Gransnet forums

Chat

Hand Washing

(41 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 04-Jul-15 09:02:02

Do you know how often you wash your hands?

I've just kept a record of one day's hand washing to help DGD with her homework and I was amazed by how often I was my hands. Before I kept a tally I'd have said that I did it around a dozen times a day but actually it's far more.

Apart from the obvious bathroom handwashing times I also wash my hands before and after handling raw food, before eating, before, during and after preparing food, when I've been to the dustbin, after coughing, sneezing or blowing my nose, touching an animal, coming in from the outside, after housework, after washing up....the list goes on and on. Yesterday I washed my hands 42 times!

HappyNan1 Sun 05-Jul-15 08:10:57

Brilliant Bellasnana, I'll teach my Gch that.

Stansgran Sun 05-Jul-15 09:03:38

We had a cat who adored DH and I noticed that after said cat had been sitting on his knee being petted ha always got up to wash his hands very thoroughly. He is also a thorough hand washer and nail scrubber with water all over the place.

TriciaF Sun 05-Jul-15 10:41:40

I have very dry thin skin so wear gloves for different jobs, especially involving water.
And I always seem to have some kind of wound with a plaster on - currently a blistered finger.

Meercat Sun 05-Jul-15 18:06:23

I once remember a friend of my aunt saying that she loved making pastry because afterwards her hands were nice and clean shock Somehow I could never quite bring my self to eat things that she had mad after that.

Not really about hand washing but the thread brought her to mind. smile

NfkDumpling Mon 06-Jul-15 08:38:05

Ninathenana - I follow more or less the same hand washing regime as you - after loo, before handling food/meals and when they're dirty. But it's surprising how many hand washes this adds up to - unless you're sitting in the sun reading a book all day!

And how do people manage without a nailbrush?

Judthepud2 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:16:59

Standing in a long queue at a public ladies' toilet one day I was very shocked to see how many people left the room WITHOUT washing their hands at all shock I was sorely tempted to pull them up on this but wimped out from confrontation with strangers.

I did actually use the handwipes I carry in my bag for the DGCs after I had used the door handle. Felt a bit sick TBH!

etheltbags1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:22:26

I learned to wash my hands regularly when on chemo as my immune system was affected, I used to wash before preparing food, during and before I ate it. I used anti bac gel too on my hands.I now know that the antibac gel can cause cancer so I don't use it now. |I found I had washed my hands 42 times just preparing a meal so I was becoming a bit OCD, however I have eased off as Im not on chemo now but I am very careful
My elderly mother cleans the cat lit tray with no gloves on and then puts it in the bin, then picks up the vacuum cleaner then goes to do the dishes without washing her hands I cannot get her to wash after doing the cat tray, then after the vacuuming. she says shes 83 now and never been ill in her life so why start washing hands now.
I follow her around with the spray doing the door handles when shes not looking. she also uses a foam scrubber for her dishes for weeks on end, I dispose of mine daily.

Ana Mon 06-Jul-15 21:25:12

You can sterilise those foam scrubbers in the microwave, ethel - saves having to throw them away every day.

etheltbags1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:29:33

ana how do you do it, it costs me a fortune even with the cheap ones.

Ana Mon 06-Jul-15 22:10:16

The heat generated by microwaving a sponge for two minutes kills 99% of the microbes. Just make sure they're wet when you put them in.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Jul-15 00:21:27

I do that too. I also microwave dish cloths and flannels.

etheltbags1 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:35:12

thank you ana I did not know that, I will do mine today and try and get my mother to do all her cloths. She has cloths for floor, dishcloths, cloths for the bench, for the loo, the windows etc (well maybe not putting the loo cloth in the microwave ).

etheltbags1 Thu 09-Jul-15 22:17:33

been doing my cloths and sponges today, they smell nice and clean even the one I used to clean the carpet where the cat had spat his chewing gum. yes my cat like his gum.

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Jul-15 06:43:45

Seriously? Your cat eats chewing gum?

etheltbags1 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:26:53

yes my cat likes his gum, I don't give him it of course but Im lazy and sometimes leave mine on the side of my plate and he pinches it, chews it for a while then spits it out, I think he likes the mint taste. My girl cat looks down her whiskers at him with chewing gum as though she is disgusted.