Gransnet forums

Chat

Age UK Lottery

(14 Posts)
12Michael Sun 21-Jun-15 07:28:46

I do the lottery with Age UK nearly 2 years now but have never won anything, I am now tempted to cancel direct debit with it.
As my chances of winning are zero.
Mick

absent Sun 21-Jun-15 07:34:19

I am with Edmund Burke on this – a lottery is a tax on all fools.

PRINTMISS Sun 21-Jun-15 08:00:41

Does some of the cash go to Age UK Mick? I do one with United Response, the organisation which cares for our son, and 25% of my lottery payment goes to that charity. I also do a little one with the Air Ambulance, but would pay for that anyway without the reward, because of the great job they do. Yer pays your money and yer take your chance, as my dad used to say. - he was a compulsive gambler.

Teetime Sun 21-Jun-15 09:25:09

Several good causes run lotteries in which you stand a better chance of winning but the prizes are smaller but you know that money has gone directly to a good cause. We have a children's hospice nearby that has its own lottery so I do that one from time to time.

Riverwalk Sun 21-Jun-15 09:30:09

When you buy a charity lottery ticket isn't the intention that you are donating to that charity but at the back of your mind there's a faint hope that you might win something?

absent Sun 21-Jun-15 09:34:05

Why not just make a donation? Just asking.

Dayzy Fri 02-Oct-15 09:56:30

Well, Mick, your chances of winning aren't zero, they are just really low, because there are no lotteries, with really good chances... these lotteries australian lotto results for example have one chance in 8 million to win......sad

henetha Fri 02-Oct-15 10:10:52

I've been doing the Devon Air Ambulance lottery for almost 3 years now and have never won anything, but I console myself by realising that it is a brilliantly good cause. Winning would be a lovely bonus, but is not the main priority for doing it. I think the odds of winning any lottery are very low, but at least charity ones are worthwhile.

geeljay Fri 02-Oct-15 11:13:10

I do the Air Ambulance, and have always really considered it a donation. But with the National, our odds, apparently, are 14 million to one!!!

amy333 Tue 11-Apr-17 03:49:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grannyknot Tue 11-Apr-17 06:43:08

Reported as spam ^^.

mumofmadboys Tue 11-Apr-17 07:23:07

Has anyone on here won a sizeable sum in a lottery ?

harrigran Tue 11-Apr-17 10:29:35

Now that would be telling grin

Badenkate Tue 11-Apr-17 13:05:25

When I helped with a local hospice lottery, I know that often winners would donate their winnings back to the hospice