Gransnet forums

Chat

I just bought a car!

(40 Posts)
Teetime Thu 05-Mar-15 15:52:03

When I retired five years ago DH and I decided to go down to one car which has been fine to be fair but recently I have been wanting my own car so I have juts bought a small, low emission second hand car a Suzuki Alto Play in Oyster Blue and I am so happy!!

petallus Thu 05-Mar-15 20:10:47

It might come to that! grin

Marmight Thu 05-Mar-15 20:16:11

Well done Teetime. Hope you enjoy your new 'toy'!
I can't imagine not having a car. I rely on having my own wheels so much. I am ashamed to say that there was a time when the late DH and I had 3 cars between us. His, mine and a large people carrier for when the children/gc's visited which I used more and more, so I sold my beloved ancient MX5 and after DH died, DD1 got the big car and I now have his car which I love. I become ridiculously attached to cars and would be very sad to part with it - but I must say the thought of a Porsche is very appealing [dream-on]wink

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-15 10:10:16

Tanith, the giddy limit for my Sil's friend came when her husband sat up in bed and announced 'I thought we could clean the cooker today!'

I must be the only person on here who doesn't like their Qashqai! We are getting rid of ours in a couple of weeks. confused

Juliette Fri 06-Mar-15 10:23:00

Just out of interest kitty why don't you like the Qashqai? DH looking to replace his BMW, which I hate on all sorts of levels. The Qashqai is high on his list of alternatives.

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-15 10:39:56

The lights (on mine at least) are appalling. The dashboard is sometimes difficult to see because of the steering wheel. Mine is a Plus 2 as we need a large boot to take DS's wheelchair but I don't think they make that anymore. I just find it a bit boring! I had a Rav4 previously, which I liked.

I love the glass roof on mine (which is, apparently, strong enough for a bear to sit on!) and will really miss the airiness of it as my new car has a solid roof.

My new car (a Honda CRV) is purple but we have persuaded DH that is it in actual fact a really pretty blue! grin I have previously had 2 CRVs and really like them. We are odd in that I drive the main car, initially because of having 5 children and latterly so we could fit in the wheelchair, while Dh has a small car. He currently has an IQ, which he says 'will see him out!' grin

My favourite car was my Peugeot 505 which we kept for 10 years!

tanith Fri 06-Mar-15 10:46:23

Kittylester {grin] OH and I had a 'moment' yesterday (he is now working part-time and will retire fully in June) so yesterday is a day off for him and after we ate breakfast he said 'shall we clean the outside windows?', 'ok' says I having done the insides the day before.
So after rooting around in the garage for 10 minutes 'where's the extending mop thingy?' , so, stop what I'm doing and go find the mop thingy. Then 'do we have a bucket big enough to dip it in?' through gritted teeth 'yes dear its the grey one on the floor'. 'What shall I use in the bucket?', 'water and washing up liquid will do'.

Five minutes in , 'can you find something to wipe the sills with', then, 'can you tell me how they look from inside?'.

OMFG!!!!! I wanted to shove the blooming extending thingy where the sun don't shine by this time.. angry

Also interested in what is it you don't like about the QQ?

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 10:46:26

Whilst the thought of a Porsche is tempting I don't think I could get in and out of it as too low sad
Poser neighbour bought a Cerbera and watching his rather large wife clambering in and out of it was really entertaining grin

tanith Fri 06-Mar-15 10:51:30

loopylou even OH's Astra is a struggle for me its way too low, these darn stiff hips/knees/back just won't bend how I want them too anymore.grin

Galen Fri 06-Mar-15 11:15:51

My merc B class is ok but I don't really like it. I only got it as my lovely old C class wouldn't take a hoist and a scooter. I don't drive much,currently the car is 4 years old and has done a total of 7000 miles!

GreatauntieLinda Fri 06-Mar-15 16:22:48

I love our Skoda Superb Estate (Automatic). Its DH's car. I did have a Volvo 940 for years but it got to the point where it just stood in the garage after I retired. I was only doing about 1000 a year. When we worked out how much it was costing us what with car tax, petrol and insurance it had to go the journey.

It was nice to have two cars, but DH doesn't drive these days due to ill health so it all falls to me, even towing our small touring caravan. I love driving and don't know what I would do if I didn't have access to a car.

Nonnie Fri 06-Mar-15 16:47:31

We have always had 2 cars and thought we would need them when we retired but 5 years down the line we are not so sure. A couple of months ago one of our DSs severely bent his car and it has been sitting on our drive every since while he drives my car. We really haven't missed it as we do quite a lot together. Next week there will be a clash so we have changed the appointments to fit in. I am now wondering whether getting a taxi when there is a clash would be a better idea than running 2 cars.

DH loves to drive but is a terrible passenger and I prefer to be driven so it works for us. He is happy to drop me off and pick me up if necessary as he had to do for quite a while when I couldn't drive because of an injury.

I would give my car to DS but he absolutely hates it! He is only waiting to see if the other driver makes an insurance claim before deciding whether to claim or just get another car.

I do have a secret hankering for a Fiat 500 but my car still has many years left in it so I doubt that will happen.

Good for you Teatime, enjoy.

Greyduster Sat 07-Mar-15 09:45:04

We went to pick up our new civic yesterday and while DH was sorting out the paperwork, I was poking around a Jazz in the showroom. "Have a sit in it. See how it feels" said the sales lady. "Please! No!" said DH. "She'll start to cry and refuse to get out and it'll be very embarrassing, and I'll have to leave!" So I didn'tsad.

kittylester Sat 07-Mar-15 10:04:35

I had a Jazz last week while mine was having its NOT. It was lovely! Unfortunately not big enough for us!! sad

kittylester Sat 07-Mar-15 10:30:16

NOT MOT!!!! Grrrrr!!!!