Gransnet forums

Chat

libraries

(33 Posts)
sparkygran Fri 02-Jan-15 18:14:09

I am hopping mad in fact furious my local library who have books for me awaiting collection have closed from 22.12.14-5.01.15. I have been left bookless - I had a new 650 page book which I enjoyed over the holidays and then needed to stock up with others but no they were closed. I know I will be told this is due to "budget cuts" and no staff as they have sacked all the Agency staff but it just isn`t good enough - how do you feel?

Purpledaffodil Sat 03-Jan-15 10:56:32

Back in the 70s we used to send books that had been in a house with infectious diseases to be treated (autoclaved?) it was then pronounced that books did not carry infection so the practice was discontinued.
Interestingly, in my next career as a teacher, we were not allowed to use toilet roll middles for junk modelling as they might carry infection and had to be microwaved if used. Wonder which theory was correct?

booboo Sat 03-Jan-15 11:08:30

School libraries are being closed too. The school where I worked last year was in a wealthy part of Kent. It was taken over by a large academy chain last year.
Half a dozen Academy Directors etc turned up on the first day in their BMWs and Mercs and announced that they wanted to 'transform' the learning experience of our students. The librarian was made redundant immediately and during the half term holiday the library had disappeared to make way for a 'conference centre'. This means a few tables and chairs and a row of old computers. Oh and a 'Costa' coffee machine. I have left now but I rarely saw anyone use the 'Conference Centre', except to put their hard earned cash in the machine.

booboo Sat 03-Jan-15 11:12:02

......sorry got a bee in my proverbial now.
What about the buildings that houses these closed libraries? Were they not bequeathed to the nation for the benefit of all by notable anthropologists?

.....not to mention the books! Those lovely Everyman classics that were gifted to all schools/ Where are they now?

soontobe Sat 03-Jan-15 11:13:55

School libraries as well? That is awful.

sparkygran Sat 03-Jan-15 11:38:19

Soontobe I wasn`t told and didn`t see any notice to say library was closing for so long. Have been told that an edict came from Central Library to all libraries telling them they could decide themselves how long to close over the holidays! I said I hoped the staff who took time off were not being paid and apparently they had to take annual leave. But that doesn`t make it any better for the borrower it says to me that there is no sense of loyalty to their library or the people who use it. It is a library with computers and various activities eg book club, children`s story time, classes etc.

Roll on Monday sunshine

libra10 Sun 04-Jan-15 09:41:54

I find that my kindle comes in handy these days, there are so many books on offer.

Iam64 Sun 04-Jan-15 09:48:46

The cuts have left local councils in the impossible position of trying to maintain essential services and library staff, like so many other public servants, are facing the strong possibility they won't have a job in the not to distant future.

Our local council planned that the library in our village/suburb should be closed on the basis that we're seen as a fairly affluent area, so we could all afford to do the 3 mile journey into town to use the main library. The demographic here is of an ageing population living alongside young families with children. That is, people most likely to make use of a library. Ours was saved on this round of cuts, thankfully. The pressure group continues and it's hoped to expand the library to involve more community groups. We currently have groups who meet to do knitting, reading, creative writing, archeology and other areas of interest. The building is too small for a cafe, but if it amalgamated with the health centre that would be great.