Gransnet forums

Chat

NHS A&E staff.

(57 Posts)
glassortwo Sat 31-Jan-15 20:35:15

I spent last night in our local A&E department in Newcastle. My Father had to be admitted to hospital due to ongoing problems.

We arrived in the unit by ambulance at 11pm and my Mum and I left at 6.30 this morning and I can say that I take my hat off to the staff on A&E, how they could be cheery, professional and with the patience of saints I do not know.

It was pay weekend and the drunks came out in force to celebrate shock yes I have seen the programmes but have never experienced it first hand and I dont think I could be so charitable. The amount of Uni students that came through that door on a stretcher in a drunken stupor was astounding even after in our area where we have had students who have drowned in local rivers recently due to "reported drunkenness".

How those dedicated people can turn up night after night and know that the majority of patients will be admitted due to overindulgence is not a job its a vocation.

I take my hat off to them all.

Mishap Sat 31-Jan-15 20:44:13

Me too! When I was in A&E the staff were angels - they really were. Their kindness to me was faultless; their patience with the drunks almost superhuman. Hats off indeed.

soontobe Sat 31-Jan-15 20:44:53

Agreed.

Deedaa Sat 31-Jan-15 21:18:08

Totally agree - and the same goes for the paramedics! I remember one pair being so nice to MIL when she was being thoroughly unpleasant and ungrateful.

newist Sat 31-Jan-15 21:27:16

I hope your Dad gets well, is he still in hospital? flowers for you and your family

glassortwo Sat 31-Jan-15 21:37:11

new he won't get better. He is coming home very soon as there is nothing else can be done for him.

newist Sat 31-Jan-15 21:49:32

I am so very sorry, My Dad, a long time ago, was discharged from the RVI, in a similar situation, I shall think of you and your family.

annsixty Sat 31-Jan-15 22:02:51

We all come to this stage don't we and it is sad and emotional for all. Best wishes glassortwo for a peaceful conclusion for all your famiy and especially for your dear dad.

POGS Sun 01-Feb-15 01:38:49

glassortwo

It's something you understand only when you experience it isn't it!.

Too many people poo poo the idea it is a cause of concern but sadly the public perception of what an A&E department is supposed to be used for has simply got lost along the way and it must be debated to stop the misuse.

I am sorry to hear your news and can walk in your shoes. It sounds like a trying, sad time is on the cards for yourself and family and I wish you and your family the strength to cope with what is to come flowers

suzied Sun 01-Feb-15 08:03:46

My OH and SIL had to take their difficult 95 year old mum to a and e on Friday with breathing difficulties. The staff were brilliant, patient, kind and caring, despite being incredibly busy, and having to deal with anxious relatives as well as very sick patients. She is now on a ward and the staff there have been lovely as well. We have had some negative experiences with the NHS in the past, mainly due to stretched resources and too few staff, but this time has been as good as it could have been under the circumstances. It would be nice to have some way of highlighting the positives.

janeainsworth Sun 01-Feb-15 18:00:25

Thinking of you Glass flowers

ffinnochio Sun 01-Feb-15 18:04:15

Glass xx

I take my hat off to the A&E staff also, and to you as well.

baubles Sun 01-Feb-15 18:11:22

Glass a {{hug}} from me. X

A&E staff do a great job in sometimes very difficult and trying circumstances.

kittylester Mon 02-Feb-15 07:13:15

Exactly what baubles said!

glass, thinking of you and your family!

ayse Mon 02-Feb-15 07:22:28

Thinking of you all x [hug]

Sewsilver Mon 02-Feb-15 08:10:22

Thinking of you and your dad Glass.

numberplease Mon 02-Feb-15 08:12:23

Thinking of you Glass xx

Nelliemoser Mon 02-Feb-15 09:01:36

Glassortwo is right about the university students. There should be more work done in university "Fresher" weeks about changing the culture of heavy binge drinking.

Some towns have thought about introducing sobering up centres outside of A &E facilities. Largely for weekend binge drinkers and charging them them for their "hotel services."

DD had the care of a "fresher" student as a patient one night in ITU due to the quantity of alcohol he had drunk. That should not be what ITU is for.

How these A&E staff carry on dealing with these quite avoidable stresses from awkward drunks with as much good grace as they can and deal with very serious accidents and illness is commendable.

Experigran Mon 02-Feb-15 09:03:38

Three members of my family work in the local hospital and they find it very stressful. I have nothing but praise for all those nurses and doctors. However one question I put to my son, in my opinion summed up the problems they are all having. I asked him why, when there is such a shortage of beds, do they not re-open the wards they closed such a short while ago. His answer - "They are all offices now!" The administration and target checking has taken priority over the sick it seems.

PRINTMISS Mon 02-Feb-15 09:32:43

Experigran This happened to the hospital in the area we used to live. They still have a walk in clinic there, but A & E were transferred to another hospital some miles away, which now serves an area far too wide for its resources, hence there is inevitably a queue of ambulances and long waiting lists. The staff do a marvellous job, but working under pressure 24/7 takes it toll on everyone.

glassortwo Mon 02-Feb-15 13:41:09

Just thought I should let you all know my Father died last night.

gillybob Mon 02-Feb-15 13:46:29

Condolences on the death of your father Glass. I appreciate that there were "issues" surrounding your father so I hope that his passing will bring some peace for you all. Thinking of you. flowers

Elegran Mon 02-Feb-15 13:48:01

A stressful time for you, Glass, and it will not be over for a little while yet. Best wishes.

Ana Mon 02-Feb-15 13:48:54

glass flowers ((hug))

soontobe Mon 02-Feb-15 13:50:23

sad. So sorry for your loss.