Gransnet forums

Chat

Healthy diet

(82 Posts)
kittylester Fri 23-Jan-15 10:06:59

In view of all the changing advice we are given, are there things you feel you must (or indeed must NOT) eat to help keep you healthy?

Faye Sun 25-Jan-15 11:23:00

The problem with chewing gum is one of the many ingredients is aspartame, you can't win, it's everywhere.

I still use bicarbonate of soda, which is one of the ingredients in babies gripe water and alkaseltzer, for heartburn and indigestion or eat I some cucumber, celery, watermelon or an apple, they all work. Not that I have problems very often anymore, I know what causes it.

Falconbird Sun 25-Jan-15 12:46:05

Many thanks for the list of Alkaline food Faye. flowers

There is plenty here for me as I am a Veggie and on the edge of being Gluten intolerant.

I do find bananas very indigestible.

grannyactivist Sun 25-Jan-15 13:08:32

I have always watched the fats in my diet and usually chose the low-fat /low calorie option for anything I bought.
After Christmas I changed my diet:
Breakfast - bacon, egg, mushroom
Lunch - veg soup (maybe with a bit of cream or bacon or cheese in it) or a meat/cheese/avocado salad
Dinner - meat/fish and veg
For snacks I have hummus with carrot/celery or full-fat Greek yoghurt, sometimes I'll munch on a few almonds.

I think it's actually the first time for about thirty years that I've deliberately eaten fat and I am LOVING IT. I don't count calories or weigh food. It's not a weight loss 'diet', I'm simply eating what used to be regarded as 'normal' meals. I serve my meals on a dessert plate because that's the size dinner plates used to be. I have yet to feel hungry even though I'm eating far less between meals; after having a cooked breakfast I can only manage a small serving of lunch and I've started eating dinner slightly later because again I don't feel so hungry until 7ish.

I didn't change my diet for weight loss reasons, but because my husband and I started an experiment of not buying any food (dairy products and salad being the exceptions) and only eating what was in the fridge/freezer/store cupboards. We quickly ran out of the sweet stuff and gradually I realised I was eating the same sort of foods that I ate as a child - really basic staples. And now I am losing weight! Not much, just a pound or so a week, but whilst eating fatty pork chops and swirling full fat cream into my soup!! I seem to have more energy and for the first time in years I am generally sleeping well (although I'm having some very strange dreams!!).

(If you're wondering about our experiment I can tell you that we actually started at the beginning of November and still have quite a lot to get through from our store cupboards and we recently had a delivery of a pig that seems to have gone a long way to refilling one of the freezers. We ran out of potatoes some time ago so rice, quinoia, bulgar wheat and cous-cous are replacing them. Who knew we had so much tea and coffee? Or chick peas and lentils? The fruit and veg we froze last summer has been dented, but still plenty left. I'm missing onions, but we still have leeks on the allotment and lots of garlic. I'm very impressed with my husband who's made some amazingly inventive meals.)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 10:12:37

From today onwards I'm going back to my low fat way of eating. It's too easy to get caught up in the "fat is good" thing, and then start overdoing it. The remains of the Anchor spreadable is going in the bin, and I'm back on Benecol Light.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 10:16:21

Oh but now I've just read the whole of granny-a's thread and I'm starting to waver (waiver?).

Screeeeam! hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 10:19:02

Was the pig cut up granny-a? And dead?