Gransnet forums

Chat

I need to stand more

(10 Posts)
NanKate Mon 15-Jun-15 17:07:40

I read in the paper today that to get/remain slim women (and presumably men) need to stand more. I sit far too much hence I am feeling a bit porky. hmm

Ana Mon 15-Jun-15 17:09:48

So what's stopping you...? grin

tanith Mon 15-Jun-15 17:28:59

I'm up and down like a fiddlers elbow so my OH tells me so I'll ok then grin
Just do it NanKate

hildajenniJ Mon 15-Jun-15 17:32:05

Stand more? I stand at work for three hours, stand to do ironing, stand to prepare meals, bake etc. How come I'm not getting slim then? Quite the reverse in my case. I must be standing wrong!! grin

whitewave Mon 15-Jun-15 18:49:33

All this exercise business and weight lose is a con, IMO - I walk the dog for about 2hrs a day and don't lose an oz - that only happens when I restrict my intake, and that is with huge difficulty. tut tut

J52 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:23:48

I suppose by standing you move more and burn more calories.

Who was the woman, in the 50s, who advocated keep fit while doing the housework?
x

rosesarered Mon 15-Jun-15 20:12:30

Doing housework IS keeping fit!

Jomarie Mon 15-Jun-15 20:16:38

J52 the name "Eileen Fowler" springs to mind - I don't know why - I remember my granny doing arm exercises in the kitchen - stretch up twice, stretch out to the sides twice and then she said "that's enough exercise for today". She was a card my granny. Still miss her. smile

NanKate Mon 15-Jun-15 21:55:49

To answer your question Ana I think it is just habit that I sit down to do things. I will make a concerted effort to raise my rear and stand up. grin

PRINTMISS Tue 16-Jun-15 09:12:02

Jomarie your granny sounds just like me, I used to watch Eileen Fowler (she was still around not so long ago) and do what your granny did for a few minutes (seconds?) then that was enough! It takes an awful lot of dedication I think to do exercises at home on your own, and even more to get myself up and out in order to go to classes.