Gransnet forums

Chat

Just a thought,(although you have probably all sorted it)

(36 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 20-Dec-14 18:59:08

Evening all, this was prompted by kittylesters" thread re. the recovering alcoholics (sorry *kittylester for putting it that way)

I have stocked up on Appletiser and Schloer white grape stuff (they also do a red grape one).

The reason for this is that it does not look as obviously "non alcoholic" as some drinks, and will therefore (hopefully) deter any awkward questions.

The Schloer white grape (of which I currently have a glass, and jolly nice it is too! [tchsmile) is indistinguishable from white wine, and I'm sure the red grape would be when compared to red wine.

I have posted this as I once had a problem with a guest in the same situation as kittylester's and at the time only had orange juice or lemonade to offer, so I have since made sure that other "suitable" drinks were available!

janerowena Sat 20-Dec-14 21:34:55

For those of you with redcurrants, can I suggest this?

www.swedishfood.com/swedish-drink-recipes/180-redcurrant-cordial

It's delicious and certainly not too sweet. If you add sparkling water to it it's wonderful. It keeps for around six months or so, but you can add 8ozs of sugar per lb if you want to make it last longer. I have to hold back bottles of it to save for Xmas in our house, because I do have quite a few friends who don't drink, nor does SiL.

As for me - I like mine made into redcurrant gin or vodka! It makes a change from sloes.

absent Sat 20-Dec-14 23:57:16

I shall drink wine on Christmas Day, while Mr absent, absent ex-husband and absent son-in-law will drink beer. Absentdaughter is heavily pregnant and her tipple will be non-alcoholic. I shall see of I can find something interesting for her to drink.

PRINTMISS Sun 21-Dec-14 09:24:20

I have never found an alcoholic drink that I really enjoy, so avoid these and always ask for a lemonade, or water. I once went to a rather 'posh'do with Italian waiters, and had a really hard job explaining that I wanted lemonade. In the end the young man brought me a whole bottle, poured a sample in the glass for me, I nodded enthusiastically, and he left the bottle - I was anybody's after that. That does not mean I don't take seriously the problems for alcoholics, I do, and have enormous respect for those who can quit.

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 09:56:31

We have lots of redcurrants in the freezer, I may try that, thanks janer

Teetime Sun 21-Dec-14 10:01:56

I found 3 nice grown up soft drinks in M & S this year with those lovely old fashioned rubber stoppers. Hibiscus, Ginger and Lemon and Elderflower Sodas. DH likes plenty of soft drinks as he gets nasty migraines if he has more than 2 glasses of anything alcoholic in a day.

ginny Sun 21-Dec-14 10:24:06

I have never drunk alcohol. When asked what I'd like to drink I simply ask what soft drinks are available. The times that someone has tried to get me to have something stronger I have just said that I don't like alcoholic drinks. Plenty of delicious soft drinks around .

kittylester Sun 21-Dec-14 10:53:47

We buy the Elderflower Presse made by Belvoir and any other of their flavours that attract us. As they are made locally (in the Vale of Belvoir) we quite often see items about them on the local news. The chap they speak to most is called Pev Manners (that's Peveril, after his castle, doncha know) wine

kittylester Sun 21-Dec-14 10:54:29

Didn't get what your 'cock up' was phoenix tchconfused

granjura Sun 21-Dec-14 15:08:30

We drink very little when on our own- but we will have plenty to share over Christmas and enjoy it thoroughly. Do love Belvoir elderflower cordial- but as we can't get it here, I made my own this year and it was wonderful. Will make a lot more next year. We brought over a young red elderflower tree from our uk garden- and it has thrived up here in the mountains. The leaves a a gorgeous red, and the flowers a beautiful shade of pink- so the cordial was 'rosé'. All gone I'm afraid.

Never made any slow gin this year, first year in a long time- used to make lots and it was quite a hit with DD1's friends in London.

suzied Sun 21-Dec-14 17:31:58

I like a glass or three but also like elderflower or citron presse, less sweet. Cranberry juice with soda is a nice long drink, and for Christmas try pomegranate juice with soda( or champagne) .