Gransnet forums

Chat

Just got a fright.......

(28 Posts)
Katek Mon 22-Dec-14 16:42:45

I was happily whiling away the afternoon with my book when suddenly the front door opened, then there was a huge thud and bang and the door slammed shut. I ventured into the hall to discover it was a courier delivery of two large parcels which were now half way down the hall. Fortunately there was nothing breakable and I do appreciate that these couriers get paid a pittance per parcel delivery, but could they at least knock? My heart was in my throat for a good couple of minutes.

TwiceAsNice Wed 24-Dec-14 19:31:04

My back door which is a patio door is kept locked with key on a shelf easily accessible to me but not to a burgular. The front door is not locked when I'm in but door is locked for anyone outside but not me inside. I keep the key nearby in the hall. I always lock it when I go to bed and all doors and windows are locked when I go out. I also have a bolt and padlock on the side gate leading to the back garden. My insurance policy says I should keep my doors and windows locked when I'm out of the house otherwise it's invalidated.

overthehill Thu 01-Jan-15 21:17:10

Further to my post a couple of days ago. We had a knock on the door the other night and our neighbour and one from across the road had seen someone acting suspiciously at our neighbour the other side house.
They had gone away for Christmas and not left any lights on and all the Christmas lights were switched off of course, so this person put two and two together. Luckily he was scared off. We told our neighbours when they came home and have now purchased some time switches to go on and off.
I do think an alarm would be better though.