Gransnet forums


Link for over-74 TV licence please!

(18 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 16:25:48

I paid for my TV licence for a year as it was due that day.

I am told I can convert it to a short term licence (until June) but I can't find a page where I can do this!
I just go round and round to the page where you pay....what am I doing wrong?

tanith Mon 19-Jan-15 16:29:21

I think this is what you are looking for..

AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 19:32:12

I still get to this page!

on which there is nothing about anything except paying!

Ana Mon 19-Jan-15 19:35:10

I had a look earlier, and yes you're right Alie - there's no option on the page it directs you to (to convert to a short-term licence) to actually do so! confused

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Jan-15 19:35:47

this page ?

tanith Mon 19-Jan-15 19:36:14

Ah I see what you mean.. I'm not sure where you go then sorry...

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Jan-15 19:39:16

When you reach 75 you apply for the free licence, they issue it and refund the extra money you paid when you bought your regular tv licence.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Jan-15 19:49:52

Or you could use this page

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 19-Jan-15 19:56:01

this answers it. I think Click on third answer down.

Ana Mon 19-Jan-15 20:01:53

'Your session has expired'! confused

AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 20:20:48

My third answer is about a Company Group Licence...this is getting a bit surreal......

Ana Mon 19-Jan-15 20:26:17

This at least gives you a phone number to call - and it does confirm what jingl said, that you'll get a refund of any overpaid licence fee once your free licence is issued when you reach 75.


AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 20:29:34

I have now found this, which may be useful for others here!:

What if I have already paid for a full year's TV Licence but am due to turn 75 before it expires?
Don't worry. We can convert your licence to a Short Term TV Licence, which will cover you until you qualify for a free Over 75 licence. If you have made any overpayments, we will send you a refund once your application is complete and your free Over 75 TV Licence has been issued.
To convert your licence to a Short Term TV Licence, please call 0300 790 6165 with the following information to hand:
Your name and address.
Your date of birth.
Your National Insurance number.
Your current TV Licence number.
Alternatively you can complete the online renewal form and we will send you a refund when we issue your free over 75 licence.

Except of course, that I obviously don't get the refund until NEXT YEAR!

AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 20:31:24

This is a con. People fall into the trap I did, because there is no option on that page, - which means they pay the full amount and BT keeps the extra until next year.

AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 20:32:48

Yes Ana thanks... I still think it's deliberate!

Brendawymms Mon 19-Jan-15 21:05:49

We got the refund very quickly. Only a month or two. You get a letter to say you don't have to pay it also.

AlieOxon Mon 19-Jan-15 21:16:52

Brenda did you get it after paying the full amount?

elisagrace Sat 30-Apr-16 08:27:10

Hi AlieOxon,
Here I am reproducing the solution to your problem:-
"You can usually request a refund for every three months left on your license. This means you could be refunded for three, six or nine months. To request a refund,you have to fill online refund form".
If you are not satisfied with the above solution, you can also visit TV license customer service here