Gransnet forums

Chat

Bagging a Black Friday bargain

(66 Posts)
Kiora Thu 27-Nov-14 22:24:51

Are any of you tempted to join in the apparent rush for bargains this Friday? I just think it's another ploy to get us to spend more money( I'm getting very cynical in my old age) I'd rather wait for the January sales when I'V recovered from Christmas.

numberplease Fri 28-Nov-14 17:13:52

I was going to buy hubby some things from Bonmarche for Christmas, and have just spotted that there`s 25% off everything bought online up to midnight tonight, so will be buying shortly, and collecting in store to save delivery charges.

Lona Fri 28-Nov-14 17:19:09

The tv pictures are shocking! What is happening to people? Greed!
I find it utterly repulsive and I wonder how much will be put on credit by folk who can't really afford it?

suevie34 Fri 28-Nov-14 17:37:36

The tv pictures certainly are shocking Lona. I am disgusted. 'Black Friday' is an unwelcome import if it results in the sheer mayhem that I saw today.

bookdreamer Fri 28-Nov-14 17:55:12

People are trying to get a bargain!! For goodness sake

bookdreamer Fri 28-Nov-14 17:59:15

Just like Boxing Day or the January sales

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 18:11:28

I'm not shocked or disgusted. It's capitalism.

Actually, it's nearly as bad in the January sales.

Lona Fri 28-Nov-14 18:17:15

They've been fighting and hitting/pushing children over/trampling people underfoot!
Is that the way to get a bargain? For goodness sake?

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Nov-14 18:21:02

Just watching the news now. It's really shocking. The January sales used to be bad enough but this......?

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 18:24:27

Is it because there is less money around?
That causes people to go the extra mile.

Rosannie Fri 28-Nov-14 18:51:14

I've been shopping just outside Clitheroe, had a nice lunch, glass of wine, bought a couple of candles - no fighting, pushing or shoving though!
Each to his own I suppose.

FlicketyB Fri 28-Nov-14 20:22:21

After reading all the Black Friday stuff,I didn't go out until 7.00pm to collect something from Homebase that had to be collected today and all the roads were clear. We also went in to our local branch of B&M Bargains and it was really quite festive with carols and Christmas decorations and the local army cadet force collecting for charity. We were offered a mince pie, but we had just had supper so didn't really want anymore to eat.

rosequartz Fri 28-Nov-14 20:57:09

We went to Sainsbury's and it was just like a normal Friday - although there was 25% off if you bought six bottles of wine. Did not get a chance to bargain hunt as DH had had enough after helping do the weekly shop!

harrigran Sat 29-Nov-14 00:13:48

I bought Molton Brown smellies with 30% off this morning, quite a saving.

grannyactivist Sat 29-Nov-14 00:28:22

Oh harrigran I'm envy. Glad I didn't know they were discounted because I can't afford any this month.

harrigran Sat 29-Nov-14 12:33:31

The discount on the Molton Brown website was 20% but the 30% offer came through my bank, certain accounts get special offers smile