Gransnet forums

Chat

What to wear on Christmas Day?

(76 Posts)
Teetime Wed 17-Dec-14 09:00:37

Some people like to spend the day relaxing in their new PJs others don the designer schmutter. We like to dress up. This year I have black velvet trousers and a wine coloured sparkly top from Monsoon. DH usually gets out smart trousers, a nice shirt and his sparkly waistcoat. DD2 always wears something nice but her DH doesn't see the point and can barely be encouraged to shave. GS likes to stay in his pj's. What will you be doing?

J52 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:07:31

I like to dress up for Christmas day. The velvet trouser sparkly top option sounds good. I have a new dress, I might wear that. Depends on the weather.
DH wears something that will go with the new jumper that always finds itself into one of his presents! x

glammanana Wed 17-Dec-14 09:13:16

Black trousers and black loose top finished off with black and red scarf thats it for me,I'll wear heels for meeting and greeting but once cooking is underway they will be banished for comfy mules,hair done in a long plait to stay tidy and out of the way,other half loves his Arran sweater over Christmas with a Festive T shirt under for when he gets too warm he does however always wear a big Christmas badge which the DCs gave him years ago and always gets it out to wear with pride.Last year DGCs arrived and stayed in their onesies all day.

loopylou Wed 17-Dec-14 09:13:24

I wear whatever I feel comfortable in, if invited out then dress up. As will have 16 month old GS running around most likely to be casual!

Tegan Wed 17-Dec-14 09:47:06

Given that we're billynomates this Christmas I'll probably stay in my pyjamas sad.....

anniezzz09 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:55:37

What a lovely simple thread, thank you. We always go for a long hike on Christmas Day so after a leisurely pj-ed breakfast, it'll be walking gear. Then changing into something comfortable with an expanding waistband for our evening Christmas meal.

Happy Christmas to everyone! smile

Grannybug Wed 17-Dec-14 10:06:27

Jeans and a sparkly / Christmas jumper as will have 3 under threes and lots of family around. Oh yes and a Christmas cooks hat to cook in! Silly but fun.

Brendawymms Wed 17-Dec-14 10:11:54

I found an unworn Orvis blouse ( still with label attached) in my Charity shop and a wool skirt the same shade as one of the colours in the blouse. So, for £10 that's my Christmas Day outfit tchgrin

Charleygirl Wed 17-Dec-14 10:16:18

I may get dressed, depends on my mood that day.

soontobe Wed 17-Dec-14 10:25:53

A bit above normal, that is all.

shysal Wed 17-Dec-14 10:29:37

A red top with black trousers or jeans. Only slightly smarter than normal. I go for comfort and nothing too warm for cooking.

kittylester Wed 17-Dec-14 10:30:24

Something washable - with a very big pinny on top. We have 6 DGC around all day. tchgrin

ninathenana Wed 17-Dec-14 12:25:10

kitty a big pinny on top that made me smile. Mum always liked to have a new pinny for Christmas day. If she didn't think she'd be given one she would buy her own.

DH always wears smart trousers and shirt. I will wear skirt and sparkly top. DS no doubt will be in his uniform of jeans and T-shirt.

#shakesheadindispair

vegasmags Wed 17-Dec-14 12:55:07

Jeans and T shirt topped with Christmas jumper. I'm not a bad cook, but I make one hell of a mess, even covered with my voluminous pinny which bears the legend Crazy Mother Cooker. tchgrin

Stansgran Wed 17-Dec-14 13:01:23

I have an ancient red and green plaid skirt and alternate a red wool jumper with a green one over the years when I'm doing the cooking. It is a joke really but I have carried doing it and wear a festive apron over it holly printed and wipe clean.

loopylou Wed 17-Dec-14 13:16:41

Used to have a wipe clean apron Stansgran but got fed up with jeans getting covered in drips smile. Am definitely a messy chef!

rosequartz Wed 17-Dec-14 13:20:22

I am not cooking, so black velvet trousers (which need turning up [grump]) and a top of some sort - may try Monsoon!

Pittcity Wed 17-Dec-14 13:20:35

Jeans and Christmas jumper this year as we are house hopping! Found a 100% cotton jumper in Peacocks, so I won't be too hot - have already tried it out!!

rosequartz Wed 17-Dec-14 13:22:42

sorry, this is meant to be a cheerful thread, I am NOT grumpy at the thought of having to turn up the hem on my trousers, positively gleeful and can't wait tchgrin

rockgran Wed 17-Dec-14 14:09:57

Reasonably smart - I read a good tip years ago that you should do your hair and makeup etc. before you do anything else because you never know what will happen and who might see you. This year it will be a FaceTime with the grandkids so some make up is definitely important - don't want to frighten them! On the plus side I can wear comfy trousers as they won't be on show. I always like to wear some Christmassy earrings.tchsmile

spottssr Wed 17-Dec-14 14:12:50

I have been enlightened by reading these posts. I'd always expected "dressed up" for Christmas and was disheartened last year by DS and DIL's dress at dinner. I now know better, chacun a son gout!

loopylou Wed 17-Dec-14 14:21:51

I think more important to be comfortable and practical otherwise I would be worrying about my outfit. Is important others feel comfortable too, so happy if they dress up or not tchgrin, just love having family around, and friends welcome to drop in too!

Lona Wed 17-Dec-14 14:28:57

Slightly sparkly, slightly see through, black Monsoon top over skinny jacquard Monsoon (sale) pants with black suede boots as I'm going out this year!
To ds's, so I shall take cheerful slipper boots as dgd insists shoes off! at the door. tchgrin

merlotgran Wed 17-Dec-14 14:29:08

We try and combine smart and casual. I think I'll wear black trousers with a loose fitting top although I might wear my smarter jeans.....Not the ones I normally wear for walking the dogs and feeding the chickens. I'll probably do that in my PJs shoved inside my wellies. DH will wear cords and baggy shirt because he always gets hot and bothered when stuck indoors all day.

My Cath Kidston pinny will be on most of the day. I usually forget it until somebody yells, 'Mum, take it OFF'

Lapwing Wed 17-Dec-14 14:39:03

Definitely casual - I love to be comfortable - then after our guests go home into my sparkly PJs.