a genuine bargain to be had I would be making use of the Black Friday bargains. It's what people used to do on Boxing Day.

GillT57 Fri 28-Nov-14 10:19:36

I find the whole thing repellent. It is only stuff. Nobody is fighting for a bag of grain to feed their family, just yet another flat screen tv. And, do people really think that the likes of Tesco and ASDA are giving stuff away? really? It is all a cynical ploy to part people from their cash. I was planning on going shopping after work this afternoon until I realised it was Black Friday so shall just get some food in my local Coop, including a bottle of fine red, and then do my shopping from my laptop and get it delivered on Monday. wine

Teetime Fri 28-Nov-14 10:17:12

I was going to look for a certain pair of shoes in Clarks but when I walked into our little Clarks yesterday there they were reduced by £10 so I nabbed them - not looking for anything else really and no way would I fight through the crowds to go looking for things I don't really need. having said that I might look at the Dunelm mill website for some new Dorma bedding- don't like their own it goes all floppy when its washed.

henetha Fri 28-Nov-14 10:14:25

I hate things like Black Friday. Never even heard of it until recently.
My email inbox was full of Black Friday adverts and offers this morning.
I deleted all of them.

Lapwing Fri 28-Nov-14 10:08:26

Mishap my DH is an expert when it comes to 'rolling his eyes' at the strange things that go on in this world. grin

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 10:04:39

I think that "rolling the eyes" is the most appropriate response!

tanith Fri 28-Nov-14 09:58:45

I don't really know what it is apart from a sale... no shopping for me today.

Lona Fri 28-Nov-14 09:42:09

The only thing I'll be bagging today is a large glass of red wine when I'm out having a delicious lunch!
I would rather stick pins in my eye lids than shop in the sales. Nothing is that important.

Lapwing Fri 28-Nov-14 09:41:58

annodomini you are not alone. My DH was listening to the radio this morning and asked me what this Black Friday was all about. Told him and he just rolled his eyes.

annodomini Fri 28-Nov-14 09:38:21

I'd never heard of 'Black Friday' until a few weeks ago, my American friend mentioned what chaos it caused. This morning I woke up to find that this 'tradition' had crossed the Atlantic. I was going to go to Stockport this morning but rapidly changed my mind and had an extra half hour in bed.

KatyK Fri 28-Nov-14 09:36:31

There has just been a warning on our local news that traffic is at a standstill around our local Asda confused

Greenfinch Fri 28-Nov-14 09:07:51

Tesco had reduced all their clothing by 25 per cent yesterday so I managed to get my grandson a Christmas jumper for Christmas Jumper Day (which is also another new invention to make money !) reduced from £10 to £7.50 .Not bad!

Nelliemoser Fri 28-Nov-14 08:23:09

It has come too late for me following on my kitchen revamp. I have recently bought a new fridge and a cooker and I had to buy a new vacuum cleaner three weeks ago when the old one blew up.

I never seem to be in the right place at the right time.

I hope my ASDA is not like that. I am off as soon as I have eaten.

For change today I now have a cooker in the dining room instead of our grotty old fridge which was removed to the big fridge container at the tip recycling centre yesterday. That will be here until Currys come to connect it on Tuesday.

mollie65 Fri 28-Nov-14 08:19:18

have bought a few (sub £20) items on Amazon that would be useful but I always check the current selling price (not RRP) before they go into the black Friday mayhem as otherwise the %age off is very misleading shock
much prefer the end of the january/summer sales (or even Ebay) particularly for clothes (jeans and t shirts and dog walking clothes)
most of the 'bargains' seem to be 'not so much' and as for Qing and 'sleeping in cars' - nowt so strange as folk grin