Gransnet forums

Chat

How far to go in holding back the years?

(78 Posts)
Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 18:03:53

Following in from the Judy Finnegan thread and the obvious dislike of plastic surgery amongst those on the thread, I just wondered how far are we prepared to go to? plastic surgery is apparently not favoured but what about Botox? Fillers? Hair dye? I've had cosmetic work done on my teeth(veneers), have my hair cut and coloured monthly and also have my nails done professionally every three weeks and also leg and eyebrow waxes. Most of my friends/family have their hair dyed as well, my best friend -also in her 60's- has a fab short, spiky cut in a lovely plum colour just now and she looks fab! My nails are currently a fetching shade of midnight blue!

NotTooOld Mon 19-Jan-15 20:11:12

Thanks, rosequartz. I'll get some of that.

rosequartz Mon 19-Jan-15 20:02:00

NotTooOld I used to push/cut mine and they became ragged (norty girl). When I started using Avoplex or cream they seemed to grow over my nails, but have now settled down and are neater.
Avoplex is a bit expensive but lasts for ages, you can buy it in Boots and probably elsewhere. It is avocado oil.

NotTooOld Mon 19-Jan-15 19:29:18

My cuticles grow up over my nails, if you see what I mean. For years I used that cuticle stuff to soften them and then gently pushed them back with a wooden orange stick wrapped with cotton wool. That didn't work and they became very ragged and sore. Now I leave them well alone, just rub in oil or hand cream. Where can I buy this Avoplex and will it help my cuticles, do you think?

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 18:05:29

I only have them on my thumbs, really, Ana. I can just about see them on my index fingers.

Using oil on my nails makes a huge difference. I soon know if I have been neglecting them lately.

rosequartz Mon 19-Jan-15 17:58:46

They get dry and break. I had a problem with a very 'ridged' nail because I had apparently damaged the nail bed and cuticle; using the Avoplex and/or cuticle cream it has grown out OK (not perfect) after about a year!
My nails split and flake, nourishing the cuticles seems to help them grow better as well.

Ana Mon 19-Jan-15 17:50:55

'do others'

Ana Mon 19-Jan-15 17:50:23

I've never understood the thing about cuticles. I can hardly see mine - why would they need anything done to them? What problems to others have with theirs?

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 17:50:13

I too had gardening nails and hands. I put oil on my hands, pop a pair of surgical gloves on and then gardening gloves over those. I got fed up with seeing hands that a crocodile would be ashamed of.

rosequartz Mon 19-Jan-15 17:50:05

I have used the Avoplex; the Boots own cuticle cream is good as well.

I am sure my split and raggy nails are a result of not using any for two or three months.
I must get back to the routine.

Coolgran65 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:46:36

Granjura - you can tell the salon exactly how you want your nails done.
I had to insist... yes I do want them that short. And now when I go, I cut a nail to my preferred length and they to the rest to match !! You can also have gel nails done to look like natural nails (only more groomed and healthy) but they don't last quite as long as the coloured gel polish.

The best ever grooming product has to be really good quality cuticle oil, applied 2 or 3 times a day. Immediate hydrating effect and cuticles look 500% better. I'm using OPI Avoplex Nail & Cuticle Replenishing Oil. The cheaper stuff doesn't work the same. Bargains to be found on eBay.

The gel nails that Katek mentions is what I get done, the procedure is very different from the 'gel nail polishes' that you can buy over the counter.

My nails were gardening nails.... no more. And it encourages you to wear rubber gloves when future gardening smile

Katek Mon 19-Jan-15 17:46:17

Oh I wouldn't/don't do anything for anyone else Jane....it's for me. Roseq, I'm with you-scared!!

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 17:36:17

When I got to 50, I thought - who am I trying to please, or fool? As long as I don't look ugly and ill-kempt, what's the point? Even if DBH and I split, I wouldn't be spending a small fortune on a facelift in the hope it might attract another man.

rosequartz Mon 19-Jan-15 17:31:12

It was me - having the baggy bits above removed but I am too scared. Someone I know had her eyes 'lifted' and it did make a tremendous difference!

Katek Mon 19-Jan-15 17:27:54

It's interesting that nobody on this thread is an advocate of any procedure other than good grooming to one extent or another.( I think someone mentioned eyes but I wasn't sure if they meant having them lifted or lasered for short sight.) Are we sensible, scared or just happy in our own skin??

granjura Mon 19-Jan-15 17:23:09

Never wore make-up when I was young apart from mascara- as i had perfect, slightly olive complexion in those days. Nails are awful due to so much gardening- wish I could find someone who would apply gel nails which look really natural and just long enough- I must say I hate the 'talons' many women were these days.

Hair is short and salt and pepper. Had it streaked until a few years ago, but when we moved here I thought I would stop- and I really like it.

NanKate Mon 19-Jan-15 17:21:09

Thanks for this KateK I got two nail procedures mixed up.

Katek Mon 19-Jan-15 17:05:54

Gel nails are a form of polish which is applied directly to your own nail but has to dry under a small uv lamp. As such it sits on your own nail like an ordinary polish which means that there are no gaps between nail and polish. It's extremely hard wearing and doesn't tend to chip so lasts longer. A gel pedicure will last for around 3 months.

Extensions are the fake nails that you stick on and you can get air gaps underneath them. This is what can lead to nail infections as moisture can get trapped and it then makes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. I've had gel polish nails done for 4 years and my own nails are fine. Wish I knew how to post pic of my current ones!

KatyK Mon 19-Jan-15 16:14:35

As someone who lost their teeth as a child and their hair recently I have struggled to look human never mind younger. I believe I do look younger than my 65 years with all my false bits (which are there through necessity not vanity) but it has been a b****y nightmare to be honest. False teeth and false hair. Despite al this I do my best. I am not really overweight, my skin is OK but some days I must admit I think what is the point? What else is going to disappear? Or indeed appear! I realise it is all relative but I look at some of these 'celebrities' having surgery and all sorts and think 'you should be grateful'. I know that's living in cloud cuckoo land however.

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 12:23:19

I have been using olive or almond oil, or bio oil, so I suppose in that case argon oil is another choice. I did try googling it but didn't find anything very specific.

Tegan Mon 19-Jan-15 12:18:31

I use it on my nails as well.

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 12:02:57

My sister gave me some Argon oil, I was wondering how to use it. I usually use olive oil in my top layer of hair and then just use the straighteners on it, so I suppose the Argon oil is an alternative. Thank you, I wasn't sure what to do with it!

NanKate Mon 19-Jan-15 11:55:20

Janerowena although gel nails can look good for a long time they are adhered to your own nails with strong glue I think and you have to have a light trained on them to set it all. Problem is if you had dodgy nails to begin with they can get worse when the gel nail is removed.

Many people just have it replaced every so often but I worry about getting a nail infection, which I did once (nothing to do with nail gel) and I was in agony.

J52 Mon 19-Jan-15 11:38:58

A little Argon oil spread through wet hair seems to deal with the frizz factor.

Over the years my dark auburn hair went white ( from about 35 onwards, inherited genes). I have gradually gone blonder. The hairdresser mixes up a lovely blonde shade from a couple of dyes. I have it cut to just below the chin, but I think people should wear their hair how it suits them.

The natural curl seems to be now frizz, hence the Argon oil. Which does work with blow drying and gives a lovely sheen.

My nails are awful and grow slowly, split and bend. I tried gel nails, bu they looked so false and left the underneath nail in poor condition. x

janerowena Mon 19-Jan-15 10:58:46

grin

I suppose the thing to take into consideration is, who do you want to look good for? If you are happy with your own appearance, then why change it? I worried myself sick about my nose for years because Ex commented on it once. I dearly wanted a cute little turned up nose. Now I am glad I have my straight one. Nowadays, especially at this time of year, I think DBH should be grateful that I am clean, have tidy nails and have cleaned my teeth!

rosequartz Mon 19-Jan-15 10:46:30

Oh, I must look about 102 then, au naturel wink