Gransnet forums

Chat

Australians needing UK car insurance

(37 Posts)
Eleanorre Sun 08-Mar-15 08:49:16

I know this is a long shot but wondered if anyone has any advice . My DBIL and his wife have a mobile home in the UK and have visited for four months each summer from their home in Australia . They always buy and old car and run it while they are here then sell it when they go. Up until now a relative of theirs stuck them on his business insurance and that was fine but in hindsight they probably were not covered if he did not say they did not live in the UK. Now that route is not possible they are finding it impossible to get a company to insure them as they do not live here the rest of the year. We tried adding them to our car insurance and lending them one of our cars but on that basis we were turned down flat. They found a company for Australia residents but as DBIL is 77 they said he was too old . They have tried Saga and other companies and have had no luck. If they have to hire a car instead of using their own ( already bought ) they will curtail their holiday because of the expense. Where they live there is no public transport. We did try an insurance broker but he was not much help either. Any thoughts folks ?

Juliet27 Sat 03-Jun-23 07:56:03

When my Australian daughter in law rented a car here she put her Australian address and the young guy dealing with the rental asked if that was in the EU. Bless him.

Grammaretto Sat 03-Jun-23 07:43:30

Ha ha! I didn't notice Calendargirl

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 02-Jun-23 19:33:23

Calendargirl

This thread is 8 years old!

Oops

Calendargirl Fri 02-Jun-23 19:27:33

This thread is 8 years old!

Grammaretto Fri 02-Jun-23 17:29:04

I lent my car to my NZ son for a few months last summer while he was in the UK. I rang my insurance company who asked me a few questions (his licence number, age and driving history) and then offered me a new policy with him on it for a year and charged me £100 less than I was currently paying for comprehensive insurance.
I was delighted!

PamelaJ1 Fri 02-Jun-23 17:19:40

When DD and DSin law visit we put them on our insurance and they drive our car. Never had a problem.
DD used to have a U.K. licence, S in L never has.
It doesn’t cost much, I think last time it was about £30.

ParlorGames Fri 02-Jun-23 15:48:24

Can't the BIL just rent a car whilst visiting the UK? Surely that's no different to when any one of us goes abroad and hires a car.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 02-Jun-23 15:38:47

I’m sure that my BIL used his Motor Insurance company in Australia to insure him over here, when he used to come over for long holidays.

driverfixlicensekey Fri 02-Jun-23 14:23:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Janewhitesg Sat 14-May-22 15:57:50

We are looking for a way to insure our son who lives in Australia on our car when he visits in a couple of weeks. Our current insurance company can't insure him as he no longer has a UK driving licence (expired a couple of months ago. He does have an Australian driving licence. Can anyone advise me where to look please?

DaphneBroon Mon 25-Jul-16 22:09:20

Totally irrelevant
Oh and reported.

anamzara Mon 25-Jul-16 20:18:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

rosequartz Thu 12-Mar-15 09:32:48

I have told her and will let her sort it out...
It is not easy to find out from DVLA
Thanks!

hondagirl Thu 12-Mar-15 07:18:03

Sorry should have written There are different regulations.....

hondagirl Thu 12-Mar-15 07:15:29

are different regulations in different states. In WA where I am you are allowed to drive on your UK licence indefinitely if you are on a temporary visa. If you are a permanent resident on a permanent visa however you need to apply for a WA licence after 3 months. You can physically keep hold of your UK licence.

rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 22:58:48

Thankyou for all the info.
I have been scouring the web trying to find out. Probably she has done that and I didn't realise or have forgotten, but I will let her know.

granjura Wed 11-Mar-15 20:54:59

rosequartz- your licence is no longer legal after one year living abroad, as well as when address has not been changed to your current legal address. Not sure about OZ- but in Europe you have to take your licence to the equivalent of the DVLA in the country you are living- and your licence will be exchanged for a local one, your UK one taken away and sent back to DVLA. You can rent a car on a foreign licence (some age restrictions) but you can't have a car registered in UK and insure it if you do not have permanent address in UK, and not just a relatives or holiday address.

Again, not sure about regs with OZ, but I am pretty sure their UK licence should have been exchanged and returned to DVLA. Does anyone have a link to that effect (or exception clause for OZ).

Eleanorre Wed 11-Mar-15 18:44:21

Thanks for all the advice great sites but sadly age is the problem still. They do both have Australian driving licences and a fixed address here .We have contacted insurance brokers and tried other avenues but no luck so far. They have found it really cost effective to buy an oldish car run it for four months while here them sell it on . If there was money needing spent on it they did the minimum and got most of their money back when selling .That contrasts with over two thousand pound or more to hire .Insurance was on top of that.

Ana Wed 11-Mar-15 18:33:47

This is from the GOV.UK website about changing the address on your UK driving licence

"If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence."

Presumably that means they'd need to apply to have a licence issued by the new country, and the reason it's illegal for them to drive over here on the UK licence now is that their new address isn't on it.

rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 18:09:58

The insurance company should know the legal position though, shouldn't they? We have always been scrupulously truthful when asking for them to be put on our insurance for short-term visits.

I still can't understand why someone with a foreign driving licence can visit here and drive for up to 12 months but a person born in the UK with a UK driving licence, now resident abroad, is not allowed to drive here when visiting.

granjura Wed 11-Mar-15 15:58:21

Having a UK address is not sufficient- you have to state that you live there permanently. We have a flat in the UK, but we could not keep a car and insure it in the UK, as this address is not our permanent address and our main address is abroad. We could have lied on the form- and got insurance- but then should we have an accident, and if we injured others- it would have come to light and insurance would have not paid. Not worth the risk- so we got rid of our UK car- a shame.

rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 13:49:52

The people referred to in the OP do have a UK address I think (are you still there, Eleanorre?)

Whereas our DD goes on our insurance to drive our car.

loopylou Wed 11-Mar-15 12:47:01

I don't know how you get the insurance without a UK address, wouldn't it be easier to hire a car cheaply, which would include insurance? By the time you bought the car, however cheaply, you might need to renew the tax, MOT it etc during the period you own it and then there's the hassle of selling it at the end too.

rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 12:33:55

hondagirl I can find nothing on the DVLA website about this.

Surely you can drive with a UK licence with an overseas address? If not, that would seem ludicrous as visitors with non-UK licences are allowed to drive here for up to 12 months.

rosequartz Wed 11-Mar-15 12:11:54

I didn't realise that it wasn't legal to drive on a UK licence in the UK if you're not a permanent resident - whenever I have put DD on ours the insurance company has never mentioned this.