Gransnet forums

Chat

Tidying up

(100 Posts)
Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 16:14:03

I seem to have some vital gene missing that induces a desire to tidy up - I can tolerate a pretty grand degree of muddle before the urge to tidy up hits me - well, gently taps me on the shoulder.

I am trying to tidy the music room which is full of sheet music, books of music, instruments etc. and it is in a huge state of chaos. We just get a piece of music out, play/sing it and it stays where it is, as I am always quite sure I will be playing it again in the next few days or that, if I put it away, I will forget where it is when I need it!

I have been working on this for the last two hours and all I seem to be doing is moving stuff from one place (top of the piano now looks great!) to some other place (which now looks grim!). Is this stuff-shifting characteristic of your tidying? - and do you ever feel you have achieved anything?

There are lots of dead woodlice now consigned to the rubbish bin! (hides head in shame!).

janerowena Mon 09-Mar-15 22:55:42

Mine sits on the stairs waiting to be carried up. I split it into piles belonging to each wearer. I only carry my own up now, as I need to hang on to the rail, and have noticed that sometimes DS's pile can teeter alarmingly before he gives in and carries it up.

merlotgran Mon 09-Mar-15 23:00:31

Mine sits on the dining room table as well until I spot the cat edging closer with a kind of, 'That looks like a cozy place for an afternoon snooze' look in her eye.

numberplease Mon 09-Mar-15 23:16:19

Petra, if you don`t like the clutter of ornaments, it`d drive you dotty in my house, I love my ornaments! One of my daughter`s is a minimalist, she hates my ornaments with a passion! When I`m no longer here, the only one of my kids who`s interested in them is youngest son, and only because they might be worth something!

Faye Tue 10-Mar-15 06:41:15

I asked middle GD then just four and her friend to put the dolls away they had been playing with. GD sat down and said "I'll watch." hmm

When I was babysitting, youngest GD then 2 had just woken from her afternoon sleep. I went into her bedroom as I got her out of bed I asked what she would like to do and her answer, "pack up." She wanted to put the toys away she had previously left on her bedroom floor. confused What two year old does that?

aprilgrace Tue 10-Mar-15 07:40:43

My MiL and SiL can't leave the house until they've " got turned round"
I'm not particularly untidy but this " getting turned round" always eluded me.

absent Tue 10-Mar-15 08:05:54

Faye I think it's an age thing. The only one of my five grandchildren who spontaneously puts away the Mega Blocks, Lego, train set, jigsaw puzzles, Lunch Box game and sundry other toys in the toy boxes is the two-year-old. The others will do it only if I shout (or much better grandmother) promise a "good boy" or "good girl" stamp for the backs of their hands – I have a set of six different colours and pictures. There's still one child who likes to watch the others doing the work.

Mishap Tue 10-Mar-15 09:37:29

Oh yes - the piles on the stairs! They do reduce gradually but then there is always something new added!

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 10:03:34

I asked DGS then about 4 to pick up his toy cars from the lawn before the lawn was cut. He went and sat on the bank and gazed at his toys with an agonised look on his face then put his head in his hands and sat there for 20 minutes. Eventually, when he heard the lawnmower coming and realised that I wasn't going to pick them up for him for him, he stomped around and picked them up.
Is it a 'man thing'? hmm

loopylou Tue 10-Mar-15 10:04:47

Scary in a 4 year old roseq!

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 10:08:01

Just stubborn! Takes after SIL of course!

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 10:11:42

Whereas I was just being strong-minded and not giving in and running to help him grin

petra Tue 10-Mar-15 10:43:11

A couple of you have mentioned ironing in the dining room and, left on the bottom of the stairs.
Am I the only one who Irons in the bedroom? It seems the obvious place to me. As there is only the two of us, what I iron gets put in the wardrobe/drawers straight away.

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 10:49:10

Am I the only one who puts the ironed stuff into the airing cupboard?
Then eventually (sometimes) it gets transferred to drawers, wardrobes.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:50:10

rose...a couple of years ago I asked DD, then 4, to pick up her tiara (!) from the rug in the living room. She looked at me with disdain and said "Am I your slave? I feel like a slave. I have to do everything in this place. The cleaning, the cooking..."

Can't think where she got that from blush

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-15 10:51:24

Ps - what's an iron?!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:56:03

April I know exactly what your MIL and SisIL mean! And I love the phrase "got turned round". If I don't get 'turned round' before I go out, I just know I won't do it when I get back.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:57:37

Things get lost in airing cupboards rose. And then you have to turn the whole sodding flippin' cupboard out to find it. Sigh.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:59:02

(I am being polite with the not swearing because CariGNHQ is reading the thread)

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 11:22:01

But it's great when you find things again!

Guess what I've been doing this morning. Tidying!
Just in case any of you popped in for brew and [cake]

But one person's tidy could be another person's mess.
And as a consequence the ironing didn't get done.

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 11:26:01

Cari that's the problem with all today's princesses (and princes) they think we have been put on this earth to pick up after them.
Is she called Kevin? ' I have to do everything round here' grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-15 11:35:52

I should add the tiara goes with a spiderman outfit grin

Yes - stamped out that little notion very quickly!! The weird thing is that certain forms of helping she seems to think are a treat. But long may that continue

TriciaF Tue 10-Mar-15 11:37:50

"I have to do everything round here!" that's what I shout at husband, fairly often.
Now I know I'm not alone.
Yesterday he said he would make a list for me of all the jobs I do, some weekly, some daily, some 3 times a day etc. Then make another list for himself.
He's good at tidying up though.

Galen Tue 10-Mar-15 11:58:19

Bedroom 4 is Kate the cleaner's domain, it has all junk stored items, flat bed press, iron and ironing board and anything I want out of the way when I have the rabble Gransnet visitors!

rosequartz Tue 10-Mar-15 12:09:14

At least it's all in one room Galen

I have given in now.
The sunshine is out

Galen Tue 10-Mar-15 12:12:37

The conservatory is where all the toys get stored here, along with my wool stash and other craft projects which are around twit things.