Gransnet forums

Chat

Today's meander through FB.......

(37 Posts)
Katek Thu 26-Mar-15 09:45:18

I was having my second cuppa of the day and a quick trawl through FB and came across an item that niggled me. The headline was on the lines of "When this cat heard it's human baby brother crying... ". They're not brothers!! I do have concerns about the increasing tendency for people to humanise (too early in the day for anthropomorphism I thought grin) their pets. Don't get me wrong-I'm an animal lover, have had cats for over 40 years, dogs (sadly neither of us fit enough to walk a dog now) and an assortment of rodents plus a Shetland pony, but they are much loved pets, not small humans in fur coats. I hate it when people talk about being mum/dad to their animals......loving owners yes, but not related! And don't get me started on dogs in cute outfits.....aaargh!

Galen Thu 26-Mar-15 17:31:53

Who? The bet or the cat?confused

Galen Thu 26-Mar-15 17:32:13

Vet not bet

granjura Thu 26-Mar-15 18:17:58

A wonderful nature smilie- a photo of 3 birds of prey, 2 soaring and 1 in the middle below flying- the best smilie I've ever seen. Beautiful.

Deedaa Thu 26-Mar-15 21:30:36

I think I'd rather see people with furbabies than those dreadful creepy lifelike baby dolls.

ajanela Fri 27-Mar-15 07:21:17

I had a Belgium Shepherd dog and a very large secure garden with a kennel People were amazed I left her in the garden when I went out. She had a wonderful time chasing squirrels she never caught. This is a more natural way for this type of dog rather than being in doors. I think many more dogs would be happier spending more time outside.

Ariadne Fri 27-Mar-15 08:57:44

Dogs licking babies' faces? Ugh - I agree. I love animals, but that is what they are, not children. Companions, yes.

Digressing - another think that I loathe on FB are those sick making posts with some dreadful, saccharine saying about daughters or GC or something and saying "click here if you have a wonderful ...."

EEJit Fri 27-Mar-15 09:52:12

I hate to see dogs in clothes, they're covered in fur for crying out loud, well, most of them are.

Our Sasha, the dog, hates having her car harness on so I hate to think what would happen if we tried to put clothes on her.

The only exception are those hairless things, Chinese Crested I think they are called. The obviously need something in winter, but not in summer.

I do have to admit to referring to each other as mam and dad when talking to the dog, as in "Go find your mam", but Sasha just looks as if to say "Who?"

I also have to admit that I'm not a lover of cats, sorry cat lovers, so why is it that when visiting cat owners, the damn things always want to sit in my knee?, The cats that is, not the owners!

Wheniwasyourage Fri 27-Mar-15 10:49:08

Even the thought of a dog licking someone's face gives me the dry boaks. Look at what else they lick, for pete's sake! I can't stand the dog-owners who think you want to "play" with their badly-trained pet when you are just out for a run or a walk. They wouldn't expect you to break off what you were doing to play with their children, would they? I would much rather talk to someone's child than their dog, anyway.

IMO we need a dog licence back and compulsory chipping with a DNA register so that we can find out which letter box to deliver unretrieved dog poo through. grin

(Now waits for outraged response from dog-lovers on behalf of the poor pensioners who couldn't afford a dog licence.)

sunseeker Fri 27-Mar-15 10:56:42

EEjit The reason cats always want to sit on your lap is that they know you aren't keen on them and are merely imposing their will on you! grin

EEJit Sat 28-Mar-15 07:27:00

LOL I can believe that Sunseeker.

No complaints from me about the licence either.

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 07:56:51

Wheniwas
From 6 April 2013 all dog were required to have a microchip, but owners were allowed 3 years to get their dogs chipped. So by April 2016 all dogs MUST be chipped.

Local authorities, the police, dog wardens and vets will all have scanners be encouraged to continue to scan routinely. After 6 April 2016 owners of dogs in England that come to the attention of the police or local authorities will be scanned. Those found without a microchip will have the benefits explained to them and be given a short period to comply. If they fail to chip their dog, owners will face a fine of up to £500.