Gransnet forums

Chat

How far to go in holding back the years?

(77 Posts)
Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 18:03:53

Following in from the Judy Finnegan thread and the obvious dislike of plastic surgery amongst those on the thread, I just wondered how far are we prepared to go to? plastic surgery is apparently not favoured but what about Botox? Fillers? Hair dye? I've had cosmetic work done on my teeth(veneers), have my hair cut and coloured monthly and also have my nails done professionally every three weeks and also leg and eyebrow waxes. Most of my friends/family have their hair dyed as well, my best friend -also in her 60's- has a fab short, spiky cut in a lovely plum colour just now and she looks fab! My nails are currently a fetching shade of midnight blue!

Kiora Sun 18-Jan-15 18:16:34

I have my hair cut and dyed every 5 weeks. I use good face moisturisers. But that's my limit. I've somtimes wondered if I should make more effort but can't be arsed bothered. I've said this befor but deep down I know you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear or as I heared from one of my relatives on my very recent trip to liverpool 'you can't polish a turd' (They weren't talking about me in this instance) I will just have to grow old ....badly.

Mishap Sun 18-Jan-15 18:19:58

None of the above! I have naturally dark brown long hair (no grey yet!) and I trim my own fringe. I wear it loose or plaited. Beauty routine consists of washing face with water, a bit of cheap garnier face cream rubbed in and that's me done. No makeup - I have dark eyelashes so they don't need mascara, and a dark complexion that would look daft with anything on it. Nails are short so I can cuddle my dear GC without doing them a mischief, and play the piano (very badly) when the mood takes me. Used to use one of those things that look like an electric razor that whirl about and haul your leg hairs out, but don't need to any more as the hair gave up the fight and stopped growing about 3 years ago.

Think of all the money I am saving!

I'm 66 now and I intend to go grey gracefully when it arrives - but have a slight hankering for pink hair at some stage!

Mishap Sun 18-Jan-15 18:22:04

'you can't polish a turd' - love that! Glad they were not talking about you!

Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 18:23:05

Go for the pink hair Mishap!! This is a time for having fun.....!

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 18:43:23

I'd be scared of ending up looking like a lady (was she called Wildestein?) whose face was so tightly stretched she had no facial movements at all.
I should 'make more of myself' as my mother keeps telling me but lack of confidence stops me. I've had myself made-up in stores but never followed it up.
Maybe should make a belated New Year resolution!

Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 18:48:04

I also play piano badly.....grin

Mishap Sun 18-Jan-15 18:51:38

Belated New Year resolution should be to ignore Mum and do what makes YOU happy.

"Make more of yourself" - I would feel like following the pope's advice and punching her on the nose!

You are fine as you are - I am not looking at how you look but how you post and you sound just great to me! - intelligent, sensible, concerned for others. Go with that and stride forth with confidence.

See my post above - no expensive beauty routines or makeup for me.

FlicketyB Sun 18-Jan-15 18:52:07

The older we get the wider the variation of how a group of people the same age look.

Some one of 60 can be overweight, have white hair and lined skin and only wear 'age appropriate' clothes or still have little or no grey hair, be slim, with unlined skin and a keen eye for fashion. Neither looks young or old for their age. They are just illustrating the wider variations in looks that go with their, or any, particular age.

ninathenana Sun 18-Jan-15 18:56:02

Home dyed hair cut every 6-8 wks and moisturize my face when I remember.
I do like to paint my nails but that doesn't help with holding back the years.

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 18:56:37

Thank you Mishap, very much appreciated x

ninathenana Sun 18-Jan-15 19:00:34

Flickety.

I know you said "any particular age" but am curious do you or any other GN's think being over weight is aging, appearance wise ??

FlicketyB Sun 18-Jan-15 19:07:24

No, I was using 'overweight' in the sense of describing two extremes of appearance and anyway the range of how people look at any age is so varied, it is impossible to describe anyone as looking old or young for their years

absent Sun 18-Jan-15 19:08:18

Podgy faces probably have fewer wrinkles.

I think the years have already broken through in my case and there is no holding them back. I don't care.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 19:13:35

I don't care either. I quite like my grey hair. Sleep and fresh air make me look better. Better than any hair dye or expensive makeup. I can't stand the feel of nail varnish.

Ana Sun 18-Jan-15 19:16:11

I'm the same about nail polish - my nails feel they can't breathe!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 19:17:26

Exactly! (I nearly put that!)

Ana Sun 18-Jan-15 19:23:14

I do use a nail buffer though - think it makes them stronger as well as giving them a lovely shine smile

janerowena Sun 18-Jan-15 19:25:10

Being a little overweight is not a bad thing as you age, it plumps out the wrinkles in the face. The saying is, face or figure. As you age you cannot keep both. I have a slightly plump friend of 61 who was told to slim down in a hurry for her health. It has aged her horribly, I am hoping that her skin will shrink back in time, but she used to look so young for her age.

I don't see the point in doing too much. It's so easy to go just slightly over the top, I think. Also, people expect too much of you if you look too young. I have had women of my own age ask me to lift really heavy things, because 'you are younger than me'. I have arthritis everywhere and a dodgy back!

I colour my hair at the parting now, it keeps DBH happy but I wouldn't bother if it weren't for him. I never do my nails, I maybe do my toes once a year for our holiday. I use sun tan lotion every day from early Spring to Autumn and wear makeup when I go out. I cut my own hair when it starts to get out of control. I pluck out the odd hair in my eyebrows, and cut back the occasional long one. I don't have much leg hair and what I have is blonde so I never touch them.

I do very little really, I keep on telling DBH how cheap I am to run. Therefore I should be allowed to buy as many plants as I like. And since I don't spend a few hours every week having my hair and nails done, he shouldn't begrudge me my Sunday morning lie-in. (I think he gets lonely, he brings me up a fresh coffee every hour from 7am in the hope I will come downstairs)

tanith Sun 18-Jan-15 19:25:57

I love my grey hair its shiny and healthy what more could I ask... I use a good moisturiser day and night, my makeup is very sparing, just eyebrows and mascara mostly..
I don't bother with holding back the years , I'm 67 so what? I'm comfortable in the skin I'm in even if it is greying and wrinkly my family love me just as I am and I'm not trying to impress anyone else.

rosequartz Sun 18-Jan-15 19:31:47

I would like my eyes done!
And my teeth.

Perhaps I will just enquire about the teeth. smile with mouth closed

annsixty Sun 18-Jan-15 19:31:54

Just like to look good for my age.I don't want to look 5 years younger and certainly not 5 years older. I moisturise and use night cream but no longer dye my hair. A touch of foundation when going out but nothing else, after a certain age silk purse and sow's ears come to mind.

Juliette Sun 18-Jan-15 19:35:35

There's not enough Botox in the world to sort me out! I am quite healthy though , no medication , very happy and as I hurtle towards my 70th year my face is only a small part of who I am. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 19:37:16

Your legs do dry quicker in the mornings if you have shaved your legs.

absent Sun 18-Jan-15 19:40:24

I've never really understood the concept of "good for my age". I am 64 at the moment and, as far as I am concerned, that's how 64 looks.