Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotter shoe company award

(77 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 21:16:33

I heard on the news that Hotter Shoes won an award recently, but maybe somebody should tell them we are not happy with shoes that disintegrate if not worn enough?

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 21:26:03

Are you?
Not a problemI have encountered. Which style was it?

aggie Thu 23-Apr-15 21:30:05

OOOOOOOOOO is that why my last year sandals are falling apart , big lumps of black crumbly rubber falling out of the soles !
............... only they aren't Hotter ,

Charleygirl Thu 23-Apr-15 21:51:22

I wear their shoes and I have never encountered that.

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 21:52:46

I had that too, aggie, but mine were Pavers...grin

janerowena Thu 23-Apr-15 22:05:32

None of mine have fallen apart! Only my M&S ones.

Leticia Thu 23-Apr-15 22:07:40

I love their shoes. The only ones that are really comfortable and wear extremely well.

fluttERBY123 Thu 23-Apr-15 22:13:53

I had to stop getting Hotter sandals because of the insoles. They all seem to be made of some absorbent stuff that eventually begins to pong. Pavers have leather insoles, no probs there.

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 22:49:26

Until the heels disintegrate....

ginny Thu 23-Apr-15 23:40:35

No problem with Hitters here. I love them. Casual, active and have just bought a pair for my DDs wedding and was comfortable all day and evening.

Leticia Fri 24-Apr-15 07:04:53

I have bought some for my son's wedding. I wanted to be absolutely sure that I had a pair that would be comfortable all day and they are the only make that I am sure of.
I have never had a problem with the insoles and I wear them with bare feet in the summer and walk miles in them.

Iam64 Fri 24-Apr-15 07:34:29

I love Hotters shoes, they're about the only ones I can find that will take the orthotics. I just wish they were a bit more stylish…..

Leticia Fri 24-Apr-15 08:13:56

They are getting more stylish- they used to be very 'old ladyish' but I managed to find wedding ones that look good too. I had a wonderful pair of boots for the winter.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Apr-15 08:25:49

I took a pair back last year because the soles disintegrated completely within a hundred yards walk. I too was told I hadn't worn them enough - and shouldn't expect shoes to last more than three years. Apparently it's the new really light weight composite stuff. Nike have the same problem (she said). My complaining wasn't well recieved!

I know of two other people who've had the same problem - one lady had two pairs fall to pieces. I daren't wear my lovely comfy purple walking boots any distance now as they're four years old. Such a pity. I did so love Hotter.

POGS Fri 24-Apr-15 08:30:34

First time we came across this was on holiday about 4 years ago.

Hubby and I were walking around Great Yarmouth and he said my feet are starting to hurt, I looked at his feet and burst out laughing his soles had literally disappeared and there was as trail of black bits everywhere he had walked. His nickname was Hansel all weekend. He was wearing Clark's shoes I think.

It is a problem and it's caused by companies using a process called Injection Molded Polyurethane Foam. It can result in soles only lasting for 4/5 years sometimes.

I don't know how/why but when we went to buy hubby some shoes on the day, obviously, the assistant in the shoe shop told us that shoes with this type of sole fair better if worn regularly rather than being stored in a cupboard, no idea if that's true or not.

Mishap Fri 24-Apr-15 08:35:46

I've had no problems with Hotter so far. I too choose them because mostly you can get the orthotic to fit in.

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 08:54:19

No problems with mine, and most are more than 4 years old, very odd!

annodomini Fri 24-Apr-15 09:24:17

I've been wearing Hotter shoes for years and am sitting here in a pair of their slippers. I have two pairs of black shoes which I wear regularly - one of which has been with me for about five years and has taken me round Paris and Rome with no problems.

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 13:50:38

Google Hotter shoes falling apart, and see the comments!We had another thread on this just a short while ago but maybe not many saw it.nfkdumpling told us about her shoes and there were lots of other comments about it.It's not only Hotter, it's Clarks and also M&S.The substance used PU is very comfy, moulded soles BUT has to be compressed regularly ie. Worn and walked on, to get liquid out.If you buy a pair don't pop them into a cupboard and not wear them for a while.This can especially happen with fancy pairs, which you may only buy for the odd social 'do'.It happened to a friend of ours when he was at a wedding, oh the embarrassment!

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 13:52:53

Both myself and Mr Roses bought a pair of Hotters just last month, and we have been wearing them a lot!

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 13:53:32

Of course, it would help if all assistants in shoe shops told customers about this.

POGS Fri 24-Apr-15 14:14:21

rosesarered

Ah, that explains my post brilliantly.

I wondered why he said that. 'Wear them regularly not store them'

I have 3 pairs of winter boots that I fear will cause me problems then.

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 19:38:04

oh dear POGS, three pairs?wear them all in turn, the weather is turning colder now!Knowing about this problem, I will not now buy anything there in the sales, say boots or Winter shoes, and put them away.It means buying everything in season and one pair at a time.Not good news for all of us with Imelda Marcos type tendencies.

janerowena Fri 24-Apr-15 20:01:46

sad I always said she was a much misunderstood person - I have two pairs of their boots and probably getting on for a dozen pairs of shoes, all bought over the past four years, so I suppose they will all start to fall apart this year!

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 20:06:29

Wear them all like mad , Jane, you may catch them in time!