Gransnet forums

Chat

Tipping yes or no or what?

(42 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 14-Feb-15 10:25:59

I'm going to the hairdresser today. It will cost what seems to me a fortune. The girl who does my hair is lovely and I always give her a fiver tip. Is that enough ? Should it be more? I just don't know the 'rules'. I always tip in restaurants if service has been good and round up taxi fares to nearest pound -slightly more sometimes. What do people think about tipping?

grumppa Sat 14-Feb-15 22:28:44

I tip my barber (there's old-fashioned!), cab drivers, and waiters where there is no service charge, preferably in cash rather than by having it added to the credit/debit card bill; anything from 10 - 15%.

ginny Sat 14-Feb-15 22:43:56

Grumpa I don't think have to pay it even if it is added on to your bill. I hate people assuming I will give a tip and ask for it to be taken off as I will decide if and what I will give.

vegasmags Sat 14-Feb-15 23:19:04

I tip for good service but not if I'm not satisfied.

Nelliemoser Sat 14-Feb-15 23:40:01

I pay about £2 tip and it goes into a communal box. My hair is very short anyway, but the woman who has been doing mine for years now does a good job and gets it short without being butch.

It took me a long time to find someone who could achieve the shape I want.

TerriS Sat 14-Feb-15 23:49:12

oh my goodness! Tipping £5??!! Never! I pay between £35-£85 (sometimes more, depending on what I have done) for my hair and quite honestly that is well over the top, so I don't give any more. They keep chasing me up to make another appointment if I haven't been for a while, so I figure that I must be a good customer! I think I should retrain as obviously this nursing job of mine isn't earning anywhere near the same kind of money!

rubylady Sun 15-Feb-15 00:54:53

Per hour TerriS it probably isn't. But keep up the good work, good nurses are hard to find.

I tip everyone although if I have had bad service and a service charge has already been added to my bill then I will ask for it to be taken off.

I do a sort of point system though for tipping which makes a taxi ride more enjoyable. No use of mobile phone 1 point, talking to me 1 point, polite 1 point, help with bags 1 point, etc., so if they talk on their phone and make no conversation then they get no tip at all but if they are chatty and polite and help with shopping then they get a fair tip, about £2 to £3 pounds over the fare. Restaurants I tip about 10% if no service charge, if service charge then it would have to be extremely good to get a tip on top.

Nanabelle Sun 15-Feb-15 01:00:13

Just why do people tip? I am not a tipper as I believe all these people are paid for their work. My friends tip as they are too embarrassed not to and believe it is the done thing. Bus drivers, cleaners, nurses, doctors, dentists,teachers, check out assistants in supermarkets, care workers etc etc are not tipped. Some say it is for good service. Well, surely that should be provided anyway? Why would you expect bad service?
Many hairdressers are self employed and set their own charges, which are at a higher rate of pay than say care workers, and Teaching Assistants and many other jobs.
I could never holiday in America as I cannot bear the way they hold out their hands for a tip!

Leah50 Sun 15-Feb-15 11:54:36

I only ever tip a couple of quid to hairdressers, taxi drivers and restaurants. I worked at home as a seamstress for many years for peanuts, on jobs that took days or even weeks. Some clients tipped, but many didn't. At Christmas I always tip my binman, postman and milkman, who are all brilliant.

janeainsworth Sun 15-Feb-15 12:16:26

nanabelle I give my cleaner £20 at Christmas.
I was a dentist in my former life and patients quite often gave us presents - boxes of chocolates, biscuits, or wine. I remember one emergency patient who was so grateful for being seen promptly apparently threw a £10 note at my practice manager, telling her to buy us all a drink at lunch time shock
And of course teachers are usually inundated with gifts at the end of the year.
Lots of people do like to show their appreciation and it's always valued by those who receive it.
You should remember that self-employed people like hairdressers get no sick pay, or holiday pay and have to buy all their own materials, take a hit when people cancel or don't turn up, and fund their own pensions. So what seems like a high hourly rate probably isn't, when you've taken all that into account.

As for America, I have travelled there a lot and no-one has ever held out their hand to me for a tip. Service in America is usually excellent.

Granoveve Sun 15-Feb-15 12:20:10

I don't tip in the hairdressers, though I do give money towards their Christmas outing. I tip in restaurants depending on the service and quality of food but NEVER when an ' optional' tip has already been added. I just ask for that to be removed.
I like it better when I can tip the waiter/ waitress directly. I'm waiting for the day when I get a tip after a full day of boisterous Y4s.

Granoveve Sun 15-Feb-15 14:11:40

Many teachers are not inundated with gifts. Many receive some gifts, it's true, once, maybe twice a year, but I feel for the parents now, when the child wants to give something to the TAs in the class as well. Last Christmas, that meant child A wanted 3 teacher presents. ( job share and PPA cover) and 2 TA presents. Child B wanted 2 teacher presents and 1 TA present. Thank heavens for £ shops!
No teacher or TA gets a tip at the end of each day's work.grin

Madwuman Sun 15-Feb-15 15:27:15

I usually tip to the nearest pound. If I visit a country where tips are considered to be part of the persons wages I will give about 10%. I think giving tips in this country is getting to be a joke. After all who tips hospital staff, shop staff etc. and they are more deserving than a local hairdresser

annodomini Sun 15-Feb-15 16:29:00

I wouldn't tip hospital staff but have been known to donate a box of biscuits to the ward nurses and HCAs.

Eloethan Sun 15-Feb-15 16:37:57

I don't tip my hairdresser because she owns the salon and is doing pretty well.

At other hairdressers I tip 10% of the bill and £1-2 if someone else washes my hair/gets me a drink, etc.

I tip 10% at restaurants but not if service has been very bad (it's only happened about three times).

FarNorth Sun 15-Feb-15 17:43:48

NHS staff and care workers are not allowed to accept cash gifts.

I once heard that it is bad form to tip the owner of a business, you should only tip the underlings.

Penstemmon Sun 15-Feb-15 18:18:04

I don't tip my hairdresser as he comes to my house to cut/colour and I wash my own hair..though I do feed him and keep him well watered with tea. I have known him for about 20+ years and tipped him when I first started to go to him in a salon but we are friends now..he came to my DDs wedding as he does her hair, her sister's, my DH and the DGC too! I have introduced other friends who also use him. I buy him a birthday and Xmas pressie grin
I usually add a bit to the fare for taxi drivers but only if they have made some sort of effort!
Waiting staff get a tip if not already included and then 10%+ depending on quality of service .
It is difficult because many staff can rely on tips, which is wrong they should be paid properly in the first place.
I did receive lots of flowers, chocs, mugs, pens and toiletries as a teacher which was lovely and appreciated. Nowadays, in many schools, the PTA class rep sends an envelope round for donations and then uses the collection to buy gifts for all who work in the class.
It is a bit of a minefield though!